+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    It's a matter of semantics -

Tracy is right, the mature hairline is well documented in medical journals going back to at least 1960. I cited Hamliton before..he said something like 94% of white males develop this hairline

To those that say it is the start of mpb, well one journal article gave stats that said that slightly over 85% of men will go on to mpb. So only about 14% stay at the mature level, or never lose any hair at all. That study was for white males I believe.

For me personally:
    I got the mature hairline in my mid/late teens and stayed that way till my mid 30's when my mpb started up.
    Then telling people they just have a mature hairline, is pointless.

That is more then 2/3rd of men.

Hence, giving them misinformation like that means, they will watch themselves receed.

Jack.

You do NOT have male pattern baldness. This does not mean you wont develop it but if your hairline stays like that until you are 30 , then you are going to be the lucky small percentage of men who get to enjoy a full head of hair for life

A mature hairline means the baby hairs fell out at around 19 to 21 . The small minature hairs. But if you start getting the cul de sac 'U' shaped recede at the temples then you have male pattern baldness. Period.

At that point its just a matter of how slowly the hair folicles burn out. Depends from person to person.

Hope this helps

Thanks Drybone.

It does get really confusing for me about whether or not this hairline is perfectly normal or something to worry about at this time, as if I have any early signs I'd want to do something about it sooner rather than later. How can you tell if it turns into the dreaded 'U' shape though?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Then telling people they just have a mature hairline, is pointless.
    No it's not - it better to be more technically correct.

That is more then 2/3rd of men.

Hence, giving them misinformation like that means, they will watch themselves receed.
    Misinformation is telling them that slight recession , a mature hairline, or what ever you wish to call it during/after puberty is not normal. For white males, it is like 94-99% depending on who stats you believe.

A better approach, would be to tell them that it is in fact normal, but they should monitor periodically to see if it progresses. And tell them that most of the time (~85%) it will at some point. That could be in the near future, or not for many years. My dad did not get any mpb till right around age 70. And his dad died with a thick head of hair with just a mature hairline like what was posted above (don't know about crown area though so can't say).

I just had the bad luck of getting it from my mothers side, where all the men for the past 3-4 generations have developed the same pattern at the same time. I am developing the same pattern as her brother only meds have slowed it down.

So I think you should be technically accurate, but also honest and tell them that it will most likely go into mpb sooner or later .

I am not trying to be ambiguous- just technically accurate. Now I am very ambiguous talking about propecia because I have very mixed feelings about it.

.compare yourself with the others at your age,if your haorline look similar to others dont worry

Quote Originally Posted by jackroylance View Post
    Thanks Drybone.

It does get really confusing for me about whether or not this hairline is perfectly normal or something to worry about at this time, as if I have any early signs I'd want to do something about it sooner rather than later. How can you tell if it turns into the dreaded 'U' shape though?
    Your hairline goes straight across. This is good. Looks great

The middle will stay the same, but the left and right side starts to move backwards. That then is the beginnings of a receding hairline.

If this happens to you, go to your doctor or dermatologist and ask for their professional opinion. You still may not have male pattern baldness but odds are that you would. You can then arrest its progression with various medications.

Hope this helps

Well realistically by various medications really that could be narrowed down to just propecia since nothing else really works. My problem with propecia is that generally your going to go bald even with it slowly over the years so then your taking all those unknown risks plus the expense. Is it worth it? I am not sure, but I think in CB 03 01 if it comes out could be able to keep your hair for decades so I think a preventative cure is possible shortly. Regrowing vast amounts of hair is another story but I think that will for sure happen in 10 - 20 years.
    I think the exact CM measurement of a mature hair line verses MPB is a grey area that different hair doctors would give you slightly different measurements. Just because it was documented a long time ago does not mean its right or accurate. Experts used to think the world was flat and they documented it but newer knowledge lead them to updated opinions.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Well realistically by various medications really that could be narrowed down to just propecia since nothing else really works. My problem with propecia is that generally your going to go bald even with it slowly over the years so then your taking all those unknown risks plus the expense. Is it worth it? I am not sure, but I think in CB 03 01 if it comes out could be able to keep your hair for decades so I think a preventative cure is possible shortly. Regrowing vast amounts of hair is another story but I think that will for sure happen in 10 - 20 years.
    I think the exact CM measurement of a mature hair line verses MPB is a grey area that different hair doctors would give you slightly different measurements. Just because it was documented a long time ago does not mean its right or accurate. Experts used to think the world was flat and they documented it but newer knowledge lead them to updated opinions.
    Pretty sure you can maintain forever with duta and RU. As long as you're a responder, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I am 46 years old. I had the same attitude, even after I got my hair transplant. Why bother take FIN if you are just going to lose it eventually ? Might as well get DHT resistant hair put in right? Save all the hassle ?

One day it might be possible, but I can tell you doctors cannot come close to replacing what you already have in terms of density. Keeping what you have is far easier than transplanting it back.

So I have gone on FIN. Apparently you lose hair until age 65 due to MPB so I only have to be on it 19 years lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Stop spreading shit that IS. NOT. TRUE.

Have you read -ANY- ****ing study on this? No. No you haven't. Because this has been studied for periods of over 10, 15 years and each time it comes back the same - Finasteride retains its effectiveness and the vast majority do not lose further ground.
    Exactly- You never know what treatments will do unless you give them a try and a good years worth at that . This pic was taken this morning. This is 31+ years worth of mpb progression. I had just turned 17 when I was sure something was happening. Maybe closer to 34 years as a woman (my mothers stylistic) who cut my one day said it was starting at my cowlick right as I was starting puberty.

There were no treatment in the early days, but I went on minox as soon as It went OTC, mostly as a preventive measure. A couple of years later, shortly after turning 36, my crown started to suddenly and rapidly started to thin out. I increased minoxidil usage and later added propecia.

Propecia worked better than I expected. Crown started filling in and hairline came forward. So the stuff really works if you give it a chance. Unfortunately i got sides about 4 year later and had to stop. I was able to keep 50-60% of what propecia had given me in the back. And front just slowly began to creep back again.

My dilemma and what is so frustrating to me is this:
    Minox alone is slowing things down but pictures show I am still gradually progressing. So do I risk propeci again knowing that I will most likely keep my hair for a long time or stay on minox only knowing I will slowly become horseshoed like my uncle/grandfather whose pattern I follow very closely?

I know propecia really works (for me anyway)_so it is frustrating trying to decide what to do. Some guys are getting 15 years without progression and I think I would have the same results just scared of getting sides again.

So these guys that don't think propecia works..yes it does,,it just the sides you have to worry about. Not sure what NW I am but hair does look much fuller when dry FWI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg

Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	19654