+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AM I going bald? If so, HOW do I prevent any more hair loss before it gets worse?

I'm 20 years old. I have been really, really stressed out about this for a year now. I used to shave my head for 2 years then I immediately after grew my hair long. I finally got a proper hair cut, and I've noticed just how much the hair at my temples are behind.

I have to say though I always had a higher hairline but I didn't realise it untill now. Mbp does run in my family. On both sides. My dad, both grandparents, and two out of my three uncles are bald. Only one uncle (my dad's brother) isn't. Both my dad's younger brother and my mom's brother are bald. The funny thing is my dad's maternal family, NO one lost hair. Not one uncle.

Anyway, my dad said when he was my age, his hair was noticeably thin and that I have a lot more hair than he did at my age. I look at my mom and my sister and their temples kind of go in the way mine does but recently I've been seeing hair fall out when I never used to see hair fall out. Its freaking me out. I'm becoming so self conscious about it.

If I am experiencing balding, what can I do to STOP it? I still have a lot of hair as it is, so I just want to keep what I have before it's too late. Thanks.

Album: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10060385/

Quote Originally Posted by Julez View Post
    I'm 20 years old. I have been really, really stressed out about this for a year now. I used to shave my head for 2 years then I immediately after grew my hair long. I finally got a proper hair cut, and I've noticed just how much the hair at my temples are behind.

I have to say though I always had a higher hairline but I didn't realise it untill now. Mbp does run in my family. On both sides. My dad, both grandparents, and two out of my three uncles are bald. Only one uncle (my dad's brother) isn't. Both my dad's younger brother and my mom's brother are bald. The funny thing is my dad's maternal family, NO one lost hair. Not one uncle.

Anyway, my dad said when he was my age, his hair was noticeably thin and that I have a lot more hair than he did at my age. I look at my mom and my sister and their temples kind of go in the way mine does but recently I've been seeing hair fall out when I never used to see hair fall out. Its freaking me out. I'm becoming so self conscious about it.

If I am experiencing balding, what can I do to STOP it? I still have a lot of hair as it is, so I just want to keep what I have before it's too late. Thanks.

Album: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10060385/
    Looks like you might be receding a bit, but to really tell you should try to compare to older pictures of yourself to see if your hairline has moved much. But don't worry too much because at this stage NO ONE will notice your hair loss.

What can you do?

The only real treatments are minoxidil and propecia but you should study them both before considering them. For you propecia will be more beneficial to maintain what you have but it can come with side effects and personally I would not recommend it. I don't really think it is safe for young men as it can mess with your hormones and libido but many people will disagree with me on here.

Other than that, acceptance is your only other option. There may be better and safer treatments available within 5 years but we still our not too sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bald View Post
    Looks like you might be receding a bit, but to really tell you should try to compare to older pictures of yourself to see if your hairline has moved much. But don't worry too much because at this stage NO ONE will notice your hair loss.

What can you do?

The only real treatments are minoxidil and propecia but you should study them both before considering them. For you propecia will be more beneficial to maintain what you have but it can come with side effects and personally I would not recommend it. I don't really think it is safe for young men as it can mess with your hormones and libido but many people will disagree with me on here.

Other than that, acceptance is your only other option. There may be better and safer treatments available within 5 years but we still our not too sure about it.
    Hm, is minoxidil and propecia over the counter? Because if they are prescription I'm positive doctors will laugh at me and think I'm crazy for thinking I'm balding.

Minoxidil is but Propecia, no. You will need a prescription or risk ordering it from an online pharmacy.

It isn't necessarily a risk to use online pharmacies, but it's best to go to your doctor first. You're right, they may know nothing about hair loss treatments and tell you to accept it, but you don't know until you try.

You have some minor temple recession but your hair still looks great overall.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the quick responses.

So it's safe to say my hair is receding due to mpb and not just a "mature hairline"?

though theres a debate on this, i view the "mature hairline" as the first stage of male pattern baldness.

It depends on your genetics how much it will progress. whats your dads hair like - uncles and grandfathers on both sides? that will give you an idea on how far your mpb will progress.

if everyone in your family has full heads of hair, chances are you will too, but keep an eye on it. if anyone is bald, theres a chance you will be too.

Im 23 and take propecia with no problem, as do many people. Its great in terms of maintaining your hair

Thanks for the quick responses.

So it's safe to say my hair is receding due to mpb and not just a "mature hairline"?
    Hard to tell but I would guess yes if it runs in your family. Have you not got older pictures you can compare with? Keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    though theres a debate on this, i view the "mature hairline" as the first stage of male pattern baldness.

It depends on your genetics how much it will progress. whats your dads hair like - uncles and grandfathers on both sides? that will give you an idea on how far your mpb will progress.

if everyone in your family has full heads of hair, chances are you will too, but keep an eye on it. if anyone is bald, theres a chance you will be too.

Im 23 and take propecia with no problem, as do many people. Its great in terms of maintaining your hair
    Like I said in my original post, my dad, both grandfathers and 2/3 uncles are bald. My dad's youngest brother and my mom's only brother are bald. My dad's older brother still has hair though it has receded since he was young. He still has hair covering his head though. I'd like to take propecia but worried I may be a bit young to be taking a hormone manipulating pill while I'm only 20? What do you think?

Like I said in my original post, my dad, both grandfathers and 2/3 uncles are bald. My dad's youngest brother and my mom's only brother are bald. My dad's older brother still has hair though it has receded since he was young. He still has hair covering his head though. I'd like to take propecia but worried I may be a bit young to be taking a hormone manipulating pill while I'm only 20? What do you think?
    It's likely mpb then. Only you can make that decision, I'm 22 and my hair is much much worse than yours, personally I won't touch the stuff, I know there are others who feel the same. But there also people who don't get sides and it helps them a great deal. I don't think it's been on the market long enough to fully understand how safe it is.