+ Reply to Thread

Default What dose of fin should I take considering my DHT levels?

Hi there, im 22 years old and I will be starting fin soon hopefully. But I am unsure of what dose to take.
    My DHT levels were 1.08 nmol/l with the reference range being 0.323 - 1.637
    I read that 1mg of fin can offer a 70% reduction in DHT, if thats the case that would reduce my DHT to 0.324.
    Isnt that too low?
    Can anyone offer some advice?
    Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by everest13 View Post
    Hi there, im 22 years old and I will be starting fin soon hopefully. But I am unsure of what dose to take.
    I read that 1mg of fin can offer a 70% reduction in DHT, if thats the case that would reduce my DHT to 0.324.
    Isnt that too low?
    Thanks for your time.
    I commend you for getting this looked into before you take finasteride. If only this advice was standard by those promote the drug.

The goal of finasteride is to reduce DHT; how low is too low? I don't know. Is it possible to even go too low before sides kick in? Or are they caused by something else? Again, I don't know and I'm not sure if anyone does.

If it was as simple as "low DHT causes sides", then that would imply that those with long term problems would just need to boost DHT to resolve their problems. It doesn't appear to be that simple.

Whatever the answer is, you're right to be wary at this age. Can I ask Norwood you are? If you have minor hair loss, maybe you can consider starting with minoxidil/Rogaine.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I commend you for getting this looked into before you take finasteride. If only this advice was standard by those promote the drug.

The goal of finasteride is to reduce DHT; how low is too low? I don't know. Is it possible to even go too low before sides kick in? Or are they caused by something else? Again, I don't know and I'm not sure if anyone does.

If it was as simple as "low DHT causes sides", then that would imply that those with long term problems would just need to boost DHT to resolve their problems. It doesn't appear to be that simple.

Whatever the answer is, you're right to be wary at this age. Can I ask Norwood you are? If you have minor hair loss, maybe you can consider starting with minoxidil/Rogaine.
    Im a norwood 3, but i also have a bald spot on the crown with thinning. If i buzz my hair short, it looks like i have thinning all over on the top of my head. I've been using rogaine foam for 7 months now once a day. Although I think it might have made my hair slightly thicker, it hasnt been able to stop the hair loss. Although my temples are norwood 3, i still have a bunch of small minitiarised hairs on my temples of a norwood 2 hairline.

Isnt that too low?
    Thanks for your time.
    For your super high DHT level yes, you should give the 5mg a try because 1mg won't work on you. First start with 1mg for a week and then 5mg every day after the initial week.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    For your super high DHT level yes, you should give the 5mg a try because 1mg won't work on you. First start with 1mg for a week and then 5mg every day after the initial week.
    My dht isnt high, its within the Normal range. The highest dose I would take is 1mg, I was jus wondering if I should start on something even lower.

My dht isnt high, its within the Normal range. The highest dose I would take is 1mg, I was jus wondering if I should start on something even lower.
    Yeah don't follow that advice. 5mg?? Why would anyone do that, when 5mg only inhibits 0.5% more DUT than 1mg.

I think I'd go with 0.5mg or less if I was you everest13.

Inactive

As chrisis' chart shows, dose doesn't really matter a whole lot. I would just take 1mg or 1.25mg if you buy 5mg and cut it into fourths.

Isnt that too low?
    Thanks for your time.
    Take it as directed by your doctor which will most likely be 1mg a day. If you start getting sides try 0.5mg a day.

Isit possible to cut 5 mg finasteride into 10ths to get 0.5 mg?

Isit possible to cut 5 mg finasteride into 10ths to get 0.5 mg?
    Not practical. You could do some home chemistry, grind it up and add it to high proof alcohol making sure you have the ratios right.

Or just find a 1mg source of finasteride and halve it.