+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride synchronizing hair cycles

I've recently become inclined to use dutasteride. I think my hair has maintained in my nearly 11 months on finasteride, but I would go through huge sheds every few months, so I thought it impossible to maintain.. Started mid-April, shed in late June, shed in beginning of January, Shedding now at the beginning of March. It should also be mentioned that I started minox in early June.

Yesterday I came across literature on finasteride synchronizing hair cycles and thus causing the shedding to synchronize, where the follicles may not reach independence until 2 years on fin. I had a lot of DHT-affected follicles so lots of shedding. Solid amount of hair but NW6 diffuse. NW2 currently.

I'd really appreciate hearing others opinions and experiences with this. I'm on the brink of using dut but I'm not sure if I should. No sides on fin.... high libido and no problems during sex, even get morning wood nearly everyday (23 years old).

Thanks. I apologize if this is an obvious question. Everyone seems to always say that shedding should have stopped by now.

Literature:

http://www.jle.com/en/revues/m...0/01/88/FE/article.md

"Based on the predefined endpoints utilizing photographic methods (hair counts and global photographic assessment), peak efficacy was observed at one to two years of treatment with finasteride.

This observation of an apparent peaking effect is likely due, in part, to the previously-reported beneficial effects of finasteride on the hair growth cycle based on a phototrichogram study [26]. In that study, initiation of finasteride treatment was shown to increase the number of anagen-phase hairs and to increase the anagen to telogen ratio, consistent with normalization of the growth cycles of previously miniaturized hairs due to the release of hair follicles from the inhibitory effects of DHT [26]. Consistent with these results, finasteride treatment was also shown to increase the growth rate and/or thickness of hairs, based on analysis of serial hair weight measurements [27].

Because these beneficial changes in the hair growth cycle are dependent on when therapy with finasteride is initiated and occur rapidly, the affected hairs are driven to cycle in a synchronous manner.

If these hairs have somewhat similar anagen phase durations, they would enter telogen phase as the anagen (and catagen) phase ended, followed by subsequent shedding, in a partially synchronized fashion.

This would be expected to produce a gradual decline from peak hair count after a period of time equal to the average anagen phase duration. Eventually, as subsequent growth cycles recurred, these hairs would be expected to become increasingly independent, thereby losing their synchronous character as their growth cycles further normalized over time, leading to a sustained increase in hair count at a plateau above baseline, as suggested by the 5-year data presented here

Found this information on another hair loss forum, so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about.

Other thread: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...threadid=98200
    Last edited by nick9278; 03-11-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added thread from hlh

I was on fin 2.5 years or so and went through cyclical sheds it seemed, but not as often as you are describing. I have read anecdotes of others also having more than just the "initial shed" we all read about, so I think this is possibly just a normal part of treating hair loss with DHT inhibition. At least for some of us.
    I did maintain over the long term if that is any comfort, in fact I improved

For the record I am also a NW2, my MPB has been almost completely diffuse, so hopefully you will respond well like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I was on fin 2.5 years or so and went through cyclical sheds it seemed, but not as often as you are describing. I have read anecdotes of others also having more than just the "initial shed" we all read about, so I think this is possibly just a normal part of treating hair loss with DHT inhibition. At least for some of us.
    I did maintain over the long term if that is any comfort, in fact I improved

For the record I am also a NW2, my MPB has been almost completely diffuse, so hopefully you will respond well like I did.
    Thanks for the response 25 going on 65!

Well actually, there has been 2 big sheds. End of june/july.. maybe into august and early january, continuing until now. The second shed started happening during a new years vacation...FML. My hair felt really great this past fall. I actually grew out the sides and back for about 3 months, which are extremely thick.

I have tons of pictures, but my hair is much longer on top so its hard to compare, but my crown cowlick seems to have maintained, and my hairline hasn't moved. So confused how I've visually maintained with this kind of shedding. This thread seems like a probable explanation .... finasteride has synchronized my hair cycles so now I shed a lot at once. I figure my shed will slow soon and I'll thicken up a bit this spring/summer. I just wanted to see what others thought on the matter.

I will be going on dut eventually. I might at the start of april...why fall back on it when I can start with higher DHT inhibition (seems like it would be a better long term solution).

Quote Originally Posted by nick9278 View Post
    Thanks for the response 25 going on 65!

Well actually, there has been 2 big sheds. End of june/july.. maybe into august and early january, continuing until now. The second shed started happening during a new years vacation...FML. My hair felt really great this past fall. I actually grew out the sides and back for about 3 months, which are extremely thick.

I have tons of pictures, but my hair is much longer on top so its hard to compare, but my crown cowlick seems to have maintained, and my hairline hasn't moved. So confused how I've visually maintained with this kind of shedding. This thread seems like a probable explanation .... finasteride has synchronized my hair cycles so now I shed a lot at once. I figure my shed will slow soon and I'll thicken up a bit this spring/summer. I just wanted to see what others thought on the matter.

I will be going on dut eventually. I might at the start of april...why fall back on it when I can start with higher DHT inhibition (seems like it would be a better long term solution).
    The important thing is the hair on your head, so if it looks the same to you, that's a good sign. Counting hairs you see falling out is not a good way to decide how well your meds are working in my experience.

If you want to switch to dut and have no sides on fin I say go for it. I switched myself last month, and one nice thing about dut is, it is much more dose dependent than fin....so if you start losing ground again you can always increase the dose

Still shedding....bleh. I think its good though... we'll see... hope it slows down about to go on spring break vacation.

I might be tripping but can someone (likely only you 25...65, thanks a lot for the responses man!) help me out. I was looking through my pictures today and thought this might be temple regrowth... am I correct or did I just lose a bit of my hairline in between the temple and the front? My hair is much longer so the increased density makes it stand up a bit when its laying on itself.

I took the photo in the same conditions... aside from the lighting. One of the lights is out in the bathroom.

First pic - now
    Second pic - Feb 15, 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6603.jpg

Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	19896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg

Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	19897  

Tried to put two images in the sam conditions side by side. Hairline changed a bit... still not sure what happened though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-16 at 3.36.56 PM.jpg

Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	19899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6611.jpg

Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	19900  

Looks improved to me. Other possible factors are 1) you were pulling your hair/scalp back tighter in the earlier pic, 2. the light looks brighter in the earlier pic, 3. change in camera angle, 4. difference in how your temple hair is laying, 5. you could be pulling back temple hairs at a lower point on the side of your head in the newer picture, reading the appearance of a receded corner.

However this is just me trying to come up with every possible factor. Like I said it does look improved in my opinion, and if that is the case, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Looks improved to me. Other possible factors are 1) you were pulling your hair/scalp back tighter in the earlier pic, 2. the light looks brighter in the earlier pic, 3. change in camera angle, 4. difference in how your temple hair is laying, 5. you could be pulling back temple hairs at a lower point on the side of your head in the newer picture, reading the appearance of a receded corner.

However this is just me trying to come up with every possible factor. Like I said it does look improved in my opinion, and if that is the case, congratulations!
    Thanks for the quick response!

I understand all those factors make it difficult to determine whats happening, but even considering them I agree it still looks slightly improved in my opinion... temple point seems a bit less triangular. Hey, I just discovered it today so I'm psyched! As long as it hasn't gotten worse I'm okay. I was considering dropping rogaine too, which is probably the cause of regrowth so I'll have to hold onto it. Starting treatments at the same time wasn't the best decision

Gonna hold off on the dut until this shed subsides and see if I regain some density.

Appreciate the help 25.