Has anyone used finasteride for 7 to 10 years (or more)? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Has anyone used finasteride for 7 to 10 years (or more)?

1. Has it worked still after all that time?
    2. Did you notice side effects later on that weren't experienced earlier?
    3. Did you ever take breaks from finasteride usage?

I started using it around '95. It was only available as proscar at the time and by prescription, so I would would take trips to Tijuana and buy it there with out a prescritption.
    When I started I took the full 5mg daily, and continued that for several years. I've never experience any side effects that I'm aware of.
    There were a few periods where I took 1mg finasteride after propecia became available, and some periods, up to 6 months whereI wasn't able to use any. I'm still using it now, and have been pretty happy with it. I haven't maintained all the hair I started with, as it seems that I've thinned some around my hair line in the last few years, but I have maintatined most of it. Also I started with a pretty deep widows peek. Really my only regret is I didn't begin it sooner. Right now it looks
    Right now I'm taking 2.5mg daily, and 1 Avodart weeky, as per a regiment I read about from another hair doc.
    If you are thinking about starting, I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by frankJ View Post
    I started using it around '95. It was only available as proscar at the time and by prescription, so I would would take trips to Tijuana and buy it there with out a prescritption.
    When I started I took the full 5mg daily, and continued that for several years. I've never experience any side effects that I'm aware of.
    There were a few periods where I took 1mg finasteride after propecia became available, and some periods, up to 6 months whereI wasn't able to use any.
    What? You had such a long periods without finasteride? This sounds suspiciously to me. Your hair would thin very rapidly, if you stopped using finasteride for such a long time.

I've used it for over 13 years and am just now deciding to go off of it...I think (see my post). I have had some side effects over the years, but for the most part, not too much that I have noticed. I don't know whether it is due to aging or the Propecia/Finasteride. It's not like a light switch, or at least it wasn't for me, but I am noticing some things that don't seem altogether right. I am 1mg a day, and have been for the whole time. I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    What? You had such a long periods without finasteride? This sounds suspiciously to me. Your hair would thin very rapidly, if you stopped using finasteride for such a long time.
    I went off of it after about 4 years. It took about 6 months before the sheding even started, but yes it was dramatic. He may have been the same way.
    Minox only takes about 3 months. It too was pretty dramatic but propecia shed was even worse.

It seems then that people are getting off it because of side effects and not so much because it stopped working. Good to see it works for so long. I've been on it for 2 years and hope it will continue working until something better comes out.

When i went off of it for a couple of extended periods I didn't notice anything like a rapid shed. It probable just continued at the rate it would have if I'd never been on it in the first place.
    Also I've never experienced any noticeable sides.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    I went off of it after about 4 years. It took about 6 months before the sheding even started, but yes it was dramatic. He may have been the same way.
    Minox only takes about 3 months. It too was pretty dramatic but propecia shed was even worse.
    Did you ever recover from the shed? Why/how did you decide to go back on fin?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Did you ever recover from the shed? Why/how did you decide to go back on fin?
    Yes but it took a long time to recover. If you read what docs say about stopping propecia, some say nothing really happens. Maybe your loss starts up again slowing but no real changes. Others says you rapidly catch right backup where you been had you you never taken it in the first place- in my case about 4 + years. Propecia made my hairline come forward and the thinning was gone. Hairline had more of straight across look as well. When I stopped nothing did happened at the front other than it began to slowly recede again. But back was very different. Lost tons of hair in a short period of time and it was like I suddenly developed a bald spot in 6 months time. Took over a year for crown to recover and I recovered about 1/2 on minox alone.

As for as propecia go's Yes I wan't t go back on it if I can muster up the to courage to to get back on it full time Pictures do not lie and they show I am slowly advancing on minox alone I don't want to end up with my uncle's /grandfathers horse shoe and it's probaly going to happen with minox alone

Ah, I see. Sorry to hear that. Did you have problems with fin that make you apprehensive about starting again?