+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do the "Big 3" actually maintain hair?

Sorry for yet another thread, but I have to get this off my chest as I'm considering buying propecia, rograine and Nizoral next week. I'm at about NW 2.5, with receding temples and a little bald patch on top. Will the big 3 actually maintain the amount of hair I have, or would I be wasting my money? Somebody here mentioned that they don't, and that the maintenance of hair and a hairline is simply down to genetics.

I didnt say that, i said they dont do a whole lot for the hairline and genetics play a bigger role in that area of the scalp.

youll never know unless you try -

you wont go from a NW2.5 to a NW1, but could maintain your existing hairline or slow down the recession a lot with the big 3.

its almost a certainty youd be worse off, in terms of hair, 5 years from now without the big 3, unless a cure comes out

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    youll never know unless you try -

you wont go from a NW2.5 to a NW1, but could maintain your existing hairline or slow down the recession a lot with the big 3.

its almost a certainty youd be worse off, in terms of hair, 5 years from now without the big 3, unless a cure comes out
    Ok. How long would it take for the hair to thicken using the big 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Ok. How long would it take for the hair to thicken using the big 3?
    From what i've read, as soon as 6 months, usually about 12 months, sometimes never.

No one will be able to tell if it will work for you or not, and to what degree if it does. The longer you wait, certainly the worse off your hair will be, should you decide to start the Big 3.

Starting fin immediately stopped "the itch" for me. One month in and I'm shedding like a mofo (almost exclusively miniaturized hairs). From what I've read, that's indicative that the drug is working, but I have limited confidence in anything I hear on these forums.

Ok, two more questions (a) how long does hair shedding last for when you start to use propecia, and (b) does use of the "Big 3" for up to a year make one a better candidate for a hair transplant?

Thanks for the help everybody, much appreciated.

(a) it varies. I'll let you know when mine stops.
    (b) from what I've heard, yes. Because, if you get a hair transplant and your hairloss is not stabilized, you may lose the hair behind the transplant which would look goofy. You then would need to get more hair transplanted into the newly balded spot, unless you find having only hair in the front, back, and sides agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    (a) it varies. I'll let you know when mine stops.
    (b) from what I've heard, yes. Because, if you get a hair transplant and your hairloss is not stabilized, you may lose the hair behind the transplant which would look goofy. You then would need to get more hair transplanted into the newly balded spot, unless you find having only hair in the front, back, and sides agreeable.
    Thanks for the advice.

I know this is a pipe dream and probable wishful thinking, but can the big 3 used together actually regrow lost hair in the temple regions, possibly even grow the hairline back to a NW1? Again, I'm sure that this maybe a stupid question, and that only a hair transplant in reality can actually restore what was lost - in the temples in particular.

The big 3 can restore hair but the chance of going from NW2.5 back to NW1 (ie no recession) is basically zero. Bare temples cannot really be brought back with meds, at least not yet