+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default so whats the deal?

I admit I have little knowledge about the majority of subjects on these threads, but my biggest question is whats the deal with propecia? Does it "slow" hairloss, or "prevent" further hairloss? I understand it "may" cause a sexual side effect but, pffft, what drug doesn't. If it "prevents" further hairloss then why are there so many bald dudes considering it's been around for 20 odd years. If it slows hairloss then whats the point as hairloss is pretty damn slow as it is, and why pump another drug in to your system for a few extra years with hair?

I know some people swear by it as they think it stopped their hair loss but really who knows if it did or didn't? Maybe they were never going bald in the first place? There are loads of men with like a NW1-NW3, it's a common hairline, just like NW4-NW7 and the lucky NW0. Seems like propecia marketing can't really lose no matter what result. Some people swear by acupuncture to relieve pain yet others have proved it to be complete garbage.

I'm not trying to start an argument, was just curious. IMO anything is worth trying, if I knew about it 10 years ago I would of pumped it in to my veins.

There's no hard and fast rule. Some slow the rate of hair loss, some keep what they have (at least for a while) and some regrow some hair. It works for about two thirds of men. Results will vary.

I don't take it myself. I just can't justify spending so much money on something with such limited results.

Like the above said, there's no rule. Some people think it made their hair deteriorate faster, others say they get re-growth, other say nothing happened at all.

As for "I just can't justify spending so much money on something with such limited results. ", finasteride is insanely cheap if you go generic, and you can cut out the middle man with reputable on-line sources. Also, the results are limited for some, but that's a shot finasteride taking men are willing to take. Of the "Big 3", it's the most effective and direct and lowering DHT, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Rogaine.

The tone of your post implies that you have yet to suffer from male pattern baldness. The first experience is a dramatic drop in hair quality followed by the loss of hair. There are clinical trials which have confirmed the effectiveness of the medication. The medication is effective because science has identified that DHT is what triggers hair loss within men carrying the mpb gene...and Propecia reduces it. After 6-12 months on Propecia most men will notice improved hair quality and some regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    The tone of your post implies that you have yet to suffer from male pattern baldness.
    Quite the opposite. 31, NW6 if not 7, I just don't really care all that much. I have shaved my head since I was 19 and if I had hair I would buzz it no1 anyway. The worse part about hairloss for me is I can't always feel the stubble on top of my head when I rub it, that really bums me out cause I like the way it felt. If I don't shave for a day I can feel it but another year or two and I will be as slick as they come at 33.

As for "I just can't justify spending so much money on something with such limited results. ", finasteride is insanely cheap if you go generic, and you can cut out the middle man with reputable on-line sources.
    The trouble is finding a reliable source. I'm not entirely convinced by the reliability of even some of the sites mentioned here. I've watched enough shows about enough 'reliable' online pharmacies to be too cautious to use them. Propecia was specifically mentioned once - under testing it was found to be aspirin which was damned lucky compared to what other online shoppers got in the post!

I can only assume in my own online shopping days that I used a fake from a site many people mention here. It certainly didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hairlessM View Post
    If it "prevents" further hairloss then why are there so many bald dudes considering it's been around for 20 odd years.
    It's really very simple. The main reason is that the majority of balding men do not want to be bothered with doing anything about their hair loss, especially if there is even the slightest possibility that they may experience sexual side effects. The second reason is that many men believe there is absolutely nothing they can do about their hair loss. The are also some men who are so afraid of even the slightest possibility of any side effects at all that they chose not to do anything at all - and simply allow nature to take it's course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The are also some men who are so afraid of even the slightest possibility of any side effects at all that they chose not to do anything at all - and simply allow nature to take it's course.
    And? Let them make that decision. It's their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    The trouble is finding a reliable source. I'm not entirely convinced by the reliability of even some of the sites mentioned here. I've watched enough shows about enough 'reliable' online pharmacies to be too cautious to use them. Propecia was specifically mentioned once - under testing it was found to be aspirin which was damned lucky compared to what other online shoppers got in the post!

I can only assume in my own online shopping days that I used a fake from a site many people mention here. It certainly didn't do anything.
    I think it's perfectly fair to be critical of on-line pharmacies. I would suggest any dude who wants to go the safest route go see a physician for monitoring and for prescriptions for guaranteed legit fin.

For me, I did my homework, determined that inhouse got exclusively good reviews, and even found a few instances where guys got the pills tested and posted results for other members.

I will say that it's probably not fair to assume the fin you got was fake because it didn't do anything. A lot of guys use fin without sides or results. That's not even to mention how long it takes for "something to happen". That's not to say you didn't get fakes; I'm just saying it's a bolder assumption than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    And? Let them make that decision. It's their bodies.
    And nothing? She's pointing out that some guys would rather go bald than risk sides and some men simply don't really care about their hair loss. Nothing she said is outrageous, nor was she insinuating sides are a fairy tale. Some of you guys have it out for Tracey so bad - it's really bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    And nothing? She's pointing out that some guys would rather go bald than risk sides and some men simply don't really care about their hair loss. Nothing she said is outrageous, nor was she insinuating sides are a fairy tale. Some of you guys have it out for Tracey so bad - it's really bizarre.
    Allow me to put her comment more objectively and maybe you'll see my point:

"Some men choose not to take the drug due to the risk of adverse side effects".

Loaded phrases like "slightest risk" and "so afraid" are superfluous and have an air of criticism, in my opinion.