+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NEW STUDY 2013 on BLACK TEA and Hairloss!

Hello guys,

Let me start with saying i have absolutely nothing against propecia, I chose not to use it because my hair loss is not dramatic enough for my to push the cyber negativity aside. I think if I ever need to, I will use this drug, It has helped many people.

We all know the famous study done in Harvard which concluded that black tea does reduce DHT level, even somewhat more than propecia. The argument then was, "Is there a difference between black tea and propecia?". People have said, although they both reduce dht and have similar functions, it's where they're different that matter.

This new study, perhaps, is starting to show otherwise. What are your thoughts!??

Study validates Black Tea Extract as a Treatment for Acne, Male Pattern Baldness

In a prior update we identified the ability of Black Tea consumption to precipitously lower DHT blood levels in mammal models by 72%, which is a percentage point more than Proscar, which acheives a 71% reduction, and 6 points more than Propecia, which achieves a 65% reduction. Based upon this data, we have recommended for several years that Black Tea (Theaflavin) Extract be used as part of a treatment regime for hair loss, and as an alternative to finasteride, particularly those who wanted to discontinue Propecia for health reasons, but wanted to maintain the hair benefit. The feedback from many who have used or made the switch from finasteride to Theaflavin Extract has not only been positive, but on several occasions validated by blood tests indicating substantial drops in serum DHT in response to its usage.

This featured study identifies the specific anti-androgenic mechanisms of Black Tea, and its potential use as a treatment for androgen mediated disorders, such as Acne and Male Pattern Baldness. What it found was that Theaflavin not only inhibits 5 alpha reductase by 89%, which is more potent than finasteride (Procar/Propecia), it also inhibits the expression of androgen receptor activity, providing an added dimension of treatment over 5 alpha reductase inhibition alone.

The study concludes that the role of Theaflavins in chemoprevention and treatment of male and female pattern hair loss are significant, especially given its dual mechanisms.

Carcinogenesis. 1109-18

Theaflavin-3,3'-digallate and penta-O-galloyl-beta-D-glucose inhibit rat liver microsomal 5alpha-reductase activity and the expression of androgen receptor in LNCaP prostate cancer cells.

Lee HH, Ho CT, Lin JK

Source

Institute of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.

Abstract

Androgens play a critical role in regulating the growth, differentiation and survival of epithelial cells in many androgen-responsive organs, such as prostate and skin. The enzyme steroid 5α-reductase (EC 1.3.99.5) catalyzes the conversion of testosterone (T) to a more active androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT then binds to androgen receptors (AR) and functions in the nucleus to regulate specific gene expression. Androgens via their cognate receptor may be involved in the development and progression of benign prostate hyperplasia, prostate cancer, hirsutism, male pattern alopecia and acne. The aim of this study was to determine whether theaflavin-3,3′-digallate (TF3) and penta-O-galloyl-β-D-glucose (5GG) have inhibitory effects on androgen production and action. We found that TF3 and 5GG inhibit rat liver microsomal 5α-reductase activity. Furthermore, TF3 and 5GG significantly reduced androgen-responsive LNCaP prostate cancer cell growth, suppressed expression of the AR and lowered androgen-induced prostate-specific antigen secretion and fatty acid synthase protein level. In conclusion, our result suggests that TF3 and 5GG might be useful chemoprevention agents for prostate cancer, male pattern alopecia, and acne through suppressing the function of androgen receptor activity.

Comment

This study also found that Theaflavins exhibited an 89% inhibition of 5 alpha reductase activity in concentrations that could be conceivably achieved through oral consumption.

Our Theaflavin Extract is a concentrated Black Tea Extract that contains the polyphenol equivalent of 5-10 glasses of strongly brewed Black Tea. Consistent feedback over several years has enabled us to refine the dosage recommendations to attain the desired DHT reduction effects. For those under 170 lbs, 2 capsules a day in divided doses are recommended. For those who are over 170 lbs, 3 capsules a day are recommended.

Unlike Propecia, Black Tea Extract not only produces absolutely no sexual side effects, it actually enhances libido and raises testosterone while lowering DHT, a plus for both hair and health.

Guys please try to address these topics in the forum.

1) Reviews of people using black tea extract
    2) What is the difference between black tea extract and black tea complex?
    3) Any side effects from people using it?
    4) What do you think about this article?

Default Link for article

I forgot to post a link to the actual article.
    http://www.hairloss-research.org/Upd...lavin3-13.html

I'm sorry, and I don't want to be rude here - but this sounds like nonsense, because where I am from people drink a lot of black tea (with milk usually granted), and there are still a lot of bald and balding men.

If tea did anything for hair loss, Britain would have had far less bald heads going back generations.

Inactive

All the soy and tea in the world will never be able to compete with pharmaceuticals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    If tea did anything for hair loss, Britain would have had far less bald heads going back generations.
    This! I've drank black tea on a regular basis for most of my life, didn't do anything for me.

Thank for your feedback guys. Feedbacks seem to be negative here, I have seen positive feedbacks.

As for the people drinking black tea on a regular basis, understad. You would have to drink about 20 cups of black tea on a religious daily basis in order to see substantial results.

Black tea won't save your hair.

clandestine, does this opinion go for all natural DHT inhibitors?

I dont much trust supplement makers there are numerous consumer reports proving lots of supplements have all kinds of weird crap in them or lie about amounts among other things. Do supplements in powder form get absorbed and used though the same as if you drank tea? Its never as simple as it sounds and if anything is wrong or off by a little your get bad results or risk your health.
    Also to be honest I think some smaller studies are biased or paid for by supplement makers to get people to buy this stuff. It is hard to explain why places that drink lots of black tea have so many guys still balding. Propecia stops MPB in nearly 90 percent so you would expect black tea to do that.