+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    InHousePharmacy
    EVERYONE is ignoring my problem. It is not lack of means to get finasteride,there are plenty of semi-illegal means like Inhouse Pharmacy and so on. The problem is 1. lack of GP recognition for MPB, or that it can be treated 2. GP refusing to give me the blood tests the non-NHS private dermatologist said I NEEDED, and can't get AT ALL without GP approval 3. I need GP recognition because I take loads of medications and worried about the finasteride interacting with other medication 4. I would like to see a dermatologist on the NHS, as I can't afford to see private sector doctors again, but the GP refuses to give me a referral so I can't see a dermatologist.

SUPPLY ISSUE IS *NOTHING* TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM!!!!

Basically you are worried about taking fin without doctor oversight/approval because of health concerns? I thought you were already taking it with no health problems for months?
    I do not understand why the derm would say you must have blood tests to take more fin....if I were you I would just take more fin, if that is the case. Are there other factors I am not seeing here?

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Basically you are worried about taking fin without doctor oversight/approval because of health concerns? I thought you were already taking it with no health problems for months?
    I do not understand why the derm would say you must have blood tests to take more fin....if I were you I would just take more fin, if that is the case. Are there other factors I am not seeing here?
    The private dermatologist said I NEED to get liver function blood tests every 6 to 12 months and I NEED to inform my GP of taking finasteride if I want to use it for hair loss. I CANNOT get those blood tests without my GP agreeing. I have had no health problems yet, I think, but who knows about the future, particularly as I take lots of medications?

I CAN'T AFFORD TO SEE THE PRIVATE DERMATOLOGIST AGAIN AND HE CAN'T GIVE BLOOD TESTS, HE EXPLICITLY TOLD ME TO GET BLOOD TESTS VIA MY NHS GP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Don't live in a country with shitty universal health care. If I had to see a gatekeeper/GP for anything medicine related, I'd just self-medicate or let my health deteriorate.
    He doesn't. He lives in a country with first rate health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    The private dermatologist said I NEED to get liver function blood tests every 6 to 12 months and I NEED to inform my GP of taking finasteride if I want to use it for hair loss. I CANNOT get those blood tests without my GP agreeing. I have had no health problems yet, I think, but who knows about the future, particularly as I take lots of medications?

I CAN'T AFFORD TO SEE THE PRIVATE DERMATOLOGIST AGAIN AND HE CAN'T GIVE BLOOD TESTS, HE EXPLICITLY TOLD ME TO GET BLOOD TESTS VIA MY NHS GP.
    You're boring people now. You've been told you need to see another doctor.

Inactive

Option 1: See another doctor no matter the cost. Hair is invaluable.
    Option 2: Self-medicate. You'll probably be fine.

I live in the UK and get my propecia from Boots. You can either go in store or order online. If you go down the online route (like me) you initially need to fill out their online consultation (which is very basic and extremely easy to 'pass') and once you have passed you can order 1 month's worth for £44.99.

They start you off with only 1 months worth, they say, to see how you react to it. If all is good after that 1 month and you decide to continue with the treatment, you can order up to 3 months or 6 months worth at a time, at a rate of £30 per month.

I'm not sure why people who are struggling with their GP and are intent on getting legit propecia do not go down this route more often. For me £30 a month is 100% worth it. You can probably get it at best £5-£10 cheaper per month from other 'online sources' but for the peace of mind alone I prefer paying more to buy from an obviously legit (and UK) source who usually post out the meds same or next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post

What if you just take finasteride, tell your GP, refuse to quit the drug....do you think he would still refuse blood tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    He doesn't. He lives in a country with first rate health care.
    Every country has good and bad points with healthcare. I live in the USA and our care is surprisingly crap in a lot of ways (and I have what is considered a "high end plan"), but the good thing is you can find a doc to prescribe you almost anything if you have the money....getting a dut rx for my hair was as easy as calling a few places and driving a couple towns away

Hey Guys

I am just back from the Doctors. When I booked the appointment I did not request a doc. However, when I turned up today I was happy that I got my GP who is a well respected individual.

I told him about my family Histoty and my hair loss story. Then I told him I would like to get on Propecia. He was very helpful, and went over the benefits and risks. He also said that sides were small and are treatable. Propecia is not available for free on the NHS (Scotland). The cost per month is £26.99. I have been perscribed it for a trial month and if I decide to stay with it I can countine with the med on a longer perscribtion.

He told me that propecia was first designed to treat prosterate issues, but it was found that it can also help with MPB. The dose is much lower with propecia that is why side effects are rare alleglily. So I will start it in a weeks time after I get paid. I plan to stick with it for a year and judge how beneficial it is, Any major sides and I will stop immediatly.

Dont get me wrong guys I wish that I never had to take it, I am pretty scared. However, I have winged and moaned about my hair loss so I have the product its up to me. If anything goes wrong, well at least it was my decision. I know in 5 years now I would regreat doing nothing.

Also Kirby mate I think you need to change your GP. I asked for it and got it. I feel as if they are taking the P out of you. Like many of us you will be a self proglammed expert on hair lost and you now done enough.

take care

the cheaf