X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birchlore
    • Nov 2012

Am I Balding?

And if so, how badly?

Let me introduce myself. I'm 26. Until a few months ago, I was always proud of my hair. People commented all the time on how thick and luscious is was.

A few months ago, I caught an angle of myself from the side and it looked like I was balding. It seems like recently my hair has felt more and more flat. I used to be able to wake up and just style my hair without gel. Now I have to spend more time. I also notice that when I run my hand through my hair, it feels much thinner and I notice several hairs come out if I pull gently at my hair.

Not sure if this is normal or if I'm just being paranoid now. My hair is slightly longer than it used to be, so maybe that makes it 'feel' softer, or more thin? I've heard stories that you can thicken hair but once it's gone, it's gone for good. That's why I'm trying to get a jump on this before it's too late.

I've posted 3 sets of photos. Please let me know if I should be showing a different angle. What do you think?

-First one is my hair without pulling anything back. I am fine with how it looks now, WITHOUT any more receding.
    -Second one shows me pulling the hair back
    -Third one is my hair wet

Also - I signed up for a free consultation at a hair loss clinic in my city. I went there today and the 'hair loss expert' said I had about 6 months and I should sign up immediately for his organic hair treatment. Seemed like a major scam.

My main question is, who should I speak with to see if I am indeed balding? I feel like my GP would dismiss the issue. Any suggestions or input much appreciated.

thanks
    Attached Files
  • drybone
    • Dec 2012

your hair reminds me of mine at your age. it looks fine but i can tell you that you do have mpb . be thankful that it is falling out slowly.

Comment

• birchlore
      • Nov 2012

So what would you recommend doing at this stage to slow or stop the process?

Comment

• iH8d0ugh
        • Dec 2012

it dosen't look so bad, i say don't do anything right now, but keep a look on it and if it's gotten any worse in 6 months get propecia

Comment

• drybone
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by birchlore
          So what would you recommend doing at this stage to slow or stop the process?
          Go get some 'nizoral' shampoo , and go seek advice from a dermatologist. You dont need rogaine yet, and a hair transplant is out of the question.

If i could go back in time I would try to keep what I had. I still have hair but its not as thick as yours. Its far easier to maintain than it is to have to do a hair transplant.

Just go see the dermatologist, then sit on it for a year or two. If there is a noticeable shedding in the next 2 years, talk to your doctor about finasteride.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Luzianaman
            • Aug 2011

Not Too Bad

And if so, how badly?

Let me introduce myself. I'm 26. Until a few months ago, I was always proud of my hair. People commented all the time on how thick and luscious is was.

A few months ago, I caught an angle of myself from the side and it looked like I was balding. It seems like recently my hair has felt more and more flat. I used to be able to wake up and just style my hair without gel. Now I have to spend more time. I also notice that when I run my hand through my hair, it feels much thinner and I notice several hairs come out if I pull gently at my hair.

Not sure if this is normal or if I'm just being paranoid now. My hair is slightly longer than it used to be, so maybe that makes it 'feel' softer, or more thin? I've heard stories that you can thicken hair but once it's gone, it's gone for good. That's why I'm trying to get a jump on this before it's too late.

I've posted 3 sets of photos. Please let me know if I should be showing a different angle. What do you think?

-First one is my hair without pulling anything back. I am fine with how it looks now, WITHOUT any more receding.
            -Second one shows me pulling the hair back
            -Third one is my hair wet

Also - I signed up for a free consultation at a hair loss clinic in my city. I went there today and the 'hair loss expert' said I had about 6 months and I should sign up immediately for his organic hair treatment. Seemed like a major scam.

My main question is, who should I speak with to see if I am indeed balding? I feel like my GP would dismiss the issue. Any suggestions or input much appreciated.

thanks
            I'd just keep an eye on it.

You hair is in one of those maddening "gray areas" where it may or may not be mpb. I'm in a similar place and talking to a dermatologist really only served to confuse me more.

I asked if I should propecia. She said no, but that I could use Rogaine three days a week and that it was 'really up to me.'

I didn't feel like I was getting good advice.

Everything I read about Rogaine suggests that it needs to be taken twice daily, even for maintenance.

Comment

• birchlore
              • Nov 2012

Is there a test you can take or something? Like if they take a sample of your scalp/hair/blood, can they determine if it's MPB?

I saw an ad on Google for a 'hair loss clinic' in my area. I got a free analysis, and the 'expert' took a sample of one of my hairs from the vertex. He showed it to me under the microscope and it got thinner as it approached the base/bulb of the hair.

Does that mean anything? He told me it meant my hair thinning was rapidly accelerating.

Comment

• Shan
                • Feb 2013

use oil bro

Comment

• win200
                  • Jul 2012

To my eye, this is clearly MPB. There's the weakness in the temples, the ragged hairline, and it's difficult to tell, but it looks like there's miniaturization at the hairline. That's the giveaway--if there are small, finer hairs at the edge. This *could* be just a mature hairline, but I don't think so.

If it is MPB, I'd advise the Big 3--Propecia, minixidil, and Nizoral or Regenepure shampoo used no more than twice a week.

Comment

• birchlore
                    • Nov 2012

Ok- assume it's MPB. If you catch it early, can you pretty much stop it completely with the big 3?

Comment

• drybone
                      • Dec 2012

Ok- assume it's MPB. If you catch it early, can you pretty much stop it completely with the big 3?
                      There are side effects to medication. Please consult with your doctor about the potential risks.

Nobody knows if it will completely halt the MPB but from what I have seen it definitely arrests it to a noticeable degree. Some guys even regrow hair.

Comment

• dex89
                        • Jul 2012

Go with Propecia and nizoral. Propecia has side effects but not severe for most people. I have had low libido, watery semen, and ball ache but it all went away and back to normal now.

Comment

• BigThinker
                          • Oct 2012

You're in the early stages of MPB. There's plenty there to retain. Although none of us have any idea at what speed it will progress, it's wise to assume the worst and get after it.

I'd say get on finasteride, and consider keto and minox afterwards. Start with the big gun -- the big gun is the easiest to "apply" as well, which is a perk.

My experience is similar to dex's, except I never had a noticeable loss in libido (even temporary).

You'll thank yourself for being proactive about it.

Comment

Working...