+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Temporarily going off finasteride

Question: If you wanted to go off finasteride temporarily say to have a baby or whatever other reason, how long would you need to be off of it to get it completely out of your system? How much longer for side effects to disappear?

Thanks.

I stopped for four weeks you will notice a real difference after two weeks. Some say it takes months for full recovery but I definitly felt a difference after two weeks. However the prospect of going bald still scares the shit out of me so I got back on Propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
    I stopped for four weeks you will notice a real difference after two weeks. Some say it takes months for full recovery but I definitly felt a difference after two weeks. However the prospect of going bald still scares the shit out of me so I got back on Propecia.
    Notice a difference in what sense? Hair thinning again or libido or something else?

This is not based on personal experience, but it's possible that by stopping Finasteride, you'll lose any hair you retained while using it.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

this number is just from memory, but I think you have to wait 6-8 weeks before giving blood. The reason is they dont want the blood going to a pregnant woman and causing damage to the fetus.

You'd be off of it for a long time though - considering youd wait 6-8 weeks before even trying to conceive, and then it could take a lot longer to impregnate whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    this number is just from memory, but I think you have to wait 6-8 weeks before giving blood. The reason is they dont want the blood going to a pregnant woman and causing damage to the fetus.

You'd be off of it for a long time though - considering youd wait 6-8 weeks before even trying to conceive, and then it could take a lot longer to impregnate whoever.
    Yep this is pretty much correct. There have been no actual reports of issues in humans but in some animal studies at very high doses there have been.

But why take the risk. I know I wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by bruce42 View Post
    Notice a difference in what sense? Hair thinning again or libido or something else?
    Libido

Hair didnt shed at all after four weeks off it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce42 View Post
    Question: If you wanted to go off finasteride temporarily say to have a baby or whatever other reason, how long would you need to be off of it to get it completely out of your system? How much longer for side effects to disappear?

Thanks.
    To have a baby? You mean to have a bald baby that will subsequently thank you for your great bald genes? I can't understand that some people can be so selfish and impudent. They theirselves mind their genetic make up, but they have no problem to spread it further?

Quote Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
    You felt a huge difference I'm assuming in a positive way upon quitting, meaning your body is telling you what you are doing to it is not good. Don't understand why people choose to ignore what their body is telling them all in vain.

Dude I want to keep my hair as much as the next guy..but not at the expense of my health and overall well-being. You guys ever think about the fact that a woman can't come in contact with the damn pill itself, possible birth side-effects, difficulty conceiving, etc?

Yet you guys still pop the pill everyday. I found other ways to keep my hair. Wish you all the best in health long-term while taking that drug. Really do..

I know, I'm experiencing the side effects of taking Propecia and they are really pissing me off. However I cannot stand losing any more hair so I'm choosing "bad" (living with the side effects and keeping my hair) over "absolutely awful" (living life as a bald man). But I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with these side effects though so I'm not sure that I'm committed to being on this drug for the rest of my life (another reason why I'll never get a hair transplant). And also, I cannot stand when people say that they have side effects taking finasteride and then others automatically dismiss them as being "psychosomatic".