+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Not true.

http://www.rahalhairtransplant.com/

Look at rahal's poster boy with his hair pushed up.

That is a NW1.
    Interesting. What NW was he before the transplant that brought him down to a NW1?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Thanks for this. Just two questions if you have a bit of time, (a) can a NW 2.5+ go to a NW1 after a hair transplant, and (b) can anybody become a candidate for a HP, and if not - what would be the conditions for not been an eligible candidate?

Thanks
    I agree with Tracy. Generally speaking a good surgeon will not try to make you a Norwood 1.

I know it sounds depressing. Is the doctor refusing just for spite? No. He will refuse because of two main factors.

Men who want a norwood 1 are usually under 30 and just want their original hairline back. Unfortunately, if the doctor does this, the patient will continue to bald behind it and eventually end up with 'Joe Biden' syndrome. Doctors need to know how bald you will become before they set expectations of a permanent hairline.

Fin and Minox can help stave off balding, but nobody knows yet if it can repel the balding forever. Its too new.

I am almost 47, and am a Norwood 3 A . Which means no crown loss just on top diffuse thinning. At my age its almost a guarantee I will never bald. So now its just a matter of how many grafts it will take to make me a norwood 1.

But I am find with some recede. I think a Norwood 2 with some recede at the temples looks mature, masculine and the ladies like it.

Just think it over.

I will post picks of good looking men with Norwood 2 with recedes on the sides if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    I agree with Tracy. Generally speaking a good surgeon will not try to make you a Norwood 1.

I know it sounds depressing. Is the doctor refusing just for spite? No. He will refuse because of two main factors.

Men who want a norwood 1 are usually under 30 and just want their original hairline back. Unfortunately, if the doctor does this, the patient will continue to bald behind it and eventually end up with 'Joe Biden' syndrome. Doctors need to know how bald you will become before they set expectations of a permanent hairline.

Fin and Minox can help stave off balding, but nobody knows yet if it can repel the balding forever. Its too new.

I am almost 47, and am a Norwood 3 A . Which means no crown loss just on top diffuse thinning. At my age its almost a guarantee I will never bald. So now its just a matter of how many grafts it will take to make me a norwood 1.

But I am find with some recede. I think a Norwood 2 with some recede at the temples looks mature, masculine and the ladies like it.

Just think it over.

I will post picks of good looking men with Norwood 2 with recedes on the sides if you wish.
    Ok, how about a NW 1.5 then? Look I don't care about whether it will recede in future because I'd be more than willing to get another HP down the line, along with using meds/ the big 3 etc to halt some further loss. Money has nothing to do with this, I put my own personal well-being before having extra money in the bank, so if I have worked for and raised enough of my money to get the hairline I wish for, why should I be denied this given that I've saved up for such a service and am willing to undergo it?

Ok, how about a NW 1.5 then? Look I don't care about whether it will recede in future because I'd be more than willing to get another HP down the line, along with using meds/ the big 3 etc to halt some further loss. Money has nothing to do with this, I put my own personal well-being before having extra money in the bank, so if I have worked for and raised enough of my money to get the hairline I wish for, why should I be denied this given that I've saved up for such a service and am willing to undergo it?
    Can I ask how old you are and can u put up a quick picture or two so we know what we are dealing with? There are lots of good folks on here who are trained professionals who can advise you better than I.

Post up pics of your hair and lets take a look.

Can I ask how old you are and can u put up a quick picture or two so we know what we are dealing with? There are lots of good folks on here who are trained professionals who can advise you better than I.

Post up pics of your hair and lets take a look.
    No, because I have a webcam that doesn't work unfortunately. Anyway, I've already gone to a clinic and they suggested NW 2.5 or thereabouts and that is good enough for me. I'm 27 years of age and have noticed receding for about 3 years now - it's particularly bad at the temples. I also have thick hair where MPB hasn't gained a foothold, also my maternal grandfather retained a good head of hair up until the age of 70, and even today at nearly 78 has a good hairline for a man of his age - I don't know if all of this makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Not true.
    It is true. Please read what I said before you reply and make note of the fact that I said MOST. The words MOST and ALL do not mean the same thing. If you are not going to read what I write, do not reply to what I said. There are special circumstances. This person may have been one of those. If not, Dr. Rahal made a very unethical decision to do this that will haunt this patient later in his life - and Dr. Rahal knows that.

