Threaded View

Cool My shaving experience

I would like to hear other people's opinions on shaven heads as a response to MPB. I shaved my head in late January and so far have gotten mixed feedback. I prefer it to my balding look, which was getting pretty obvious.

Some sample comments from before shaving:
    "You look like you're going bald."
    "Nice haircut." (I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, as I had just gotten a very short haircut the day before this comment was made.)
    "So, your hair just doesn't grow there, or what?" (Referring to the recession at my temples)
    "Do you have a receding hairline?"
    "At least you don't look like a monk."

Sample comments from after shaving:
    "Is your hair going to grow back?"
    "You look like [insert bald celebrity, movie/video game character here]" (I got a bunch of these)
    "Makes sense to me."
    "You're going to sunburn on your head."
    "I like it."
    "It looks good on you."
    "You're a baldy now."
    "How long are you going to bic it for?"
    "Why are you shaving your head?"

I felt that the comments about my hair before I shaved it were overwhelmingly negative, while the comments afterward were a mixture of positive, negative, and neutral.

I do have a few things going for me. I'm tall, very fit, have a nicely shaped head, and I have strong facial features such as a good chin and dark eyebrows. Overall, I think that I probably look pretty decent with a shaven head based on the reactions of other people around me.

On the other hand, I realize that head shaving isn't for every man. On my school's swim team, only about 1/3 of the guys looked natural with a shaven head. Notables included:

A tall, skinny dude with a large forehead that looked like a criminal mastermind after shaving.

A short, skinny kid with a domed head; looked like a rat.

A dude with skin and face that somehow made him look like one of those female department store manikins with no hair.

So, I realize that head shaving isn't for everyone. It's a personal choice. I would be interested to know other people's opinions on head shaving; why they do/don't shave their head, what they think it looks like, what can make it look better or worse, things like that.

Please don't share any bald celebrities. They have no influence on my life and I'm sure that everyone on this site knows by now exactly what Jude Law and Bruce Willis look like.

Let the posting begin.