+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Shedding hair follicles FUE

I know from reading multiple things that it's normal to lose transplanted hairs during the process of removing scabs. I have been instructed to rub the recipient area 10 days post op to help remove the scabs. I have felt little to no pain while doing this and have not experienced any bleeding. I did do some dry rubbing when I probably shouldn't have, but I was very careful. This all seems normal from my understanding. I received 750 grafts to help restore my hairline on 3/13/13. I did not receive the operation from a highly reputable doctor, but from one that has done operations on a few of my friends who have gotten great results.

The question I have is about shedding the hair follicles themselves. I have read in multiple places that the hair shouldn't shed until after the 2 week mark with some minor growth. However, most of my transplanted hair has already shed just shy of 2 weeks post op. Most of the hair was very short and did not seem as if it had any growth before shedding. This is where my confusion has landed.

Is it normal that I have shed these hairs earlier than the expected time?
    Have I possibly hurt the recipient area by rubbing off the scabs which may resulted in a premature shed?

I'm sure these questions have been answered at some point, but I haven't been able to come across them. Any advice/ information would be great. Thanks.

Doctor Representative
    UK available to meet London and south east.

Hi Robola

In my experience I shedded most after week 2 and 3 and this is greatly due to the fact I did not rub my scalp in the first days but only soaked the scalp and rinsed off.

Seeing you rubbed early then this would have encouraged the hairs to disengage and fall early and this doesn't as such reflect on the outcome. If you lose a graft then you would generally know this as opposed to losing the hair only.

I never massaged dry but always wet and in circular motion with fingertips but these are issues that a clinic usually advise on with post op documentation/presentation.

Hope you heal well and all the best for your growth to come, but be patient and not overly concerned that you shed hairs slightly earlier.
    Representative for IAHRS Member, Dr. Chris Bisanga
    View Dr. Bisanga's IAHRS Profile

Thanks for the input.

Hopefully I didn't hurt any of the grafts by rubbing the scabs while they were dry.