+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Normal DHT levels and still losing hair - 22 years old.

Hi, im 22 and i had my DHT levels tested
    my dht levels were 1.08 nmol/L (312 pg/ml) with the reference range being 0.323 - 1.637 im 22 years old and it seems like i have high sensitivity to dht since my levels were within the normal range?

im losing hair at a pretty fast pace too. Im at like norwood 3 with thinning all over on top of my hair and at the crown. I also seem to have a bald spot right at the centre of my hairline above my forehead where im losing hair from too.
    i've been using rogaine foam once a day for 6 months. And recently started keratene capsules that lower DHT. been on them once a day for 18 days atm. But isit normal to have normal DHT levels and still lose hair? Or would there be an another cause?

A little family history, my dad is bald, and my uncles from my mothers side are bald too. so it seems to run in the family.

thanks for ur time.

Men with MPB do not necessarily have high DHT......they just have follicles sensitive to the hormone

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Men with MPB do not necessarily have high DHT......they just have follicles sensitive to the hormone
    This. I actually believe it has been proven that bald men have lower T/DHT on average.

Quote Originally Posted by everest13 View Post
    Hi, im 22 and i had my DHT levels tested
    my dht levels were 1.08 nmol/L (312 pg/ml) with the reference range being 0.323 - 1.637 im 22 years old and it seems like i have high sensitivity to dht since my levels were within the normal range?

im losing hair at a pretty fast pace too. Im at like norwood 3 with thinning all over on top of my hair and at the crown. I also seem to have a bald spot right at the centre of my hairline above my forehead where im losing hair from too.
    i've been using rogaine foam once a day for 6 months. And recently started keratene capsules that lower DHT. been on them once a day for 18 days atm. But isit normal to have normal DHT levels and still lose hair? Or would there be an another cause?

A little family history, my dad is bald, and my uncles from my mothers side are bald too. so it seems to run in the family.

thanks for ur time.
    Yeah, you just inherited sensitive follicles like the rest of us. Especially given your family background, it shouldn't have been a surprise (although it creeps up on most of us).

So in order to halt my MPB, i would need to lower my DHT levels significantly below what is deemed the normal range?

how and where do you get you DHT levels tested?

Quote Originally Posted by everest13 View Post
    So in order to halt my MPB, i would need to lower my DHT levels significantly below what is deemed the normal range?
    That's the objective of two members of "The Big 3", ketocarazole and finasteride. Keto- is used to wash DHT from your scalp, while finasteride restricts DHT production internally in a more direct method. For that reason, finasteride has considerably more concerning potential side effects but is more effective in preventing/slowing hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by darelg View Post
    how and where do you get you DHT levels tested?
    A doctor. Depending where you live and the doctor you're seeing, you'll have varying levels of difficulty getting blood work authorized with something considered purely cosmetic by the medical community, MPB.

If I didn't have a doctor willing to give me the blood work I wanted before starting fin, I would probably just fabricate a story/symptoms to make them think I needed blood work. That's just me though.

Hey welcome to the forum.

I have male pattern baldness too. I am a type 3 A . I have thinning at the front but the crown is solid.

I am now taking 5mg generic finasteride . I chop each pill into 4 and take 1.25mg everyday.

So far no side effects but its only been a month so I haven't noticed any regrowth.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    That's the objective of two members of "The Big 3", ketocarazole and finasteride. Keto- is used to wash DHT from your scalp, while finasteride restricts DHT production internally in a more direct method. For that reason, finasteride has considerably more concerning potential side effects but is more effective in preventing/slowing hair loss.

Currently im taking keratene capsules which are also DHT inhibitors. Im just curious as to how to tell if you're going through a shed and not just losing hair?

No way to know really. How you would tell is 12 months later whether or not your hair has improved, or at least stopped deterring. I don't know much about taking keratene capsules. Frankly, for my hairloss I'm only messing with the big guns.