+ Reply to Thread

Default "Ideal candidates" for hair transplants

What does this mean? I often see websites stating that men with NW2 and under NW3 are not ideal candidates for hair transplants. I don't get this - wouldn't they be even better candidates given that they want to get a HP before it's either too late, or too expensive?

Also, are there many doctors willing to operate on a man under NW3, even if edging close (say NW 2.5 - 2.75).

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    What does this mean? I often see websites stating that men with NW2 and under NW3 are not ideal candidates for hair transplants. I don't get this - wouldn't they be even better candidates given that they want to get a HP before it's either too late, or too expensive?

Also, are there many doctors willing to operate on a man under NW3, even if edging close (say NW 2.5 - 2.75).
    I'll throw my two cents in here, again if I'm wrong someone will correct me but this is how I see it, an ideal candidate is someone of suitable age with donor hair that isn't thin or thinning and has enough donor hair to sustain future procedures (it usually isn't the case of one surgery and everything is fixed, as you continue to lose hair follow up procedures are required to fill in the gaps so to speak).
    Yes you will find a surgeon willing to operate on a man under a NW3 it will be a quicker less expensive procedure. If you're under a NW3 I would suggest an FUE transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    I'll throw my two cents in here, again if I'm wrong someone will correct me but this is how I see it, an ideal candidate is someone of suitable age with donor hair that isn't thin or thinning and has enough donor hair to sustain future procedures (it usually isn't the case of one surgery and everything is fixed, as you continue to lose hair follow up procedures are required to fill in the gaps so to speak).
    Yes you will find a surgeon willing to operate on a man under a NW3 it will be a quicker less expensive procedure. If you're under a NW3 I would suggest an FUE transplant.
    Ok I'll take the FUE option on board. Would you recommend against the FUT treatment, is it worse for the donor area than the FUE method? It's just that I will not be able to afford a hair transplant for another year or so as I am in college at the moment, would the "Big 3" keep my hair intact for the next year, providing each are taken and applied properly?

Dav7,

I wouldn't rule out either.

There is no right or wrong approach as different clinics have different opinions, but do enough research so you fully understand everything involved in having hair restoration surgery via either procedure.

You will get highest number of grafts available from a combination of both procedures.

There are pros and cons with both procedures. I think Kayman gave you some good advice and I think chrisdav has a very balanced approach to giving advice also. I heard him tell his story on the Bald Truth show and he sounds like one of the more experienced and reasonable HT veterans on this forum.

Getting back to a question there earlier, can the "big 3" maintain an existing hairline/ NW scale for 1-2 years?

The "Big 3" certainly can maintain hair for that long - and much longer than that too.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post

NW 2.9375 are perfect candidates!