+ Reply to Thread

Cool My shaving experience

I would like to hear other people's opinions on shaven heads as a response to MPB. I shaved my head in late January and so far have gotten mixed feedback. I prefer it to my balding look, which was getting pretty obvious.

Some sample comments from before shaving:
    "You look like you're going bald."
    "Nice haircut." (I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, as I had just gotten a very short haircut the day before this comment was made.)
    "So, your hair just doesn't grow there, or what?" (Referring to the recession at my temples)
    "Do you have a receding hairline?"
    "At least you don't look like a monk."

Sample comments from after shaving:
    "Is your hair going to grow back?"
    "You look like [insert bald celebrity, movie/video game character here]" (I got a bunch of these)
    "Makes sense to me."
    "You're going to sunburn on your head."
    "I like it."
    "It looks good on you."
    "You're a baldy now."
    "How long are you going to bic it for?"
    "Why are you shaving your head?"

I felt that the comments about my hair before I shaved it were overwhelmingly negative, while the comments afterward were a mixture of positive, negative, and neutral.

I do have a few things going for me. I'm tall, very fit, have a nicely shaped head, and I have strong facial features such as a good chin and dark eyebrows. Overall, I think that I probably look pretty decent with a shaven head based on the reactions of other people around me.

On the other hand, I realize that head shaving isn't for every man. On my school's swim team, only about 1/3 of the guys looked natural with a shaven head. Notables included:

A tall, skinny dude with a large forehead that looked like a criminal mastermind after shaving.

A short, skinny kid with a domed head; looked like a rat.

A dude with skin and face that somehow made him look like one of those female department store manikins with no hair.

So, I realize that head shaving isn't for everyone. It's a personal choice. I would be interested to know other people's opinions on head shaving; why they do/don't shave their head, what they think it looks like, what can make it look better or worse, things like that.

Please don't share any bald celebrities. They have no influence on my life and I'm sure that everyone on this site knows by now exactly what Jude Law and Bruce Willis look like.

Let the posting begin.

I shave my head because I'm a 21 year old NW3. Straight, that's it.

Does a Grade 1 count as a 'shaved' head? Personally I think it's the best style I can rock at the moment that or I go 0.5 guard (if it exists).

I think its a good step in dealing with MPB, certainly when it comes to treatments it makes life easier (shedding, applying topicals). But you want to know how it works in the general day to day life.

Well people at my job don't care, I mean they noticed when it happened, now they either ignore or it or don't give a f***. Some of my friends don't care, others joke, others like it, it varies really.

What I can say is, once you stick with it, it will become 'you', when you meet strangers, they will only assume this is how you look.

Look at my posts for 'Shaved Down' to see what Im like, I mean the guys here said I looked good, friends said it looks alright and parents don't care. Generally I see it as my hair, my head, my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Does a Grade 1 count as a 'shaved' head? Personally I think it's the best style I can rock at the moment that or I go 0.5 guard (if it exists).
    No it dosen't, grade 1 is a buzz cut... Big difference between buzzing your hair and shaving it with a razor

My bad. Then ignore my post completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    My bad. Then ignore my post completely.
    The way i look at it, if you have a good hairline, then buzzing your hair will look good, but if your hairline is gone then shaving might look better

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingCow View Post
    I would like to hear other people's opinions on shaven heads as a response to MPB. I shaved my head in late January and so far have gotten mixed feedback. I prefer it to my balding look, which was getting pretty obvious.

Some sample comments from before shaving:
    "You look like you're going bald."
    "Nice haircut." (I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, as I had just gotten a very short haircut the day before this comment was made.)
    "So, your hair just doesn't grow there, or what?" (Referring to the recession at my temples)
    "Do you have a receding hairline?"
    "At least you don't look like a monk."

Sample comments from after shaving:
    "Is your hair going to grow back?"
    "You look like [insert bald celebrity, movie/video game character here]" (I got a bunch of these)
    "Makes sense to me."
    "You're going to sunburn on your head."
    "I like it."
    "It looks good on you."
    "You're a baldy now."
    "How long are you going to bic it for?"
    "Why are you shaving your head?"

I felt that the comments about my hair before I shaved it were overwhelmingly negative, while the comments afterward were a mixture of positive, negative, and neutral.

I do have a few things going for me. I'm tall, very fit, have a nicely shaped head, and I have strong facial features such as a good chin and dark eyebrows. Overall, I think that I probably look pretty decent with a shaven head based on the reactions of other people around me.

On the other hand, I realize that head shaving isn't for every man. On my school's swim team, only about 1/3 of the guys looked natural with a shaven head. Notables included:

A tall, skinny dude with a large forehead that looked like a criminal mastermind after shaving.

A short, skinny kid with a domed head; looked like a rat.

A dude with skin and face that somehow made him look like one of those female department store manikins with no hair.

So, I realize that head shaving isn't for everyone. It's a personal choice. I would be interested to know other people's opinions on head shaving; why they do/don't shave their head, what they think it looks like, what can make it look better or worse, things like that.

Please don't share any bald celebrities. They have no influence on my life and I'm sure that everyone on this site knows by now exactly what Jude Law and Bruce Willis look like.

Let the posting begin.
    Chrissake where do you live? BaldAwareville?

A bic cut sounds utter crazy to me, however bald you are, i'd say never go below a buzz cut!

When i finally go for the Bruce Willis look it'll be exactly that, a buzz down and no further.

I wish you nothing but look though of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingCow;108547
    Please don't share any bald celebrities. They have no influence on my life and I'm sure that everyone on this site knows by now [B
    exactly[/B] what Jude Law and Bruce Willis look like.

Let the posting begin.
    Well I think it will take some time for you to adjust to your new look and let people get used to it before you decide which way to go. A guy I went to school with had lots of hair and looked a lot like his sister. They kinda looked like twins even though she is about 2 years older than him. He had a lot of hair and you would never thought he would have looked good bald, nor that he would even ever go bald. After school he wanted to get on TV and got small parts, but would come back to town from time to time. Not sure when he want bald but has been shaving it all off. He is still not famous but is still getting minor parts and actually seems to be getting more of them now that he is bald. Yes he only plays baddies and wants more but at least is getting work now than before. He played a drug kingpin on a recent medical drama and pulled it off really well.

Never would have though he would have pulled it off but he has. So maybe give it some time to adjust to the look. I don't think I would look good shaved but if I ever get to that point, I would probably give it a chance.