+ Reply to Thread

Default First time poster... :)

Hi all,

I just figured that I'd make my first post here and introduce myself. I've been a listener of the radio show(s) for some months now and have been a lurker here on the forums so as to benefit from the community and, in particular, the Cutting Edge/Future Treatments forum.

I'm 30, male and have been suffering hair loss for abooout... two to three years, I guess. I've long, shoulder-length hair and, at the moment, I'm NW3 on the scale with some thinning on the crown. I've recently noticed a little more loss in the front with my forelock becoming quite a bit thinner.

I don't use any treatments at the moment for various reasons; one of them being cost (I simply don't have any spare money for treatment) and another being potential side effects, etc.

Anyway, I'll end it there so as to keep my introduction brief. I hope that all's well with you all and perhaps we'll speak some time soon...?

All the best,

KJ.

Hi KJ1982,

Congrats on your first post. Curious if you've learned anything interesting about cutting edge treatments? Finasteride isn't for me, so I'm keeping my ears to the ground about alternatives on the horizon.

Hope you stick around.

Hi chrisis! Thanks for the welcome!

I've decided against finasteride, at least for the moment, due to what I've seen and heard about it. I've spent a long time looking at the cases both for and against the drug and have decided that it's not something I would like to consider at this time. I appreciate that few people experience serious side effects but I'm simply not interested in the drug and, like you, would rather consider other options.

So far as the Cutting Edge/Future Treatments are concerned, I'm watching with interest both Aderans and Histogen and am eager to see the results of their efforts. Also, whilst there's been nothing new with regards to Dr. Lauster's work I am always keeping an eye open for any more news about his progress.

Hopefully we should have some news soon as to how things are progressing. It can be a touch frustrating when things get delayed and such but, well... Life rarely runs smoothly, right?

KJ.

Yeah it seems new treatments take a long time to be developed and tested. I've just had an FUE hair transplant and feel I'm gambling on something coming out within the next 5-10 years, or I will end up back in surgery. According to my doc I'd just need another 600 grafts (on top of 2600 already) if I was to hit Norwood 4 so that's reassuring.

I saw that you'd had an FUE transplant a short while ago (last week, perhaps?) here on the forums; your profile picture is yourself with the doctor who performed the surgery, correct? I trust that all went well?

Truth be told, I'm hoping that a new treatment is out relatively shortly too; as I mentioned earlier, whilst my hair loss isn't aggressive at this stage it is gradually worsening. Depending on what happens, I may consider a concealer such as Toppik but hopefully something will show results soon and, if not regrow hair, at least halt further loss.

Still, this is science that we're talking about and things are prone to change or, even worse, delays...

KJ.