+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia Question...(s)

Hello all, am new to the forums, found this place amazing, as a 22 year old who is just starting to deal with the "Joys" of hair loss ....

First saw the signs starting about 7months ago, my hair going at the temples and getting so much thinner.

finally got the courage up to go to my GP 3 weeks ago, and although he didnt have to much knowledge on hair loss, i started on Propecia 2 weeks ago.

just a quick question really, i had a look on the forums but couldnt see if it had been asked anywhere else.

Is the a best time of day to take Propecia?

and does it matter if its taken at the same time every day ?

2weeks in and im still a little nervous, i understand it can take many months to maybe notice a difference, so all my fingers are crossed/

thankyou Phil

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Phil,
    I do not think it really matters what time of the day you take Propecia. However, it is important that you take it at the same time every day (Every 24 hrs). As long as you are not having any side effects, and most likely you have found that out within the first few weeks, I would continue taking the medication. You should give Propecia at least 9-12 months to give it a fair chance to work. Remember seeing results with Propecia is difficult. The primary reason you should be taking it is to prevent further hair loss, not necessarily to see new hair growth.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Doctor Charles:

This is interesting. I did not know it is important to take Propecia at the same time every day. I usually take mine at random times within the day, usually with food, because I can't swallow pills too well (even something as small as Propecia). Sometimes I take my Propecia with a cookie in the morning or a burger at nite; just whenever I remember to take it during the daytime as long as I am taking it with food. Given that Propecia lowers the DHT levels to an overall lower steady-state and that it would take some time before the DHT re-emerges at its higher, hair loss-inducing levels (all of this is as I understand it), then does it actually matter what time of day I take it? I've been on Propecia for well over a year, and just want to make certain.

Thank you for always helping us Doctor Charles.

TeeJay

Based on information provided by Merck and other Propecia data it is recommended that the medication be taken every 24hrs. One of the main reasons for this dosing instruction is based on the 1/2 life of the medication. It most likely is more effective if there is a steady concentration of the medication within the blood stream. They feel that 1 dose every 24 hrs is necessary to accomplish this, and gives Propecia the best chance to have positive effects on the patient.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default Steady level?

Hello Doctor Charles.

I'm 24 and have been using Propecia for 3 months and is now starting to see early slight results - and have experienced no side-effects so far. I have not been able to take Propecia at exactly the same time every day as you recommend and therefore is worrying somewhat about the 1/2 life of the medication. I've now started trying to take the medication both in the morning (between 9-12) and in the evening (between 9-12) to ensure that the 1/2 life of the medication will not become an issue even if I forget to take it once or twice (as I tend to do...) You write: "It most likely is more effective if there is a steady concentration of the medication within the blood stream. They feel that 1 dose every 24 hrs is necessary to accomplish this" and I therefore made the conclusion that 1 dose about every 12 hours would at least not make the product "less" effective. Am I worrying too much about the 1/2 life of the medication (since taking the med exactly the same time every day is apparently a challenge for me) and therefore "overmedicating" myself with no good reason?

Thanks for your sound advice in the forum.

Regards,

Inprogress...

I would go back to taking it once a day. Do your best to take it every 24 hrs, but do not be to concerned if you forget every so often. I hate to see someone taking more medications than necessary.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile