+ Reply to Thread

Default 4 months into using Fin. Several time line updates.

Pics of using fin for the past 4 months. Added it to my regiment of rogaine which I've been on for 14 months, and taking 10,000mg of Biotin/daily. Day 1 pictures are in my album in my profile.

I copied this from another message board I post on

What's worrying me is my crown. At my last update, I was pretty happy with what fin and minox and Nizoral did. Did a good job on bringing it back. However, it seems as if that the crowned has thinned out again. I'm praying that this thinning out is due to my negligence of not taking fin everyday, not applying minox everyday, and having a poor diet. I took some pictures just prior to making this post and am going to upload them.

There will be two pictures. The first is that same angle from a previous update (1/1/13 or from 1/13/13), and the 2nd picture is the one I took today. In addition, hair hasn't been cut since the 1/13/13. Used Mom's phone, because mine broke - explains pink phone. No flash used in any of the pictures.

I think in the next few months you should start seeing progress.

The first three-four months or so the hair will probablyl do a lot of shedding then go into a rest cycle (telogen phase) then after a few weeks it'll restart based on what I've read. Judging by the pictures it doesn't look like you've shed too much hair.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

I am not a doctor just an HT veteran, if I were you I would stay on Fin for a year, you might regain your entire crown -I did, my crown was thinning 50% less than you, but today it's not visible due to use of Fin, I am still on Proscar.

Depending on your family history, I would go for a FUE HT to avoid the smiley scar in the back. You would look great with some 1800-2100 grafts, it would give you a mature NW 1.5 hair line.

You can see my results in the link below:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7446

I asked for a mature hair line and needed 2400-2500, and my loss in front was worse than yours.

Take your time and keep researching....

Hi JJacobs152,

I'd go along with what z06guy and Still-Researching are saying: wait at least a year to get the "full result" from finasteride before looking at surgery.

If you do decide on surgery, FUE would be a good option if you can either afford the cost in USA or are prepared to travel to Europe.

Assuming you can maintain your crown, an FUE procedure of 2500 would work wonders, but I'd not risk going for a NW1.

Have some consultations with doctors and see what their professional opinions are.

Good luck!

Your forelock appeara to be pretty solid. Hopefully the meds will keep you sorted for a long time. If you are considering an HT (and I'm not sure if you are) then around 2500 grafts should do you well.

The thinning you noticed at your crown could be a normal shed of the sort that can be triggered by the medications. It should be temporary.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    I am not a doctor just an HT veteran, if I were you I would stay on Fin for a year, you might regain your entire crown -I did, my crown was thinning 50% less than you, but today it's not visible due to use of Fin, I am still on Proscar.
    So you're saying that you had a weakened, visibly balding crown, and fin filled it in? How long had you had crown thinning before you started finasteride?

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

My loss was not as visible as Jjacobs, probably 50% less thinning. Had been thinning more than usual for about 6-12 months, and after reading on this site I took the plunge - and after some 3-4 months on FIN my crown and mid scalp improved quite visible and after 6-8 months it was almost back to normal.

It did not however help my thinning hairline at all...

Thanks. My crown is still bare and see-through unfortunately after longer than that on fin, guess my hair was too far gone when I started.