+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah, but when you're in the stages of diffusion and haven't just shaved it off, the matted hair looks so horrible. It looks horrible on me now, and I still have a bit of density left.

I also know the comfort of wearing a hat in public. In some weird, (self)sadistic way, I just like forcing myself to not have the comfort. Same reason why I cut my hair shorter and shorter after diffusion. I could grow my hair out an inch and no one would even know I was balding -- except me: I would always know it's there, and that's all that matters.

Either fin is going to save my hair or I'm buzzing mine like you Exodus. I will never be that dude with see through hair all over the top. No way.

There's nothing wrong with wearing a hat. I wore one everyday when I went out since I live in a cold climate. I just yesterday cut my hair short with a #4 guard since it's starting to get a little warmer now that it's spring. I plan to sport the short cut all spring & summer long. It actually doesn't look too bad and I don't care if people say anything negative or not.

I generally wear a hat while outdoors: a beret or fedora for warmth in winter and a Panama for sun protection in summer. There's really no other way about it.

But what about the stringy hair that can have a way of matting down or flying away, no matter how well combed it has been? Plain and simple: pomade. I rub it all about my head, but pay special attention to my crown and what's left of my forelock, then combing it close to the scalp at an angle of about 30° forward from straight across. Ever since I started doing that, I've had no hat-related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalardy View Post
    I generally wear a hat while outdoors: a beret or fedora for warmth in winter and a Panama for sun protection in summer. There's really no other way about it.

But what about the stringy hair that can have a way of matting down or flying away, no matter how well combed it has been? Plain and simple: pomade. I rub it all about my head, but pay special attention to my crown and what's left of my forelock, then combing it close to the scalp at an angle of about 30° forward from straight across. Ever since I started doing that, I've had no hat-related issues.
    Yeah, now that you mention it, I do have one hair comfort I employ - pomade. I used it before I was balding, but it definitely adds needed volume.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    As it has been cold in the UK I have been wearing a beanie hat a lot......

I think I look reasonably good in a beanie hat.......it definately helps as it covers up my bald head......

What I have noticed when wearing the hat is how much of a difference people see me when I take it off......I think it is a surprise to them, a disappointment, a shock......

Situation 1:
    I signed on at a local gym recently. I of course was wearing my beanie and a pretty girl guided me around and helped me to get signed up.....

Next thing she says 'we need to take a photo of you for our records' *my heart sinks*. I think eff it and take the beanie off. I think she got a shock, she was like 'you look a lot different with your hat off'. I did not say anything, I am not very good with anyone commenting on my hair, I can't jokingly brush it off, it just annoys me.....

She obviously was not expecting to see my bald head and maybe I am wrong but from her reaction I assume she thought I was decent looking and then when I took my hat off she was like ohh, maybe not. It's so frustrating and depressing, it just makes me think 'what if', what if I had hair.....I'd be getting girls....but I am bald and screwed!!!

Situation 2
    I went to a local superstore to buy an 18 rated computer game, again wearing my beanie. I was not expecting to be ID'd seeing as I am 28, although I understand the store has a policy of ID'ing anyone that looks under 25........I was asked for ID.....

I do find it odd and annoying that I get asked for ID when I am 28 but I took it as a compliment. Girls used to call me baby face at school and I guess I have kept my soft features....and maybe that helps me look young-ish.....

Anyway, I hand over my ID. Her instant reaction is 'Is this you' in an unsure but serious tone of voice. I don't take my hat off, I just look at her while she compares the photo to me, she goes 'ohh it is you' although she still seemed unsure.

Again the shock of seeing a photo of me with a bald head clearly shocked and confused. Maybe people don't expect someone of my age to be bald, or they are stunned that someone with a young attractive face has a bald head and looks terrible once the top of his head is shown. lol.

It just makes me realise even more that people clearly view me positively and attractive or young with my head covered but there view is completely changed when I reveal the truth. I already know the difference a hat or hair makes but it just cements it into my head and annoys me even more.
    Depends actually how bald you are to be honest. I have thick hair every except on top in the centre and now going at the crown, which is thin and obvious I am balding. I wore a hat for 6 months while waiting for the spotting from my FUE to eventually disappear (as it turned out a failed FUE). I now use hair fibres which make a big difference until i can afford to go and try Dr Farjo in the UK for a new transplant (could take years to save up unfortunately). So if you have hair I would recommend fibres - they make me look like I have a full head of hair like when I was in my 20s. At first I never used them because I was very sceptically but went for the plunge and now use them every day in my routine. I will also use Dutasteride soon if I can find something half decent in price since I seriously am skint each month with a lot of outgoings. But for now the fibres are my main saviour.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    They view you differently because they haven't assessed you holistically (hair status) with the hat on. Once you take the hat off, not only does it reveal that you are balding, but it may be interpreted that you are ashamed and trying to hide your hair loss (may or may not be the case.) They re-assess you at that time. This is the reason I slick my hair back, don't use concealer, and do nothing to hide my hair loss (only do things to prevent it). I own my hair, and I feel much more comfortable talking to a girl with my diffused receder looking them right back in the face with confidence, as opposed to styling it or wearing a hat to hide it. Let me be explicit that I'm not saying you are hiding anything; you said you are just wearing a hat because it's cold. I'm simply stating that other people will judge you.

I catch myself analyzing people that way. I see guys on campus or at work who are very diffused and try to style their hair to hide it. Sometimes you just have to catch the right angle and other times it's beyond obvious even from many meters away. When I see these people, I see them as pathetic and without self-worth. It's a disgusting way to view people, but I have no way to disconnect myself from that perception. I get the same feeling when I'm with a girl and find out she has a super padded bra -- it's insecurity, and that is a negative trait that transcends gender, age, race, etc.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/2...-and-dominant/ Interesting study that kind of highlights my point: Hair is choice, bald has it's own perks, but extreme diffusion just looks like shit.

Oh, one more thing on beanies: I hate them because they mat your hair down. It makes the lack of density egregiously obvious. I'd rather let me head be cold, or I wear hats that have room between them and the scalp, so that my slicked hair can maintain it's shape.
    But I guess everyone isn't as confident as you about their hair loss. It's good to say, 'don't give a shit - confront people with your wispy hair in their face but with confidence' but in reality most of us feel like shit and completely insecure with balding. No amount of gusto from anyone else will really help that. You can either live with it or you can't. When i had a full head of hair i could move moutains, i rocked, I was a party animal with a new girl each week. But now, with thinning hair it's a different story and if I don't use fibres for example to conceal it and i am going down an escalator where the people behind me can see my balding, my confidence pisses away.

When I had long hair I used to to wear a cap nearly everyday as it used to keep my hair slicked back, but now I have a buzz cut , I never wear it

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    When I had long hair I used to to wear a cap nearly everyday as it used to keep my hair slicked back, but now I have a buzz cut , I never wear it
    Do you have any visible thinning tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Do you have any visible thinning tho?
    I had slight thinning at tiny mid scalp area that shed with Fin and left a visible patch but came back stronger.