+ Reply to Thread

Default intro/advice/recommendations

Hello all!

Brief intro: I'm a 21 year-old male and I've had receded temples (mature hairline?) since my teenage years. About six months ago, I started to notice what seemed like excessive shedding. I expressed concern to my friends/family, they all told me I was crazy and my hair looked fine. Fast forward a few months -- the shedding continued, lost considerable density (even though my friends are still telling my it's all in my head). I resolved to go to a dermatologist about the issue; she told me, "I don't know. You might be balding, so you should probably learn do deal with it." Oh, and she said I had dandruff and wrote me a prescription for zinc shampoo (thanks a ton!).

Today, the excessive hair loss has continued and I think it's pretty safe to say I've got the start of male pattern baldness. Not sure how I feel about the treatment options/drugs, but I would like to go to a doctor who can make a confident diagnosis, perform a more thorough examination, and have a legitimate dialogue on the topic. I've still got a pretty full head of hair and I'd really like to keep it that way for another decade or so.

Which leads me to my question: any recommendations for such a doctor in the New York City area? Also, what's the cost for a consultation/appointment?

Thank you!

No recommendations for a NY doc... just some basic stuff here:

Hey man, you're doing the right thing by coming on here, doing some research, and figuring it all out. Assuming you're balding, you have a good chance to hold on to what you have for quite a while (vague, I know).

When I first started shedding (21 like you, 23 now), I went through a bit of denial. Thing is, if you think you're losing it.... you probably are to put it bluntly (if your loss is from the top of your head). Check out your family history. My dad is bald, so I knew I was screwed. Everyone told me it was in my head too. You gotta be honest with yourself, family/friends aren't the best at diagnosing hair loss.

What I did:
    Got an appointment with a IAHRS hair transplant surgeon (free consultation), he took some magnified pics of my head, was super cool, said I caught it early, explained everything to me, gave me a packet of info on treatment, and a script for 5mg finasteride to cut into 1.25mg pieces to take daily. You can go to a regular doc. I've seen some stories of family physicians/general practitioners being uneducated on hair loss treatment though, like your dermatologist it seems, so be aware. Sorry, don't know the costs of these types of appointments.

Look up the Big 3 for hair loss and research if you would be interested in using any of those methods to treat hair loss after your appointment... if you're suffering from hair loss. You might not be!