+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up
    Like I said, I was just relaying information I was told from my doctor and have obviously assumed some things I shouldn't have, but the main point stands.

He never actually said that DHT doesn't effect sex drive, rather that the main problem with finasteride was the damage to hormone receptors.

I don't believe inhibiting DHT can have any long term effects. It just doesn't make any sense why it would and there is no proof of it.

No it hasn't been FDA approved to treat hair loss. But neither have various things including Dustasteride.

IMO some of these things get a little political, but I feel there is enough evidence out there to give it a try. Some studies but none that you would trust with your life.

Some people claim that it causes increased shedding as well.
    I can appreciate your post. Though DHT plays a lot more roles in your body than "Sex Drive", Increasing prostate size and Baldness. It helps with the maintenance of penile tissue, keep the size in check.

Actions of finasteride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fin-neurosteroids.jpg

Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	19618  

sorry but the original post does not make sense to me.

The active ingredient finasteride lowers DHT. That is simply what it does. Now, if the consequence of lowering DHT is that in 'some cases it causes our hormonal receptors to become less sensitive'...that reduced sensitivity is still triggered by the lowering of DHT. So, you can argue that the actual cause of side effects is not lowered DHT (reduced sensitivity is) but it does get triggered by the process of lowering DHT.

It is like saying that 'DHT does not cause MPB' (it does not). No one knows why one is predisposed to balding and another isn't. But in those that are we know that DHT is what actually kills the hair.

that would also imply that taking Saw Palmetto can have negative side effects but much less likely due to the fact that it does not significantly lower DHT.

I don't know if i'm missing the point here, but I know reducing DHT will effect the body..it definitely has a reaction by lowering it..why do you think your hair loss stops...

DHT

-Male pattern Baldness
    -Fertility
    -Prostate size & function
    -Male Libido
    -Keeps estrogen in balance
    -Nitric Oxide
    -Maintenance of gentile structure and size

Let me know how Saw Palmetto goes. Have you had any improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    sorry but the original post does not make sense to me.

The active ingredient finasteride lowers DHT. That is simply what it does. Now, if the consequence of lowering DHT is that in 'some cases it causes our hormonal receptors to become less sensitive'...that reduced sensitivity is still triggered by the lowering of DHT. So, you can argue that the actual cause of side effects is not lowered DHT (reduced sensitivity is) but it does get triggered by the process of lowering DHT.

It is like saying that 'DHT does not cause MPB' (it does not). No one knows why one is predisposed to balding and another isn't. But in those that are we know that DHT is what actually kills the hair.

that would also imply that taking Saw Palmetto can have negative side effects but much less likely due to the fact that it does not significantly lower DHT.
    It was explained to me implicitly as though the receptor damage is an unrelated side effect of finasteride, without low DHT being responsible for the receptor damage.

Again, I'm staying humble to the fact that I'm a layman interpreting information from someone else and I could have misunderstood some things.

This particular doctor has exceedingly high qualifications in the subject and gives lectures to general practitioners.
    He has travelled to europe for lectures purely to hear about new findings on this drug.
    Also prescribes it to some of his older patients with hair loss.

So anything academically wrong that I've said is probably just my misinterpretation.

forget about whether one is a layman of not...does it make common sense to you?

the suggestion is that in addition to lowering DHT finasteride also potentially 'damages receptors' which is caused by the synthetic make up of the drug but a herbal version (Saw Palmetto) does not have that particular side?

seems like a stretch to me and I'm just a layman. It makes perfect sense to me that the lowering of DHT is what causes sides in some men (not all of course) and also makes sense that some men can potentially experience those sides on Saw.

I would conclude that the lowering of DHT is what causes potential sides in some men.

btw, my intent is simply ensure that men on here make informed decisions either way and not to make a point/statement of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    forget about whether one is a layman of not...does it make common sense to you?

the suggestion is that in addition to lowering DHT finasteride also potentially 'damages receptors' which is caused by the synthetic make up of the drug but a herbal version (Saw Palmetto) does not have that particular side?

seems like a stretch to me and I'm just a layman. It makes perfect sense to me that the lowering of DHT is what causes sides in some men (not all of course) and also makes sense that some men can potentially experience those sides on Saw.

I would conclude that the lowering of DHT is what causes potential sides in some men.

btw, my intent is simply ensure that men on here make informed decisions either way and not to make a point/statement of any kind.
    Saw Palmetto isn't a "herbal version" of finasteride. It's completely unrelated, just happens to have one common effect (inhibiting DHT).
    Just because two treatments have one thing in common, doesn't mean they will have another.

I think the mechanism by which Finasteride lowers DHT is different to how Saw Palmetto does it.
    Therefore there is no reason why both should damage receptors if one does.