+ Reply to Thread

Default Now or next year?

Hi first post from Mr. 4000

Hey I'm looking to get something done this year or next, here's the deal

I wanted to go to Wong, one and done, I don't want to do 2 sessions (most docs would take 2 sessions), just one. Rule those docs out. Even some talented ones that I like.

I will need crown work and a little hairline work too, but the crown is the part that needs the most attention.

Wong is booked and won't work for this summer, do I wait or is their another Doc up to Wongs standards that can do a 4000 graft session. I want it done between July 17th to August 2nd, no later, no earlier. Or I will do it net year.

I say 4000 because thats my name. no really thats what I think I will need. I'm a NW3, but again the crown needs the work. I don't see a ton of great crown work out there. I don't want to see an once of scalp.

Do I find another Doc or wait until next summer and get Wong?

Any help would be great, hello to all. Thanks for listening to my BS.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree that Dr. Wong does excellent work. There are several other hair transplant doctors that do similar large sessions. Do you know how many sq. cm of scalp you want grafts placed in? This information will help determine how many follicular units per sq. cm are needed. Are you taking Propecia to try and slow down or stop the hair loss? If you already have it in your mind that you are only going to be happy going to Vancouver for your procedure, then you have really already answered your question.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Mr. 4000--- I guess the only issue I have with the "one and done" idea is that so few patients actually accomplish all their goals in only 1 HT.

If is a simply a matter of doing 4000 grafts to set you up, that is certainly no problem--- I might even be able to accommodate your surgical dates---but if you spend any length of time online, you will find that even patients who do 4-5K of grafts get hair greed---they have a great result, spend a few months loving their new look and then Bam! they start calling to add density or tweek this or that...perfectly normal.

My suggestion is if you 100% want Dr. Wong, then wait---waiting to get a HT is NEVER a mistake.

If you post some pics I could get a better idea of your situation---given your age, it is likely we could be more aggressive with you, but until we see pics it will be impossible to tell.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I agree that Dr. Wong does excellent work. There are several other hair transplant doctors that do similar large sessions. Do you know how many sq. cm of scalp you want grafts placed in? This information will help determine how many follicular units per sq. cm are needed. Are you taking Propecia to try and slow down or stop the hair loss? If you already have it in your mind that you are only going to be happy going to Vancouver for your procedure, then you have really already answered your question.
    Hi Dr. Charles

Thanks for the reply

I would be sold on Vancouver but the timing isn't right for my schedule, so I'm currently asking around to see if there is anything that is close to what Wong can do. I rather not travel too far but for something like this I don't think that is a priority. From my research, it seems that he is as close to a slam dunk as you can get, but he is booked (I can't book Wong until next Summer). To be honest the research process has been overwhelming, I don't even know what the hell I'm reading anymore.

I'm not taking Propecia, I have in the past and had negative sides, like breast swelling and shedding as well. I have taken everything with no success. I was told to do propecia every other, but the sides still worry me. I wish it worked for me.

I don't know how many Sq Cm? I was thinking around 96.774??? not including hairline work, but Im not that good at the math part. Does that sound way off? Its a thinning softball type size. I just went by some of the online consults, from various Docs. They looked at pictures, but who knows if that is a good way, it doesn't seem like it. How do they know what size dome you have?

I have size 7 dome, which is pretty small for most adults.

Right now I'm on the fence weather I'm doing this this month or next year. To me it doesn't seem like a good position to be in. I want to get the process moving, but I also want a great doctor that can do large sessions.

Thanks again Dr. Charles any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by the B spot View Post
    Mr. 4000--- I guess the only issue I have with the "one and done" idea is that so few patients actually accomplish all their goals in only 1 HT.

If is a simply a matter of doing 4000 grafts to set you up, that is certainly no problem--- I might even be able to accommodate your surgical dates---but if you spend any length of time online, you will find that even patients who do 4-5K of grafts get hair greed---they have a great result, spend a few months loving their new look and then Bam! they start calling to add density or tweek this or that...perfectly normal.

My suggestion is if you 100% want Dr. Wong, then wait---waiting to get a HT is NEVER a mistake.

If you post some pics I could get a better idea of your situation---given your age, it is likely we could be more aggressive with you, but until we see pics it will be impossible to tell.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Thanks Bspot,

People tend to want perfect but can't define it either, they end up chasing their tail.

I will send you pictures, just tell me where to send them.

Thanks Jason

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Send them to jason@shapiromedical.com ---take me a day or so to get back to you after having the doctor look at them and give a recommendation.

Talk to you soon,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by the B spot View Post
    Send them to jason@shapiromedical.com ---take me a day or so to get back to you after having the doctor look at them and give a recommendation.

Talk to you soon,
    Jason
    Done..................

One day I'm 100% certain, the next I say to myself what the hell am I thinking.

Strip scar? Do I really want to go down that road?

Shock loss while working in front of a ton of people?

Length of hair after surgery? I'm a buzzer type on the sides and back.

I think I'm going crazy......but I'm enjoying the drama of trying to make this decision.......its tough.

I have talk to some great doc, at least I think so, or hope so.

Even this forum is tough because you don't know who is paid to type and who isn't.

Pictures on the net??? Before and after, I have seen some where the peraon has different color hair in them, possible yes! but you think the patient and the doc would at least say hey let's wait on the after before you go grey.

This is a fd up position to be in, I have to decided this weekend if I'm doing this or not.

Or wait another year......

are there any psychologist on this board, maybe I just need one of those! lol

Gesus!!!!

These are all good points. Maybe you're not ready to have a hair transplant yet.