+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine for Hairline

Hello, has anyone had any luck with Rogaine for their hairline?

I am about a norwood 2.5, receding at my temples.

I saw this site that suggested that Rogaine can work on the hairline - http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

I have been on Propecia for about 8 years and have been happy with the result for my crown/top of head, but my hairline keeps slowly receding.

Thank you

It definitely helped mine. My density increased. I think if hairs are dormant too long it can't "switch" them back on, thus after a year I had a hair transplant. Be prepared for shed if you do go on it.

Side note: since minoxidil is low risk compared to drugs like finasteride, why do so many guys go for the latter first? Are they being well advised?

Thanks Chrisis.

Did you happen to have any pics of the improvement for your hairline?

Thanks so much for your response

Yeah I'll dig a few out. I wasn't documenting it but I'll grab some from Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    It definitely helped mine. My density increased. I think if hairs are dormant too long it can't "switch" them back on, thus after a year I had a hair transplant. Be prepared for shed if you do go on it.

Side note: since minoxidil is low risk compared to drugs like finasteride, why do so many guys go for the latter first? Are they being well advised?
    I received, what looks like to me, very minor hairline regrowth... coulda been fin though. Started both at the same time. Sorry for the chitty pictures. My density is a bit low at the moment though, going through a fin shed (diffuse).

The answer to the side note is pretty obvious. Minox doesn't prevent balding. Finasteride does. Minox requires twice daily topical application. Fin is a pill... easy mode. It is higher risk, but so are many prescription medications. The risk/reward trade off is pretty damn favorable.

Even after doing all my own research, looking at propeciahelp, checking out the side effect profiles on multiple studies, I made the decision to take fin, did you not do the same?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 4.jpg

Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	19939  

Quote Originally Posted by nick9278 View Post

The answer to the side note is pretty obvious. Minox doesn't prevent balding. Finasteride does. Minox requires twice daily topical application. Fin is a pill... easy mode. It is higher risk, but so are many prescription medications. The risk/reward trade off is pretty damn favorable.

Even after doing all my own research, looking at propeciahelp, checking out the side effect profiles on multiple studies, I made the decision to take fin, did you not do the same?
    I took finasteride November 2011, came off it due to sides in February 2012 and like many men out there and who continue to show up on this forum and elsewhere, I still haven't shaken them off. Favourable risk/reward trade off? That clearly depends.

Taking drugs on the basis of a vanity issue, and toying with something as sensitive and poorly understand as the male endocrine system is a risk. We don't know 1) why a subset of men are affected or 2) how to cure it. It seems sensible therefore, for men - especially those with minor hairloss/ early onset of MPB to try minoxidil/Rogaine first, before resorting to hormonal warfare inside their own bodies.

I did all the same research as you, looking at forums like this and listening to "experts", but I regret not being more careful and wish more caution was advised by those trusted by so many. Hair loss is a big industry though, and whether someone is referring "patients" from their own website, prescribing the drug as a doctor, or manufacturing it, there's a lot of money to be made...

Quote Originally Posted by 97133620 View Post
    Thanks Chrisis.

Did you happen to have any pics of the improvement for your hairline?

Thanks so much for your response

Before minoxidil

June 2010:

March 2011:

Started minoxidil early 2012

November 2012:

February 2013:

Hey Chris, How much minox were you using? Twice a day? Did you ever get the whole under eye circles, puffy face etc?

Thanks for the pictures!

I guess I'll give it a go.