+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mpalardy View Post
    One thing that I always wonder when I see statements by women about bald men, regardless of their veracity or not...

Do they mean typical MPB? Or do they mean the shaven look? These are two very different things.

I'm inclined to think that younger women, college-aged or in their 20s, tend to think the latter. When the 30s hit, though, and the number of men in some stage of MPB starts to increase, women come to terms with the fact that men bald, and can still look handsome doing so.
    I'm not sure if that's true, there are many women in their 30s + 40s who still find MPB unattractive. Perhaps it's just that they settled down with men before their MPB became evident? Seriously though, a normal hairline is going to get you 10 times + the amount of options as if you're a NW2 and up, regardless if you shave it or not (the shade is always a big give away). As you up the Norwood scale, it seems that youe dating prospects are drastically reduced, regardless of what age the woman is (well maybe if they are 50 years and up and single and hence desperate). God MPB is a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I'm not sure if that's true, there are many women in their 30s + 40s who still find MPB unattractive. Perhaps it's just that they settled down with men before their MPB became evident? Seriously though, a normal hairline is going to get you 10 times + the amount of options as if you're a NW2 and up, regardless if you shave it or not (the shade is always a big give away). As you up the Norwood scale, it seems that youe dating prospects are drastically reduced, regardless of what age the woman is (well maybe if they are 50 years and up and single and hence desperate). God MPB is a curse.

I think you are looking waaay to much into it dude.

Dav7, I'm sure that there are many women in their 30s and 40s who don't like MPB, just as there are many women who don't like facial hair. However, I'd say the proportion of them is much less than younger women due to the fact that an increasing proportion of men their age are showing recession--or, if they're not, some straggly grays are starting to show in their head. As people are tending to marry later nowadays, this understanding that we're not kids any more tends to affect both genders.

If we don't come to terms with it, we're doomed to become creepy old guys trying to pick up college girls or desperate cougars. Honestly, I'm 33 and a Norwood 3A, and, so long as I keep what remains of my hair neat, I never seem to have many problems among women of my age. Likely I notice it a lot more than others do.

As for shaving, I've come across a lot more women of my age who hate shaved heads than those who hate MPB.

Here's the thing...
    Almost all of the positive comments I get about my hair/shaving my head are from women my age or men 40+.

Nearly all of the negative criticism I get for shaving my head is from males in my age group.

Interpretation: Girls don't care as long as you look good shaven, and guys will always try to put you down so they can be "alpha".

Not sure about the horseshoe, never experienced that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingCow View Post
    Here's the thing...
    Almost all of the positive comments I get about my hair/shaving my head are from women my age or men 40+.

Nearly all of the negative criticism I get for shaving my head is from males in my age group.

Interpretation: Girls don't care as long as you look good shaven, and guys will always try to put you down so they can be "alpha".

Not sure about the horseshoe, never experienced that.
    But I'm 27, never had a problem dating up until 24 and even dated very good looking women, including one of the best looking girls in my school. At only a NW 2.5, they notice it and hence either reject or ignore me. I know the buzz cut suites some men, but it does not for me, possibly because I look way younger than my age. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if I looked my age, I don't know. Anyway, the buzz cut or bic doesn't work, the MPB is ****ing up my dating opportunities. Seriously, this stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    But I'm 27, never had a problem dating up until 24 and even dated very good looking women, including one of the best looking girls in my school. At only a NW 2.5, they notice it and hence either reject or ignore me. I know the buzz cut suites some men, but it does not for me, possibly because I look way younger than my age. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if I looked my age, I don't know. Anyway, the buzz cut or bic doesn't work, the MPB is ****ing up my dating opportunities. Seriously, this stinks.
    Well, I'm sorry about that.

I do have some stuff going for me regarding shaving my head; perhaps that's why I'm successful with the look. My head is well shaped, I have good eyebrows, I'm over 6' tall, with a lean muscular physique and overall in extremely good shape. I also have very light hair which doesn't show when freshly shaved and I'm only a NW3 so it's not too obvious that I have MPB. I am only 18 though, so it's a weird hairstyle choice for someone my age.

Did you actually try shaving it, not just buzzing it? I found that for me, buzzing to a 2 guard just accentuated the loss, while shaving pretty much solved the problem to my satisfaction.

Best of luck in the future.

TLC

Dav7, NW 2.5 is nothing; you still have good options. Roger Sterling, perhaps?

But think about it: good women will grow into your look. Those who won't are likely shallow chickenheads to begin with. Heaven knows there's no shortage of them.

And, LaughingCow, what is your age? I ask because I'm gathering that most posters here are a little younger than I, and my experience of all of this may thus be somewhat different.

10char

Sorry, you answered right while I was in the midst of asking...

Wow, you're a young'un. It's hard to say what's best in the face of the high-school cliquishness you must face by the day. But bravo, you've taken the bull by the horns.