+ Reply to Thread

Default Did anyone not shed on propecia??

Any guys shine their views on this?

Cheers

I think it's hard to sort out normal cyclical shedding from a fin induced shed. Only reason I'm bothering commenting is because I scoured the internet trying to find out when people started shedding, and the time frames were so varied.

I just went through a massive shed at 1 month. Due to fin? Due to natural hair cycling? Due to the fact I drank all day for St. Patties? Who knows.

I'll be interested in what some of the more seasoned members have to say.

Best regards.

I don't think I shed at all in the 15 months I've been on Fin. And if I did, it wasn't really noticeable.

The problem with forums is that only the people who have bad experiences post about it. It kinda gives a distorted view of things. I've no idea how many people actually shed and whether it matters or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    I don't think I shed at all in the 15 months I've been on Fin. And if I did, it wasn't really noticeable.

The problem with forums is that only the people who have bad experiences post about it. It kinda gives a distorted view of things. I've no idea how many people actually shed and whether it matters or not.
    True. Those same types of people almost kept me from starting fin too.

My doctor, as well as the dermatologist, both say there is no such thing as a Fin shed. I personally have no idea, because early on into starting Fin the top of my head thinned out, which was thick previously to starting, and it has yet to recover almost a year later. I don't know if it was a Fin shed, or I just happened to lose hair all of a sudden by some coincidence. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    True. Those same types of people almost kept me from starting fin too.
    Likewise.

I've wondered this myself and I am not sure. I've read countless times that a shed is possible and that it is a good thing to experience as it means the medication is working. I would rather not go through a shedding period as I've already lost a ton of hair before starting Fin and would rather not lose anymore.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

I didnt shed from fin. Maybe I did, maybe I didnt but I never really examined my head before. I glance at it from a distance that anybody would stand when talking to me and if I dont notice anything, they wont either. I dont find it particularly beneficial to look at every strand of hair.

film Didn't really notice a shed & have had good results so far

In response to your inquiry about shedding on propecia/finasteride...

I started 1.25 mg/daily Dec 1, 2012, as well as 5% extra strength minoxidil. I don't think I experienced any real shedding until now...

I was super thin on top, especially on the right side of my hair line. (

That image above was right before I started the regiment.

This is a recent photo - sorry it's darker:

So you'll see my hair line came back in that area (almost to a weird place where I have to pluck some extra strays to far into my face), and I didn't experience any shed. I didn't use minox on the left side cause it wasn't receding. Then I started on it to be pro-active, and it began to recede a bit. It looks like it's getting better now after a while.

Not sure if this is at all helpful. A lot of people fret about the sexual side effects. My good friend is a surgeon and prescribed finasteride to me. He takes it himself. When I asked about the % of the side effects, he assured me it's minimal, and almost every medication has the chance of not working w/ your body. This one just happens to involve your D. I totally understand why people may NOT want to mess w/ that. Any way, no side effects for me on that front.

Not sure which medication is working for me, but I did some online research and saw that a lot of guys who use both finasteride & miox after 1 year have great results. I chose to roll the dice. Would like to see the crown get thicker, but I have also not cut my hair so maybe there are shorter hairs filling in that I can't really see/feel just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 11.37.09 AM.jpg

Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	20210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 11.38.13 AM.jpg

Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	20211  

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    This is true for the side effects and I'm sure we also get a skewed perpective of how many people experience shedding. Both of these things are very real though.

Personally I didn't see any shedding when I started Finasteride. I figure that those who are more likely to notice it are the guys who started out with quite severe thinning which became more noticeable due to the shed. If your hair is quite thick then you can probably afford to lose some density without noticing.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

HolidayRandy-

Lookin' good, homeboy. Keep us posted on your crown. If that's where your main issues are, you've got good odds of shaping right up.

Best.