+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 20 years old and receding hairline

I am 20 years old and I have what you would call a widow's peak and it is very severe and noticeable (at least I think it is). my hairline began to recede around my temples probably around the age of 14 or 15. I always just thought it was "just how my hair grew" but over the last couple of years I have noticed it getting worse and worse. I have become EXTREMELY self-conscious of it and over the past year or so it has become something that I think about CONSTANTLY, all day every day. My father has the same sort of receding hairline, but he did not develop it until his 30's. Even if it does not look as bad as I think it does, it is something that I cannot stop thinking about on a daily basis and it has severely impacted my confidence around other people. I sort of used rogaine liquid around my temples for a little, but I didn't use it twice a day as directed or for a long period of time at all so I am not sure what the results of that are. I am asking what my best options are to regrow my hairline. Should I commit to the rogaine, or use a different product? Hair transplant surgery is not an option, it is something I am simply not doing. ANY help is much appreciated, thank you.

also, to add a bit more information- this self consciousness of my hairline has given me a great deal of anxiety and stress, as I mentioned before it is something that I am thinking about constantly. Every single time I see a mirror, or any reflection for that matter (windows, etc.), I look at my hair. Does stress and anxiety make it worse? thanks again for the help

Most surgeons wont do a hair transplant on you until you are 30 from what I am reading.

At 20 I definitely would have gone on propecia and rogaine .

Get the generic kind to save money. Finasteride and minoxidil .

Go to your doctor, let them check you out and get a prescription.

Hope this helps

is propecia a prescription or over the counter? also is it just something that covers it up or does it actually help the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by bh8241216 View Post
    is propecia a prescription or over the counter? also is it just something that covers it up or does it actually help the problem?
    I see rogaine in the grocery store. However, I have never seen propecia or any kind of finasteride. I think its by prescription only.

Quote Originally Posted by bh8241216 View Post
    It's a prescription drug that suppresses the conversion of testosterone into DHT (the stuff thats making your hair fall out) but it's a strong medication, and the risk of sides is there. It will halt hairloss in most people and regrowth in the vertex is common and some even regrow a little in the hairline. My advice would be to read up thoroughly on it and if you decide its for you, go and speak to your doctor and discuss it with him.