What dose of fin should I take considering my DHT levels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • everest13
    • Feb 2013

What dose of fin should I take considering my DHT levels?

Hi there, im 22 years old and I will be starting fin soon hopefully. But I am unsure of what dose to take.
    My DHT levels were 1.08 nmol/l with the reference range being 0.323 - 1.637
    I read that 1mg of fin can offer a 70% reduction in DHT, if thats the case that would reduce my DHT to 0.324.
    Isnt that too low?
    Can anyone offer some advice?
    Thanks for your time.
  • chrisis
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by everest13
    Hi there, im 22 years old and I will be starting fin soon hopefully. But I am unsure of what dose to take.
    I read that 1mg of fin can offer a 70% reduction in DHT, if thats the case that would reduce my DHT to 0.324.
    Isnt that too low?
    Thanks for your time.
    I commend you for getting this looked into before you take finasteride. If only this advice was standard by those promote the drug.

The goal of finasteride is to reduce DHT; how low is too low? I don't know. Is it possible to even go too low before sides kick in? Or are they caused by something else? Again, I don't know and I'm not sure if anyone does.

If it was as simple as "low DHT causes sides", then that would imply that those with long term problems would just need to boost DHT to resolve their problems. It doesn't appear to be that simple.

Whatever the answer is, you're right to be wary at this age. Can I ask Norwood you are? If you have minor hair loss, maybe you can consider starting with minoxidil/Rogaine.

Comment

• everest13
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by chrisis
      I commend you for getting this looked into before you take finasteride. If only this advice was standard by those promote the drug.

The goal of finasteride is to reduce DHT; how low is too low? I don't know. Is it possible to even go too low before sides kick in? Or are they caused by something else? Again, I don't know and I'm not sure if anyone does.

If it was as simple as "low DHT causes sides", then that would imply that those with long term problems would just need to boost DHT to resolve their problems. It doesn't appear to be that simple.

Whatever the answer is, you're right to be wary at this age. Can I ask Norwood you are? If you have minor hair loss, maybe you can consider starting with minoxidil/Rogaine.
      Im a norwood 3, but i also have a bald spot on the crown with thinning. If i buzz my hair short, it looks like i have thinning all over on the top of my head. I've been using rogaine foam for 7 months now once a day. Although I think it might have made my hair slightly thicker, it hasnt been able to stop the hair loss. Although my temples are norwood 3, i still have a bunch of small minitiarised hairs on my temples of a norwood 2 hairline.

Comment

• Erick
        • Nov 2011

Isnt that too low?
        Thanks for your time.
        For your super high DHT level yes, you should give the 5mg a try because 1mg won't work on you. First start with 1mg for a week and then 5mg every day after the initial week.

Comment

• everest13
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Erick
          For your super high DHT level yes, you should give the 5mg a try because 1mg won't work on you. First start with 1mg for a week and then 5mg every day after the initial week.
          My dht isnt high, its within the Normal range. The highest dose I would take is 1mg, I was jus wondering if I should start on something even lower.

Comment

• chrisis
            • Feb 2012

My dht isnt high, its within the Normal range. The highest dose I would take is 1mg, I was jus wondering if I should start on something even lower.
            Yeah don't follow that advice. 5mg?? Why would anyone do that, when 5mg only inhibits 0.5% more DUT than 1mg.

I think I'd go with 0.5mg or less if I was you everest13.

Comment

• Aames
              Inactive
              • Nov 2012

As chrisis' chart shows, dose doesn't really matter a whole lot. I would just take 1mg or 1.25mg if you buy 5mg and cut it into fourths.

Comment

• Kayman
                • Dec 2012

Isnt that too low?
                Thanks for your time.
                Take it as directed by your doctor which will most likely be 1mg a day. If you start getting sides try 0.5mg a day.

Comment

• everest13
                  • Feb 2013

Isit possible to cut 5 mg finasteride into 10ths to get 0.5 mg?

Comment

• chrisis
                    • Feb 2012

Isit possible to cut 5 mg finasteride into 10ths to get 0.5 mg?
                    Not practical. You could do some home chemistry, grind it up and add it to high proof alcohol making sure you have the ratios right.

Or just find a 1mg source of finasteride and halve it.

Comment

Working...