+ Reply to Thread

Default Alcohol - hair loss prevention

DISCLAIMER:
    I understand this is extremely anecdotal. I just wanted to start a discussion.

STORY:
    I have been an alcoholic for about a decade. This means an average of 5-10 drinks a day. Last year I had a medical issue and my doctor suggested that i quit drinking.

I was able to do this. Immediately after i quit drinking i started to lose hair (in the pattern zone, not all over). I had noticed no hair loss prior. It seemed to accelerate until i started drinking again 9 months later. At that point it slowed down (but did not reverse).

After i noticed this trend, I did some research. There are a lot of articles stating that alcohol CAUSES hair loss due to stress, however, the science suggests that alcohol greatly increases estrogen levels in men (why men cannot get it up after drinking heavily).

So my question is - could excessive drinking be an accidental DHT inhibitor?
    Could my alcoholism accidentally prevented me from balding earlier?

Just wondered if anyone else found this...

I know that when I drink my head itches lot less.. but I don't know if this means anything

YES! after I quit I had an extreme amount of itching and scalp inflammation. I bought every shampoo in the book (h&s, selsum blue, tsal, tgel, nizoral) and nothing stopped the itch until i started drinking again.

It is strange that you also found this. Very odd indeed.

This explains why all bums have great hair. But, doesn't explain why am I still losing hair

Quote Originally Posted by wintergreen View Post
    YES! after I quit I had an extreme amount of itching and scalp inflammation. I bought every shampoo in the book (h&s, selsum blue, tsal, tgel, nizoral) and nothing stopped the itch until i started drinking again.

It is strange that you also found this. Very odd indeed.
    He said the opposite. I'm curious - did you feel being an alcoholic aged you much? I drink a lot am wondering what the effects are going to be.

Although I quit drinking, I started drinking at 16, the same age the MPB process started. I slowed down drinking at 21. Now I only barely drink for big boxing Pay Per Views or occasionally maybe 2-3 times a year.

In conclusion, I don't think alcohol consumption and MPB correlate in any way, at least not for me but everyone is different. If anything, in my case, maybe alcohol started the process. But I doubt it.

Honestly I think drinking increases hairloss. When I get balckout drunk, as I tend to do this about 3 days a week, I shed like a madman the next couple days as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by wintergreen View Post
    DISCLAIMER:
    I understand this is extremely anecdotal. I just wanted to start a discussion.

STORY:
    I have been an alcoholic for about a decade. This means an average of 5-10 drinks a day. Last year I had a medical issue and my doctor suggested that i quit drinking.

I was able to do this. Immediately after i quit drinking i started to lose hair (in the pattern zone, not all over). I had noticed no hair loss prior. It seemed to accelerate until i started drinking again 9 months later. At that point it slowed down (but did not reverse).

After i noticed this trend, I did some research. There are a lot of articles stating that alcohol CAUSES hair loss due to stress, however, the science suggests that alcohol greatly increases estrogen levels in men (why men cannot get it up after drinking heavily).

So my question is - could excessive drinking be an accidental DHT inhibitor?
    Could my alcoholism accidentally prevented me from balding earlier?

Just wondered if anyone else found this...
    meet a trichologist or dermatologist, tried Kaya Skin Clinic and they are good but anyways there are many preventive ways which you can try like avoiding hairline pull-on or hairstyles demand the same, avoid using hair products or hair tools which causes heat and consider scalp massage or regular oiling. all of these will pay off noticeably if you undergo treatment or diagnosis from a licensed expert to prevent hair loss and improve your hair health and a scalp.