Threaded View

Some interesting posts from the internet:

"Your statement that "...minoxidil doesn't 'maintain', no matter HOW many times you apply it every day" is totally inconsistent with my own long term experience with its use. I had a dermatologist who was cutting edge and gave me a prescription for a minoxidil solution which I took to my local compounding pharmacist who ground up minoxidil tablets and mixed the powder into an alcohol base which I applied with a dropper to my scalp twice a day. That was in 1987 which was just prior to Upjohn Pharmaceutical's introduction of its liquid Rogaine in 1988. The compound actually grew some hair, so I expected big things from the Rogaine, as supposedly it was a better product - completely liquid with no powdery residue and supposedly with better absorption properties. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations regarding hair growth. One of my past co-workers, who has since gone the route of a hair replacement, had the same experience. However, as long as I used the liquid Rogaine twice a day, it prevented further hair loss. And it has done so for the last 20 years, although the 5% solution which came out in 1996 doesn't work any better than the original Rogaine - in my case, anyway. That may be due in part to the fact that in 1987 when I first started using the compounded solution I was already 42 years old. Upjohn readily states that the older the user the less chance there is of obtaining regrowth, and has only claimed regrowth possibilities for the crown area of the scalp in its advertising literature. It may also be due in part to the fact that I only keep the day-time application on for one hour of full soak for cosmetic purposes. See my other post on this thread. I am curious though why the compounded solution worked, and I now suspect that its concentration may have been higher than the current 5% available in the over the counter product. That's why I will probably try one of Dr. Lee's higher percentage products in the future."

I am 66 and began using rogaine when it was still a prescription 25 years ago. At that time, I had mild receding hairline and some thinning in the crown. 2% was all that was available then, then switched to 5%. Kirkland's has the best price on line, but I can get 3 months supply of Equate in Wal-Mart for $18.64. As far as results, the level of thinning has remained the same for 25 years. I also use DHS 2% pythrione zinc(double head and shoulders)shampoo 3 times a week, also shown to curtail baldness. My own opinion is that if you are already skin bald, save your money. I think all of the minoxidil based solutions work best if you are just beginning to bald. You have a good chance of maintaining what you have and the younger the better. Sometimes the genetic factor is so strong like the Hasselback brothers, it's just too strong to overcome."

Let's stop the mythmaking and face real-life results! The problem is that these people don't need to go to internet forums, so what we have here is a bunch of frustrated whining guys, who spread unsubstantied generalizations based on their personal experience!