It is time for you stop beating up on me and do some real home work. Call each and every doctor on the IAHRS list and ask each and every one of them if they will do it. Then give me the names of each and every doctor who says they will do it - and why they will agree to do it. Post those names and their justifications for doing so here in this thread. Get to work and leave me alone until you are done. Do not respond to a single thing I post and don't say a single word to me until you are done.

I see, but I don't understand why it is unethical?
    Generally, the risks of the surgery outweighs the perceived benefit - and it is often a pointless waste of valuable donor hair that will likely be needed later in life as the patients' hair loss progresses through it's natural course. There are special circumstances though. A male who is transgendered is just one example of special circumstances. Males who are transgendered and decide to transition often get themselves castrated. Since castration completely halts the natural progression of hereditary hair loss, the concern for preserving donor capacity for future procedures is eliminated.

Another special circumstance would be a patient who responds exceptionally well to Propecia and completely halts the natural progression of his hereditary hair loss as a result of that exceptional response. A more conservative doctor will likely still refuse to restore a Norwood 1 for such a patient though.

Another special circumstance would be a patient with severe body dismorphic disorder who is willing to accept the possibility of running out of donor hair as his hereditary hair loss progresses. The doctor weighs these realities very heavily before agreeing to restore a Norwood 1 hair line for the patient. Ultimately, the decision is with the patient at that time - and it is usually a very bad decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Generally, the risks of the surgery outweighs the perceived benefit - and it is often a pointless waste of valuable donor hair that will likely be needed later in life as the patients' hair loss progresses through it's natural course. There are special circumstances though. A male who is transgendered is just one example of special circumstances. Males who are transgendered and decide to transition often get themselves castrated. Since castration completely halts the natural progression of hereditary hair loss, the concern for preserving donor capacity for future procedures is eliminated.

Another special circumstance would be a patient who responds exceptionally well to Propecia and completely halts the natural progression of his hereditary hair loss as a result of that exceptional response. A more conservative doctor will likely still refuse to restore a Norwood 1 for such a patient though.

Another special circumstance would be a patient with severe body dismorphic disorder who is willing to accept the possibility of running out of donor hair as his hereditary hair loss progresses. The doctor weighs these realities very heavily before agreeing to restore a Norwood 1 hair line for the patient. Ultimately, the decision is with the patient at that time - and it is usually a very bad decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life.
    Ok, but how long does it take to know whether or not propecia has halted a person's hair loss? Also, aren't breakthroughs been made in regards to grafting facial and body hair onto transplant patients so that in future HP's won't be limited to the donor area, and that getting a NW1 transplant would therefore be less risky?

Ok, but how long does it take to know whether or not propecia has halted a person's hair loss? Also, aren't breakthroughs been made in regards to grafting facial and body hair onto transplant patients so that in future HP's won't be limited to the donor area, and that getting a NW1 transplant would therefore be less risky?
    I understand where you are coming from dude. I started losing my front hairline when I was 20.

I would have traded my left nut to have it back , but what if I went Norwood 6 or 7 bald by age 35 or 40? We dont have enough hair grafts to possibly cover that. On average, we have about 7000 grafts from our scalp. To get the maximum benefit, I would recommend a FUT as they can harvest them all and have a 99% regrowth .

As for body hair, you are right. Once they perfect the FUE to extract body hair and attain at least 90% regrowth, then a whole world opens up for almost anyone going bald. However, sometimes the body hair simply wont regrow after being moved. Scalp hair always regrows no matter where you place it.

We are not here to try to take any rights away from you or rain on your parade. We are just telling you our experience and what we know. If you want a norwood 1 hairline, and find a doctor willing to do it, then if you are 18 or older, you have the right to make that decision for yourself.

Let us know how it goes

I would have traded my left nut to have it back , but what if I went Norwood 6 or 7 bald by age 35 or 40? We dont have enough hair grafts to possibly cover that. On average, we have about 7000 grafts from our scalp. To get the maximum benefit, I would recommend a FUT as they can harvest them all and have a 99% regrowth .
    Really, so FUT transplants are actually better in the long run than FUE transplants? Also, what do you mean by regrowth - is it regrowth in hair, or regrowth in the donor region? Also, just out of mild curiosity, if what you are saying is true, then why are FUE operations on average 2-3 times more expensive than FUT operations given what you've just stated?

Thanks.