+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why doesn't propecia cause sexual side effects for everyone?

If Propecia lowers DHT and DHT is responsible for the size and frequency of erections, then why doesn't it cause sexual side effects for everyone because ultimately everyone who takes it is lowering there dht??

It is very true what doctors have said throughout the years, everyone's body is different. That's the clearest answer I can think of.

Also, the more DHT you have, or the more aggressive your MPB is, the less effective finasteride will be. You'll have so much DHT that finasteride can't really make a dent on it. Which results in the person not suffering from sexual side effects. Those who do suffer from it, are probably those "good responders", because their MPB is not as aggressive.

I don't know, that's what I think.

I think it is a combination of everyone's body is different and side effects of finasteride being widely underreported.

Finasteride users tend to be an older crowd, or at least middle-aged, so if they notice sexual side effects while on the drug, they may wrongly attribute them to normal ageing. I also think a lot of men using finasteride are in denial. As men, our sexual identities are very important to us, and I think for this reason a lot of men are very reluctant to admit to any kind of decline in sexual performance even to their doctors.

True, i'm 24 and have used finasteride since I was 18 and haven't suffered from sexual side effects. But also, I haven't had any regrowth with it, just slowed down my aggressive hair loss. I think i'm in the too much DHT/too aggressive category.

I have a question for you guys. I am thinking of trying rogaine. I am a Norwood 3a, which means thinning on the front and no thinning on the crown. I had a hair transplant on the hairline 4 months ago but I want to try to regrow the front to match the density of the rest of my hair before I go for a 2nd transplant to dense pack.

Do you guys know if Rogaine will regrow hair in the front ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I think it is a combination of everyone's body is different and side effects of finasteride being widely underreported.

Finasteride users tend to be an older crowd, or at least middle-aged, so if they notice sexual side effects while on the drug, they may wrongly attribute them to normal ageing. I also think a lot of men using finasteride are in denial. As men, our sexual identities are very important to us, and I think for this reason a lot of men are very reluctant to admit to any kind of decline in sexual performance even to their doctors.
    How can you possibly know what a middle aged man is thinking when you are 30 years old?

I am 46 years old and your post reads like someone who has framed an opinion in their mind and is trying to blanket that opinion onto people who do not fit into your preconceived conclusions. Try not to assume anything onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJones12 View Post
    If Propecia lowers DHT and DHT is responsible for the size and frequency of erections
    I do not believe that is the case.

Thanks for the input guys, would be good if we could get a professional medical opinion on this question as its still a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I do not believe that is the case.
    Feel free to elaborate....

some folks produce less dht but the hair follicles on their scalps are more sensitive to dht all around--which makes propecia effective but also causes sexual side effects. it is possible for a young man whose body produces a lot of dht to not have any hair loss--it's all about the genetic predisposition to dht hair follicle sensitivity. in my case i got sides on propecia--speaking just for myself here, i was never, nor am i now a guy who is always thinking about sex. don't get me wrong, i love women and get all the normal urges, but i am not overflowing with constant desire--some men are and i would assume they generally (i said generally) have more testosterone/dht--combine this with hair follicle sensitivity to dht and you have a problem. everyone's body is a big chemistry set on two legs. while we are very similar in most regards, the way our bodies respond to drugs differs widely. i would reckon that for some guys out there who produce a higher amount of dht than normal would maybe even benefit from propecia in more ways than just their hair. but this is just speculation on my part.