+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Started Finasteride 2 weeks ago - Already getting sides.

So I took the plunge and jumped on fin a couple of weeks ago, I started by tapering up:

Week 1: 1 dose of 0.5mg
    Week 2: 2 does of 0.5mg

I'm on my 3rd of week of being on it at the moment, the last dose I took was on Wednesday, and by Friday of this week I started to get testicle ache and found that my penis had lost a lot of sensitivity.

I'm just wondering if I should try and stick through these sides and hope that they subside, or should I get off the drug immediately?

If I lost sensitivity in my penis I would be very concerned to say the least, pay a visit to your doc.

Many of the members on here are 'pro-finasteride' users, please see some of the reports on www.propeciahelp.com.

Unsurprisingly enough, loss of penile sensation is probably the most common sign of post finasteride syndrome.

I'd stop. It's just not worth it if you're experiencing problems of this nature. Some people will say persevere and you may get through it, but if you don't you could be causing permanent damage.

I'm certain someone will chime in with the other side of the argument, so consider both and then decide.

If you do stop, make sure you wean off it gradually. I'd go back to 1 dose of 0.5mg for a week then nothing.

I suppose I'm one of those "'pro-finasteride' users". I had the nut ache at first as well. That subsided after the first week. No libido/sensation side effects, although I doubt I would have been able to focus on sexual activities while the nut ache was occurring.

But, if you have lost sensation in your penis, then I would definitely consider leaving finasteride alone. I made a promise to myself to quit fin if it ever affected my libido or caused me impotence, or if it caused any other negative side effect that jeopardized my ability to function professionally or socially. Your penis is more important than your hair -- anyone who argues otherwise has probably never used their penis.

Quick question though: You took just 1 dose, waited a full week to take the second and then took two doses that week? The reason I ask is it seems like that would make it difficult for your body to adjust, since the doses are infrequent and I'm almost certain the finasteride had been cleared from your body well before the next dose. That seems like a pretty chaotic environment hormonally. I could be wrong though.

The nut ache I have aforementioned was definitely alarming for me as well. Instead of stopping completely, I just took a nibble of a pill to keep my body introduced to the drug, while offering it at an extremely minute dose. I'm not implying that you should do this, but wanted to offer my story.

Ultimately, it's your life and your penis, so I won't assert myself into that decision making.

I hope that whatever decision you make results in, primarily re-sensitization of your penis and, secondarily, stopped or at least minimized hair loss.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Quick question though: You took just 1 dose, waited a full week to take the second and then took two doses that week?
    Yeah, first week I took a pill on Monday, then the next week Monday and Thursday.

I've seen a few people advocate tapering up this way, apparently it helps the body get used to the DHT reduction (doesn't seem to have worked in my case)

Gotcha. I really don't know what the right answer to that is (if a "right answer" even exists).

I, personally, was just so excited to start fin that I said I would start EOD for a month, but ended up going every day after the first couple days.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

After thinking about it, I am just gonna quit. I just really hope I haven't done any permanent damage from the 4 does of 0.5mg.

I read through the propeciahelp website that UK_ posted and I have to say I'm very worried at the moment. If anyone has anything reassuring to say, it would be well received.

Fair enough. I applaud you on having the strength to be willing to give up on what is basically the only viable preventative treatment for hair loss.

That was really unfair of him to post propeciahelp.com as a reference though. That site is an aggregate of individuals who are anti-finasteride, and many of them are involved in lawsuits against propecia (they have vested interest in having it viewed negatively). If you analyze tones of the posters and moderators there, they are all manic, babbling fools. And, many of the posters offer wild, laughable claims such as that fin caused them to lose their job, lose their relationships, and landed them in their parents basements -- these stories are the ones that made the site lose all credibility to me.

Unfortunately, no website exists to aggregate all the guys who had good results from finasteride, because they are too busy enjoying their hair and advancing in more important aspects of life -- there is no benefit to creating such a site unless it is for pure altruism. Basically what I'm saying is: you just read the holy grail of fear-mongering. That site scared the shit outta me at first too, but I decided to go to less biased sources of information such as this and other general hair loss forums.

Basically, someone sent you looking for the worst of the worst, and it was beyond easy to find. Regardless, I wish you the best. If you're feeling generous, I would be willing to pay for shipping if you don't want your finasteride anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Fair enough. I applaud you on having the strength to be willing to give up on what is basically the only viable preventative treatment for hair loss.

That was really unfair of him to post propeciahelp.com as a reference though. That site is an aggregate of individuals who are anti-finasteride, and many of them are involved in lawsuits against propecia (they have vested interest in having it viewed negatively). If you analyze tones of the posters and moderators there, they are all manic, babbling fools. And, many of the posters offer wild, laughable claims such as that fin caused them to lose their job, lose their relationships, and landed them in their parents basements -- these stories are the ones that made the site lose all credibility to me.

Unfortunately, no website exists to aggregate all the guys who had good results from finasteride, because they are too busy enjoying their hair and advancing in more important aspects of life -- there is no benefit to creating such a site unless it is for pure altruism. Basically what I'm saying is: you just read the holy grail of fear-mongering. That site scared the shit outta me at first too, but I decided to go to less biased sources of information such as this and other general hair loss forums.

Basically, someone sent you looking for the worst of the worst, and it was beyond easy to find. Regardless, I wish you the best. If you're feeling generous, I would be willing to pay for shipping if you don't want your finasteride anymore.
    And... would it be as plausible to post a link to a website that is an aggregate of pro-finasteride support? I feel the very fact that this individual is losing one of the most important functions of being a male human (sexual sensation) entitles him to view the opinions of thousands of others who have (coincidently or not) received the same symptom as him due to the result of ingesting this substance.

Seriously, shave your head, hit the gym and live your life. That’s the best advice I can give, don’t rely on doctors like Ken Washenik and research institutions to cure hair loss some day – I think when all is said and done, if every human is walking around with a thick NW1 the hottest women will probably still dig that one confident as hell muscular & loaded-to-shit guy with a shaved head.

I just think propeciahelp.com is full of unsubstantiated fear-mongering.

I absolutely agree that a bald guy can bag pretty women, be successful, and have a high quality of life. 100%. I've always said I thought hair loss was not the end of the world -- it's just a huge bummer, and it is a semi-manipulable aspect of our appearance that some guys will never take a shot at fixing because of outspoken fear-mongers.

Similar to guys that have had sides, I'm seeing things through a biased lens since I don't have apparent sides. I will admit it's getting tiresome to defend and explain my experience. It might be best that I let the anti-fin guys take over, and keep my good experience and hair to myself.