+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Didn't mean to be rude, honestly. It's just that i've been signing up to hair loss forums since I was 18 [24 now] well only 2 forums. I came in with the mind set of getting an HT some day, then was steered clear of it because of all the negative stories. Then with my own research i'm basically back where I started, wanting an HT, this time i'm better informed and know what doctors to look for.

In the end, my "rude" posts is just me saying "Look, don't end up like me bro.". Because really, I wouldn't wish what i've been through on anyone. Started at 16, and it's been hell for me ever since, and I just don't want to see young guys going through that if they have better options than me. Just get your HT from a recommended doctor and get out of here. This place is cool and all, but it's depressing reading the same thing every day for what feels like 50 years.
    This is true. I'm 26 now, but I remember posting on another forum curious as to whether I was going bald or getting a mature hairline & that was at 18. If you purely wait for something new to come out you eventually put off what ever it is thats happening in the present. I.e: Once 'treatment X' comes out in four years I can do X,Y,Z. It isn't fun; The above advice is solid.

I did that, it's depressing. News after news saying "5-10 years away before it hits the US market". It's been 5-10 years away since I lurked the site in 2010, it's now 2013 and I see the same threads, same news over and over again being bumped.

You're 21, if money is not a huge issue, find a real good IAHRS doctor and get your FUT or FUE and at least use Rogaine, but I advise to use both Rogaine and finasteride. Then don't look back. You'll be here waiting and waiting, while follicle after follicle shrink more and more until you're bald and ugly. Go ahead and take their advice about sticking around and reading news, you'll soon see what i'm talking about.
    I understand, I can respect that.

Didn't mean to be rude, honestly. It's just that i've been signing up to hair loss forums since I was 18 [24 now] well only 2 forums. I came in with the mind set of getting an HT some day, then was steered clear of it because of all the negative stories. Then with my own research i'm basically back where I started, wanting an HT, this time i'm better informed and know what doctors to look for.

In the end, my "rude" posts is just me saying "Look, don't end up like me bro.". Because really, I wouldn't wish what i've been through on anyone. Started at 16, and it's been hell for me ever since, and I just don't want to see young guys going through that if they have better options than me. Just get your HT from a recommended doctor and get out of here. This place is cool and all, but it's depressing reading the same thing every day for what feels like 50 years.
    Thanks for your honesty..

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Regarding your question about waiting until you are 29... In speaking with Dr. Cole, one of his concerns relates to just how far the hair loss is going to progress. For instance, I once worked with a guy who had only a 1 inch wide fringe of hair on the back and sides of his head by the time he was in his late 30's. If hair had been taken from what is considered the standard "safe" zone on this man back when he was 21, the transplant at such an early age would have been a waste of money.

What is your family history of hair loss. How much hair loss did your mother's father have? How about your father?

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    35YrsAfter thanks again for getting back to me. My father & grandfather are both bald and I would say my 55 year old father looks reasonably like this. (I'll attach pic below)

I'm just wondering, Dr Cole was one of the surgeons on my list so it is disappointing to hear he would be hesitant to do a transplant below the age of 29. I understand his point about being concerned where the hairloss would stop. Well would it not just be possible to take the grafts from as low as possible? Also, repair patients often have very limited donor hair so would it not be the same as them really?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to find out as much as possible. Thanks again

This isn't my father but very similar to his hairloss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bald.jpg

Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	20872  

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post
    35YrsAfter thanks again for getting back to me. My father & grandfather are both bald and I would say my 55 year old father looks reasonably like this. (I'll attach pic below)

I'm just wondering, Dr Cole was one of the surgeons on my list so it is disappointing to hear he would be hesitant to do a transplant below the age of 29. I understand his point about being concerned where the hairloss would stop. Well would it not just be possible to take the grafts from as low as possible? Also, repair patients often have very limited donor hair so would it not be the same as them really?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to find out as much as possible. Thanks again
    It won't hurt to do a consult.

If you are interested, please fill out the form and upload high quality photos.

Dr. Cole has a technology available here at the office that can help provide an estimate of future hair loss. This technology requires a visit to our office.

I wish you the best and hopefully there will be a major breakthrough in the treatment of hair loss relatively soon.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post
    Hi everyone I am looking for some advice and suggestions.

My hair has been receding and thinning on top since my late teens. I have been using Minoxidil for about a year now and it doesn't appear to be working for me. I had a meeting with my dermatologist a few months back who agreed. Obviously that only leaves Propecia which I have more or less decided not to take as the potential side effects for me is just not something I would want to live with.

So I am now looking into a hair transplant. I have been using Nanogen as a cover up which has worked very well, however the problem is my hair line is receding, especially at my temples & crown + it's thinning on top. Therefore it's getting harder and harder to hide my hair loss. It won't be too long before I can't.

I would like to sort my hairline and temples so it will give me more styling options because at the moment I feel pretty limited.

My questions are:
    .Will any surgeons do a transplant on a 21 year old? if not why not? I understand the reasoning behind waiting as long as possible but for me I don't see the benefit it waiting to go complete bald before getting a transplant
    .One of my main concerns is about thickens of the transplanted hair. A lot of transplants look quite thing, for example Jason Gardner and Silvio Belisconi both seem to have very thin transplanted hair. What outcome is realistic in terms of thickness.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You got crapped on genetically in the hair department. Happens to the best of us. The best thing you can do is report any clinic willing to take your money for procedure, they should be avoided at all cost.

Check out some of the hair pieces that are out there. That industry, like the hair restoration industry, has come a long long long way. Not your grandfathers hairpiece.

