+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FUT scarring

Default FUT scarring

Ok, what I want to know about the FUT-HT route is this, what kind of a scar (size, detectability etc) does a FUT operation leave? I keep hearing about a permanent scarring on the head, how noticeable would this scarring be - would it always be noticeable say if your hair was a number 5 haircut up, or would it only be noticeable when your hair was short (size 1 -3).

Also, just to note (a) FUT seems way cheaper than FUE which is one of the reasons I am asking, and (b) I never keep my hair short - always a number 5 or more. Would such scarring still be noticeable even at this length?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I keep hearing about a permanent scarring on the head, how noticeable would this scarring be?
    Truly gifted hair restoration surgeons are very good at minimizing the scar to the point that it is almost undetectable. My surgeon and hair stylist both know exactly where my scar is - but both have trouble finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Truly gifted hair restoration surgeons are very good at minimizing the scar to the point that it is almost undetectable. My surgeon and hair stylist both know exactly where my scar is - but both have trouble finding it.
    I see. While I often see HT clinics in Europe and the USA saying they charge €5+ per hair graft, I see in other parts of the world like Turkey they charge €1.5 per FUT graft. The FUE procedure is a lot more expensive in comparison. Is this actually good value, or are these doctors less competent (perhaps with a few con men thrown in) than doctors in the West. Also would there be the potential for a complete botch job with such individuals? I am asking, because while I am very tempted by such a low price (student + part time worker budget), I am a bit suspicious of a procedure costing that little. Basically, it would mean I would pay €2,200 approx for a FUT transplant, as opposed to paying €8-12,000 in Europe.

Also, I've been reading up something to do with donor and the FUT treatment - does this affect long term maintenance of hair, and does it disadvantage (or not) you if you ever need another hair transplant in future?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I see. While I often see HT clinics in Europe and the USA saying they charge €5+ per hair graft, I see in other parts of the world like Turkey they charge €1.5 per FUT graft. The FUE procedure is a lot more expensive in comparison. Is this actually good value, or are these doctors less competent (perhaps with a few con men thrown in) than doctors in the West. Also would there be the potential for a complete botch job with such individuals? I am asking, because while I am very tempted by such a low price (student + part time worker budget), I am a bit suspicious of a procedure costing that little. Basically, it would mean I would pay €2,200 approx for a FUT transplant, as opposed to paying €8-12,000 in Europe.
    This is the risk, some people are willing to risk it and go with a budget hair transplant surgeon like those commonly found in India, the strength of the euro compared to the strength of the rupee means you get a hair transplant for much less than you would in say America or Canada, however, the doctors who charge the big money will have a track record for performing excellent surgery and producing quality results.
    Just bare in mind that if you're going FUT and it doesn't quite work out that when it comes to shaving your head (if you decide to do that) than you may have a large tell tale scar on the back of your head when you do. This is why FUE is a more attractive procedure to most. You wont yield as much hair but you eliminate that risk of a big smiley scar on the back of your head. Not that FUE doesn't have it's own risks, small pink or white dots can remain in the donor area after the procedure.
    So really the severity of scarring boils down to the skill of the surgeon and the way your body heals. But with FUT there will be a scar, so bare this in mind when choosing a surgeon. If it were me, I would be inclined to pay the extra and know I was in safe hands.

Fact is strip scar is a strip scar regardless how gifted the surgeon is.
    I do respect tracy's opinion on many matters but don't listen to her on this one, since she is a woman, and women don't end up being nw7 and 99% of them will never shave their head no matter what, so they could get away with a strip scar on the back of their head.
    MPB is progressive, you might have enough hair now to keep the sides and back long, but what if your hair loss progress and you end up with no enough donor supply to cover the balding areas ? In this case, you'll only have 2 options, first one is to keep the sides and back long with obvious bald sports and some HT islands on top in order to cover the strip scar and sport the horseshoes look. Second option is to spend years and lots of money trying to fix the scar so just that you can shave your hair short and move on.
    Think about it, almost all of the HTs victims are the ones who go for FUT. it's your choice, but think wise so you don't end up regreting your choice.

People often bring up outdated strip work and claim that this is what can happen via FUT. It depends on your goals in surgery and what is best for you as the individual in the long term. A combination of both procedures will maximise the finite donor supply we have.

For me personally, the strip scar was never an issue and it isn't for some people. It is usually an issue for guys who are fixated and obsessive about this in particular.

There is no right or wrong approach-it is what is best for you personally as it is your head.

In my opinion, you need to take into account all the different positives and negatives into consideration of both procedures for not just the immediate short term, but also the long term to make a well-rounded overall decision.

For me personally, I will strip out my donor supply and then Fue after that.

There are no guarantees with any surgery even if you go to the best surgeon in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdav View Post
    People often bring up outdated strip work and claim that this is what can happen via FUT. It depends on your goals in surgery and what is best for you as the individual in the long term. A combination of both procedures will maximise the finite donor supply we have.

For me personally, the strip scar was never an issue and it isn't for some people. It is usually an issue for guys who are fixated and obsessive about this but yet do not take in all the different positives and negatives into consideration of both procedures not just in the short term, but also the long term to make a well-rounded overall decision.

There are no guarantees with any surgery even if you go to the best surgeon in the world.
    I see. Well I usually keep my hair at a number 5 and up (moreso when I had hair), I never go for short haircuts.

As for the FUT scarring, have you heard of after surgery stores or cases from clinics in places like Turkey? I ask because hair transplants seem so cheap over there. Has this anything to do with the quality been not as good as in the West, or is it simply that doctors wages and medical expenses are a lot less over there? I ask, because while I am very tempted to go to Turkey for a cheap transplant in comparison to Europe (student budget), I am a bit weary as to whether the prices bear any relation to the quality of work done by doctors and surgeons in that country, or countries like India etc.

Dav7,

There are some familar names that get brought up quite regularly from Turkey and I have seen some very good results online, but I have not met any patients from the clinics in person.

The names that get brought up are Dr Keser, Dr Koray Erdogan, Dr Hakan Doganay and a couple of others.

They all perform Fue exclusively over in Turkey.

I couldn't recommend them currently as I don't know enough about them, and it would be less of a risk to look through recommended surgeons in the IAHRS.

If you are basing transplantation solely on price, then don't have one for now and save up your money.