+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I Balding?

Default Am I Balding?

And if so, how badly?

Let me introduce myself. I'm 26. Until a few months ago, I was always proud of my hair. People commented all the time on how thick and luscious is was.

A few months ago, I caught an angle of myself from the side and it looked like I was balding. It seems like recently my hair has felt more and more flat. I used to be able to wake up and just style my hair without gel. Now I have to spend more time. I also notice that when I run my hand through my hair, it feels much thinner and I notice several hairs come out if I pull gently at my hair.

Not sure if this is normal or if I'm just being paranoid now. My hair is slightly longer than it used to be, so maybe that makes it 'feel' softer, or more thin? I've heard stories that you can thicken hair but once it's gone, it's gone for good. That's why I'm trying to get a jump on this before it's too late.

I've posted 3 sets of photos. Please let me know if I should be showing a different angle. What do you think?

-First one is my hair without pulling anything back. I am fine with how it looks now, WITHOUT any more receding.
    -Second one shows me pulling the hair back
    -Third one is my hair wet

Also - I signed up for a free consultation at a hair loss clinic in my city. I went there today and the 'hair loss expert' said I had about 6 months and I should sign up immediately for his organic hair treatment. Seemed like a major scam.

My main question is, who should I speak with to see if I am indeed balding? I feel like my GP would dismiss the issue. Any suggestions or input much appreciated.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	natural.jpg

Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	19991   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulled.jpg

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	19992   Click image for larger version

Name:	wet.jpg

Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	19993  

your hair reminds me of mine at your age. it looks fine but i can tell you that you do have mpb . be thankful that it is falling out slowly.

So what would you recommend doing at this stage to slow or stop the process?

it dosen't look so bad, i say don't do anything right now, but keep a look on it and if it's gotten any worse in 6 months get propecia

Quote Originally Posted by birchlore View Post
    So what would you recommend doing at this stage to slow or stop the process?
    Go get some 'nizoral' shampoo , and go seek advice from a dermatologist. You dont need rogaine yet, and a hair transplant is out of the question.

If i could go back in time I would try to keep what I had. I still have hair but its not as thick as yours. Its far easier to maintain than it is to have to do a hair transplant.

Just go see the dermatologist, then sit on it for a year or two. If there is a noticeable shedding in the next 2 years, talk to your doctor about finasteride.

Hope this helps

Default Not Too Bad

Quote Originally Posted by birchlore View Post
    And if so, how badly?

Let me introduce myself. I'm 26. Until a few months ago, I was always proud of my hair. People commented all the time on how thick and luscious is was.

A few months ago, I caught an angle of myself from the side and it looked like I was balding. It seems like recently my hair has felt more and more flat. I used to be able to wake up and just style my hair without gel. Now I have to spend more time. I also notice that when I run my hand through my hair, it feels much thinner and I notice several hairs come out if I pull gently at my hair.

Not sure if this is normal or if I'm just being paranoid now. My hair is slightly longer than it used to be, so maybe that makes it 'feel' softer, or more thin? I've heard stories that you can thicken hair but once it's gone, it's gone for good. That's why I'm trying to get a jump on this before it's too late.

I've posted 3 sets of photos. Please let me know if I should be showing a different angle. What do you think?

-First one is my hair without pulling anything back. I am fine with how it looks now, WITHOUT any more receding.
    -Second one shows me pulling the hair back
    -Third one is my hair wet

Also - I signed up for a free consultation at a hair loss clinic in my city. I went there today and the 'hair loss expert' said I had about 6 months and I should sign up immediately for his organic hair treatment. Seemed like a major scam.

My main question is, who should I speak with to see if I am indeed balding? I feel like my GP would dismiss the issue. Any suggestions or input much appreciated.

thanks
    I'd just keep an eye on it.

You hair is in one of those maddening "gray areas" where it may or may not be mpb. I'm in a similar place and talking to a dermatologist really only served to confuse me more.

I asked if I should propecia. She said no, but that I could use Rogaine three days a week and that it was 'really up to me.'

I didn't feel like I was getting good advice.

Everything I read about Rogaine suggests that it needs to be taken twice daily, even for maintenance.

Is there a test you can take or something? Like if they take a sample of your scalp/hair/blood, can they determine if it's MPB?

I saw an ad on Google for a 'hair loss clinic' in my area. I got a free analysis, and the 'expert' took a sample of one of my hairs from the vertex. He showed it to me under the microscope and it got thinner as it approached the base/bulb of the hair.

Does that mean anything? He told me it meant my hair thinning was rapidly accelerating.

use oil bro

To my eye, this is clearly MPB. There's the weakness in the temples, the ragged hairline, and it's difficult to tell, but it looks like there's miniaturization at the hairline. That's the giveaway--if there are small, finer hairs at the edge. This *could* be just a mature hairline, but I don't think so.

If it is MPB, I'd advise the Big 3--Propecia, minixidil, and Nizoral or Regenepure shampoo used no more than twice a week.

Ok- assume it's MPB. If you catch it early, can you pretty much stop it completely with the big 3?