Hair restoration is always 10 years away, one of these days it'll actually be true and you can reclaim your natural wig. Until then...

As a patient of Dr. Cole, until Cole can CONSISTENTLY get his regeneration from FUE in 85% or better number with his new ACELL regimen post surgery, my advice is there is no reason to waste any resources on a consult in this particular case.

That said, if you're gonna be in ATL, sure, stop by, do the exercise, let Cole state the obvious. Otherwise you can go to Umar in Cali, who is better with the body (not beard) than Cole, but body hair still looks less convincing and sets up another long tedious road you may not want to travel.

Not trying to pour salt in your kool aid 35YA, but at 21 that's got NW6 written all over it and you know it.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITNEVERRAINS View Post
    As a patient of Dr. Cole, until Cole can CONSISTENTLY get his regeneration from FUE in 85% or better number with his new ACELL regimen post surgery, my advice is there is no reason to waste any resources on a consult in this particular case.

That said, if you're gonna be in ATL, sure, stop by, do the exercise, let Cole state the obvious. Otherwise you can go to Umar in Cali, who is better with the body (not beard) than Cole, but body hair still looks less convincing and sets up another long tedious road you may not want to travel.

Not trying to pour salt in your kool aid 35YA, but at 21 that's got NW6 written all over it and you know it.
    In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned that Dr. Cole is normally reluctant to perform hair transplant surgery on anyone under 29. That said, Dr. Cole recently performed hair transplant surgery on a 14 year old who had a large bald area of scar tissue on the top and side of his head.

I suggested a consult to this young man so that he could come away with an accurate assessment of his hair loss and probability of future hair loss. Photos posted in a forum and a pic of an unrelated Norwood 6 does not provide the foundation for an accurate evaluation.
    I agree with you, he is most likely headed toward a Norwood 6. If it were me over again, I would want to know what I'm up against and what are my best options.

Most patients agree that framing the face with a natural, higher than expected/desired hairline provides the greatest cosmetic benefit. Norwood 6 patients can get a decent cosmetic result even if they still have crown thinning or loss. Any hair loss is generally unacceptable to younger patients. As we grow older it's not such a big deal.

There are non-HT treatments available to a 21 year old that can slow the MPB process. The best treatment can not be evaluated accurately by looking at photos and viewing a Norwood 6 photo similar to a family member.
    That is why I recommended an in-person consultation.

Norwood 6 is not the end of the world. I have mentioned in this forum before, that I have a friend who is 42 and a Norwood 6. He shaves his head and has no interest in hair restoration surgery whatsoever. I have never known any man more popular with women. One time his girlfriend (totally hot babe) made him angry and by 6PM that day, he had six women texting him and wanting to go out with him. He just starts conversations with women he's interested in. Could be at StarBucks, or the grocery store, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I have another friend with a full head of hair who is a walking pity party. Women find him unattractive. Wouldn't it be great to begin being happy and live life to the fullest? Much of sexual attraction is about opposites. Some women prefer men with hair loss. I had a women not long ago tell me straight out the she finds bald men incredibly sexy.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

"In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned that Dr. Cole is normally reluctant to perform hair transplant surgery on anyone under 29. That said, Dr. Cole recently performed hair transplant surgery on a 14 year old who had a large bald area of scar tissue on the top and side of his head."

Apples and oranges, his hairloss is not deformation or from medical condition/scarring accident, its MPB.

"I suggested a consult to this young man so that he could come away with an accurate assessment of his hair loss and probability of future hair loss. Photos posted in a forum and a pic of an unrelated Norwood 6 does not provide the foundation for an accurate evaluation.
    I agree with you, he is most likely headed toward a Norwood 6. If it were me over again, I would want to know what I'm up against and what are my best options."

I'm with ya, I just think its a pricey endeavor with travel and lodging to be told the obvious, which is why I said if he's in the area, of course, do the exercise.

"Most patients agree that framing the face with a natural, higher than expected/desired hairline provides the greatest cosmetic benefit. Norwood 6 patients can get a decent cosmetic result even if they still have crown thinning or loss. Any hair loss is generally unacceptable to younger patients. As we grow older it's not such a big deal."

I agree, when he's older framing the face will be option even if no advances occur in the industry. So, to UKCali, if you don't mind being bald from the front hairline back, but your face is framed nicely, I would say its worth the exercise now vs later. If a shiner on the crown is just as bad as receding, hold off.

"There are non-HT treatments available to a 21 year old that can slow the MPB process. The best treatment can not be evaluated accurately by looking at photos and viewing a Norwood 6 photo similar to a family member.
    That is why I recommended an in-person consultation."

Sure, I just would spend exorbitant amount to be told try finasteride, minox, or PRP until he's in his 30's and assess/address then. If he's got $ lying around at 21 and wants to see if he's a needle in the haystack MPB speaking, sure.

"Norwood 6 is not the end of the world. I have mentioned in this forum before, that I have a friend who is 42 and a Norwood 6. He shaves his head and has no interest in hair restoration surgery whatsoever. I have never known any man more popular with women. One time his girlfriend (totally hot babe) made him angry and by 6PM that day, he had six women texting him and wanting to go out with him. He just starts conversations with women he's interested in. Could be at StarBucks, or the grocery store, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I have another friend with a full head of hair who is a walking pity party. Women find him unattractive. Wouldn't it be great to begin being happy and live life to the fullest? Much of sexual attraction is about opposites. Some women prefer men with hair loss. I had a women not long ago tell me straight out the she finds bald men incredibly sexy."

Could not agree more. Some people look absolutely fantastic bald, and some people have swagger despite bald. "Knowing thy self" is paramount in life.