+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    Sorry, but most doctors are busy treating much bigger problems. They aren't as informed about MPB treatments as you're making it seem. He needs to see someone who specializes in hair loss per se. Analogy: I'm an attorney, but you shouldn't suggest that someone come to me trying to settle a land use dispute just because I'm a lawyer, since I specialize in personal injury law and have minimal experience with land use issues. My personal story? I went to my doctor and said I think I'm losing my hair, and he said okay, here's a prescription to Propecia, good luck. 5 years later I have sexual sides and gynecomastia (manboobs) from estrogen increases directly resulting from Propecia's lowering my DHT.

The point is I wasn't informed; my doctor had no clue those sides even existed and certainly wouldn't have thought they'd come out of nowhere after years of taking it without sides. So again, do your own research before making the leap to finasteride. It worked for me for many years. But eventually I got pretty serious sides and now I can't take finasteride anymore. Just be informed, that's all Clandestine and the others are saying.
    I am also a lawyer so we both know you just wrote two paragraphs of hyperbole and didnt address the main concern.

Do not speak for groups of people as a whole. Let them state their own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    Sorry, but most doctors are busy treating much bigger problems. They aren't as informed about MPB treatments as you're making it seem. He needs to see someone who specializes in hair loss per se. Analogy: I'm an attorney, but you shouldn't suggest that someone come to me trying to settle a land use dispute just because I'm a lawyer, since I specialize in personal injury law and have minimal experience with land use issues. My personal story? I went to my doctor and said I think I'm losing my hair, and he said okay, here's a prescription to Propecia, good luck. 5 years later I have sexual sides and gynecomastia (manboobs) from estrogen increases directly resulting from Propecia's lowering my DHT.

The point is I wasn't informed; my doctor had no clue those sides even existed and certainly wouldn't have thought they'd come out of nowhere after years of taking it without sides. So again, do your own research before making the leap to finasteride. It worked for me for many years. But eventually I got pretty serious sides and now I can't take finasteride anymore. Just be informed, that's all Clandestine and the others are saying.
    Conpecia you nailed it in the head. I agree 100% with you. This is exactly to the T what happened to me and how it went when I first had discussions about Propecia with my doctor.

The first doctor I visited in college about this was a young woman who had no clue about baldness. She also had no clue about side effects and had no problem prescribing it considering I had a full head of hair and just wanted to learn more.

My second doctor which I had when I moved upon graduation was the same way. He stated it will halt my balding and when I mentioned sides he stated he had a few complain of ED. Bottom line: I knew way more about Propecia than both doctors combined. People need to conduct their own research and make an informed decision prior to taking this drug.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    He can simply ask his doctor, who can tell him .

Researching doesnt help the doctor decide whether to give him the meds or not. Combing the internet does nothing to guess whether you will have side effects or not.

Asprin has side effects. Multi Vitamins have side effects. I am certain his doctor is in a better position to help the guy out than you are.
    Get your mind right kid.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

You should always do your own research before taking the meds. I thought this was common sense? Who actually goes and consults a doctor and then listens to the doctor 100% and runs head first blindly just because the doctor "said" so.

Doctors are no more special than any other person with the internet available nowadays. Yes, they have more knowledge and yes, they have treated people, but they basically run through a checklist of what symptoms might relate to what and then address the problem which may be a hit or miss. The only thing that differs doctors from doctors is experience and honestly, even experience who always be completely accurately because people differ from people.

So **** what the docs say, they just have the power to prescribe you the drugs. And with all drugs, come risks. So if you do your research and aware of the side effects and still take it, then don't bitch about it. And listening to a doctor without research and knowing the sides effects? Don't bitch about that either, it was your own fault you didn't take the time and google the shit up.

FOR **** SAKES!

Anyways, to the OP, personally, I think you look solid with that look. And because your hairline is receding doesn't mean your vertex will thin. But you never know. For me, my hair thinned a little but I think that was from doing drugs early on. Then I notice my hairline recede and didn't do anything about it. My hair basically stayed the same for about two years and then it started to thin slowly which aws when I took propecia and now it look likes I have a full head of hair again, minus the hairline, which is still v shaped. Hoping minox will lower it a little which I started a couple weeks ago. Your crown doesn't look anywhere near thinning though because I buzzed my head too and when it was thinning, it was noticeable that the top would be a lighter shade than the sides if you were looking at it in a normal lit setting, without lights on it. It'd be noticeable, very noticeable.