+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default At the point of getting a HT...

...and I had the options of one really reputable surgeon on this site. Or check out Dr. Gho and what he is doing. After reading this I really want to lean towards Gho for the fact that I have loss at my hairline. If things work the way they do then I feel like I'd be pretty set, that is... donor regeneration and my only loss is at the hairline for now. It feels stable... I feel sort of like the perfect candidate as in if I lose more in the future and donor regeneration is true, I can just keep going back as I need. I'd say I'm about a NW2.5-3 but my donor is fine obviously and crown is fine. I already had a consultation and was going to step forward with a procedure of around 1000-1100 grafts for the hairline fix. I'm so hung up on this HST now though. So I'm about to send in an intake form for this technique and hopefully sign up on the list to have this done sometime in the next few months (I was hoping summerish).

With that said, do you guys think this is the right move? I know this is a volatile question to ask and cannot really be answered with ease. I know you want this 50 graft thing done as well. I'm iffy and not sure what to do.

I'm 27 btw. I have the money. I just don't want to be dumb about using my money. But I definitely will get a HT either way and I definitely want to do it this year. Thing is the first option with the reputable surgeon is literally like... 30 mins from me. It's right down the road. And a lot more convenient. I'd have to travel to London for this procedure.. but if it is what it's supposed to be, it seems worth it.

Maybe I should take the plunge? I'm just scared. I'd try to document the whole damn thing if I did.

Oh and yeah I lurk this forum. All the damn time. For hours at a time. So I'm up to date on all the stuff and research.

Just looking for opinions.

What meds are you on? Do you tolerate Fin? If I had your loss and could tolerate Fin or another DHT inhibitor I'd just go with the best hairline surgeon I could find, knowing I had more donor left over if the loss continued and could then go to Gho if that became an issue.

I'm 28 and a 2.5 on the scale, but unlike you I have slight to moderate thinning on the crown as well as the rest of the mid scalp. Plus I can't take Fin, gave me manboobs. That being said, my plan is to stabilize my loss with RU or Keratene, go to a top of the line HT and get a strong hairline, then not worry about it unless things get worse (which at that point could only be the crown or mid scalp area, the hairline already having been transplanted), in which case I'll use the remaining donor area for repeated sessions with Gho as needed. Expensive as hell, but worth it to me until Aderans and Histogen come to fruition.

Basically I would focus on getting the best looking hairline for my face and going to a reputable surgeon for that frontal area, which is the most important aspect of your hair by far. For that I'll sacrifice a couple thousand hairs from the donor are, knowing that Gho can take care of the less important areas with donor regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    What meds are you on? Do you tolerate Fin? If I had your loss and could tolerate Fin or another DHT inhibitor I'd just go with the best hairline surgeon I could find, knowing I had more donor left over if the loss continued and could then go to Gho if that became an issue.

I'm 28 and a 2.5 on the scale, but unlike you I have slight to moderate thinning on the crown as well as the rest of the mid scalp. Plus I can't take Fin, gave me manboobs. That being said, my plan is to stabilize my loss with RU or Keratene, go to a top of the line HT and get a strong hairline, then not worry about it unless things get worse (which at that point could only be the crown or mid scalp area, the hairline already having been transplanted), in which case I'll use the remaining donor area for repeated sessions with Gho as needed. Expensive as hell, but worth it to me until Aderans and Histogen come to fruition.

Basically I would focus on getting the best looking hairline for my face and going to a reputable surgeon for that frontal area, which is the most important aspect of your hair by far. For that I'll sacrifice a couple thousand hairs from the donor are, knowing that Gho can take care of the less important areas with donor regeneration.
    I took fin for a month and I felt like I started feeling sides. Even if it was in my head it's not worth it. I don't care. People can say what they want but I'd rather be bald than impotent and I'd rather not even take the risk. I'm not big into pharmaceuticals.. so I'm not ever going to take Fin. Not worth it to me.

Yeah I was leaning towards this very idea. And it seemed to be the idea Spencer had on his show until further proof of HST came out. I'm hoping Aderans and Histogen check out as I want to rely on them sort of for maintaining what I have. Though if I'm lucky I'll be like my uncles and Dad and only have the hairline to worry about. I feel like I've stabilized for now and I hope it lasts until these other guys produce something good. I was using Rogaine Foam for my hairline for a while but it just stopped working after some years.. (and yes it does work on the hairline)

It's my opinion and others may not agree but I also agree with you that the hairline is the most important part.. for my face and structure. I mean, sure I don't want to lose anymore at all but if I had to put I would rather have a hairline than anything else... and even if it comes down the shaving my opinion when you get that little bit of stubble that grows in I'd rather have it at the hairline and have some missing in the crown and between than on the crown solely for the fact that that's the part most people see and once again it sort of helps.. make my facial structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    That's pretty much my strategy! This could buy 5-10 years, by which time maybe whatever Gho has is more widely available or other treatments are coming out.

If I go to even Norwood 3, I was told by my doctor that it would only take 600 grafts to fill in the area lost, after having a 2600 graft hair transplant to build a new hairline.

Did you notice any signs of aging in the face while on Rogaine? I swear that stuff gave me raccoon eyes and wrinkles, bloated my face. Could have been something else but it freaked me out. I have faith that Histogen et al will save us, can't risk my face for two years of maintenance.

Actually it seems to dry your skin out it seems like. Maybe it's just me but yeah I sort of get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    That's pretty much my strategy! This could buy 5-10 years, by which time maybe whatever Gho has is more widely available or other treatments are coming out.

If I go to even Norwood 3, I was told by my doctor that it would only take 600 grafts to fill in the area lost, after having a 2600 graft hair transplant to build a new hairline.
    Hey Chrisis, just wanted to say thanks for documenting your journey, inspires me to have hope because if worse comes to worse I can get the HT and be okay. Really hope you have good gains my friend.

I agree that the best strategy is to do just what you've done, and it's exactly what I'm going to do in 2014-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatalis View Post
    It's my opinion and others may not agree but I also agree with you that the hairline is the most important part.. for my face and structure. I mean, sure I don't want to lose anymore at all but if I had to put I would rather have a hairline than anything else... and even if it comes down the shaving my opinion when you get that little bit of stubble that grows in I'd rather have it at the hairline and have some missing in the crown and between than on the crown solely for the fact that that's the part most people see and once again it sort of helps.. make my facial structure.
    Exactly. I don't really get the argument that you shouldn't have a HT in your 20's for fear that you might lose more hair and "look weird." Just shave your head and get the stubble framing the strong hairline. Diffuse thinners do just that. Not sure where that argument came from, must be visualizing long hair in the front and no hair behind it...