+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia vs Depression

Not sure what to do guys? For 10yrs I've been worrying about my hair loss, literally as soon as I wake up to the moment I close my eyes. Im pretty sure I've had a fair few dreams about it as well, actually lets call them nightmares! Then again lets call the whole thing a nightmare. I here stories all the time about the sides of using the drug but at the same time the way I feel about my hair every minute of every day and checking it constantly is taking its toll on my mental health, this is not a healthy way to live. The amount of situations I avoid because of it is unbelievable, yet they have become a part of my life and not for the best. Its got to the point where I drive to the next nearest town to shop where I wont bump into anyone I know etc etc. I would probably rather risk the 2% chance of getting sides than have this mind numbing depressive feeling over my shoulders for another 10yrs. Its taking over my life.

Quote Originally Posted by WINGER View Post
    Not sure what to do guys? For 10yrs I've been worrying about my hair loss, literally as soon as I wake up to the moment I close my eyes. Im pretty sure I've had a fair few dreams about it as well, actually lets call them nightmares! Then again lets call the whole thing a nightmare. I here stories all the time about the sides of using the drug but at the same time the way I feel about my hair every minute of every day and checking it constantly is taking its toll on my mental health, this is not a healthy way to live. The amount of situations I avoid because of it is unbelievable, yet they have become a part of my life and not for the best. Its got to the point where I drive to the next nearest town to shop where I wont bump into anyone I know etc etc. I would probably rather risk the 2% chance of getting sides than have this mind numbing depressive feeling over my shoulders for another 10yrs. Its taking over my life.
    It's not easy I know I've been there done it, avoiding the social functions becoming reclusive etc etc. If things really are that bad for you then perhaps finasteride may help you find some mental relief, you're clearly aware of the sides, but at the same time be realistic about what propecia can do for you, what norwood are you?
    From personal experience fin helped get me through my twenties, now I'm into my thirties I've accepted who I am in terms of hair loss however it took me 10 years to get there. So if you think fin will provide that relief I can see you're looking for then perhaps it's an option you can look into. In terms of avoiding social events and shopping one town over that's a cycle you're going to have to get yourself out of, that's not good for you hair or no hair, making yourself feel isolated will do more harm than good, sometimes we just have to grit our teeth and push ourselves through the worst of it, so spend time with your friends and family.
    What I will say is though once you manage to start dealing with it mentally (I'd start with socializing a little more) it'll surprise you how quickly you'll feel better, so you might not spend the next ten years feeling as terrible as you think you might.
    But anyway fin or no fin I hope you feel better about yourself soon.