+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How much worse will it get?

Hey guys,

So I'm a 24 year old guy and I've always had a high hairline throughout adolescence, but now I think it's getting a lot worse. I've always been very conscious about my hairline and styled my hair regularly to make it look good. Lately I've been worried about hairloss and I was getting sick of styling my hair so last week I decided to shave my head to see if that look would suit me. To my horror, I discovered the true extent of my baldness. As you can see from the picture, it looks as though I'm developing an island patch in the front. Lame.

What do you think? I am wondering if anyone has a similar pattern of hairloss and how it progressed? How much time do you think I have until I'm completely bald? I have a rather bumpy head and fine hair so the reflection off my scalp makes it look a lot worse.

I've heard too many awful things about propecia that I don't think I would consider taking it. Eventually I'd like to get a hair transplant but I'm not sure if I should do it now? What other options are there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	19823   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg

Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	19824   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg

Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	19825   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg

Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	19826   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg

Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	19827  

Looks like you are probably heading for the dreaded NW6/7 territory eventually. Hard to say exactly how long before you reach that point could be in a year or two and possibly longer, just very hard to say with certainty.

I think at this point if you want to try and save your present hair and possibly regrow then Fin or Minoxidil are your only hopes. That is unless you wanna try something like RU which is nearly impossible to obtain, costs a fortune and is unstable.

Honestly, don't believe all the horror stories you read online in regards to fin. I'm not saying to discount them because I do believe some people really had genuine issues with the drug. My issue is with all the fear-mongering out there which I fell victim to unfortunately. All that fear-mongering caused me to delay treatment which in turn made my hair loss worse.

Given your young age, I think that you will be NW6 by the early thirties in the latest.

My advice is go for Propecia and give it a try. I wish I had used it earlier. Otherwise, accept who you are and shave down and live with it.

Go to the doctor and get yourself a prescription for finasteride and minoxidil. Try to go find 'Nizoral' shampoo as well. This should slow down and even reverse your male pattern baldness.

Propecia has the potential for sexual side effects; research them before you commit.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    I think at this point if you want to try and save your present hair and possibly regrow then Fin or Minoxidil are your only hopes. That is unless you wanna try something like RU which is nearly impossible to obtain, costs a fortune and is unstable.
    RU is not necessarily unstable, or hard to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Propecia has the potential for sexual side effects; research them before you commit.
    He can simply ask his doctor, who can tell him .

Researching doesnt help the doctor decide whether to give him the meds or not. Combing the internet does nothing to guess whether you will have side effects or not.

Asprin has side effects. Multi Vitamins have side effects. I am certain his doctor is in a better position to help the guy out than you are.

Why wait until be sees a doctor. Who may, or may not tell him. Doctors are ignorant concerning hair loss. This, by now, is obvious. I've experienced this ignorance first hand, as have others.

Why would you withhold information from this user? Is it to his benefit that you would neglect to mention a medication you're advocating has the potential for sexual side effects?

okay first off, no one can tell you that you will be a nw6 by early 30's, sure it's a possibility, but no one can predict hair loss...you could stop balding right where you are..but it's not likely. People lose hair because of DHT reaching the follicle and destroying it through miniaturization. You will lose your hair until you reach you genetically predetermined nw state. This could be a nw4 or it could be a nw7...

I would research RU, Propecia, Minoxidil, nizoral, and Keratene Retard and see which one's you would like to use to treat your lose until there are better treatments in the next 2-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Why wait until be sees a doctor. Who may, or may not tell him. Doctors are ignorant concerning hair loss. This, by now, is obvious. I've experienced this ignorance first hand, as have others.

Why would you withhold information from this user? Is it to his benefit that you would neglect to mention a medication you're advocating has the potential for sexual side effects?
    I stopped right after you make this comment.

Nobody hired you to be some advocate of finasteride side effects. We told him to consult his doctor , who is a professional and will know.

If you have a personal story regarding finasteride, share it. Let the doctors advise him . He can do all the research in the world but he wont know how it affects him until he sees his doctor and tries the medication.

To the OP, 4% of those who try it end up with severe side effects. Discuss these with your doctor.