+ Reply to Thread

Default 1 month pimples and stubborn grafts

I've been getting pimples (well, just two) since a month out from my transplant procedure. They have largely cleared up and the pinkness is beginning to disappear (I'm on day 45) and am just wondering if the pimples are a sign of early growth or something else. I also have a few hairs still hanging around but I can't tell if they have grown or not as the transplant was onto the back of my head and obviously I don't have eyes on the back of my head. My roommate claims they've been growing but he said these were the hairs along the edges of the scar that I had the hairs transplanted into (the recipient area). This could either mean merely returning donor hair or continual growth of hair grafts but honestly I can't tell because as I said before I can hardly tell what's going on back there without somebody else looking at it. I'm HOPING it is early growth because my biggest worry is that my scar doesn't have sufficient blood supply for the hair grafts, a fact that my surgeon brought up a few times both pre-op and post-op. Anyway, I'd just like to know what's up with these early pimples and stubborn grafts that haven't fallen out yet. Thanks.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Londinium View Post
    I've been getting pimples (well, just two) since a month out from my transplant procedure. They have largely cleared up and the pinkness is beginning to disappear (I'm on day 45) and am just wondering if the pimples are a sign of early growth or something else. I also have a few hairs still hanging around but I can't tell if they have grown or not as the transplant was onto the back of my head and obviously I don't have eyes on the back of my head. My roommate claims they've been growing but he said these were the hairs along the edges of the scar that I had the hairs transplanted into (the recipient area). This could either mean merely returning donor hair or continual growth of hair grafts but honestly I can't tell because as I said before I can hardly tell what's going on back there without somebody else looking at it. I'm HOPING it is early growth because my biggest worry is that my scar doesn't have sufficient blood supply for the hair grafts, a fact that my surgeon brought up a few times both pre-op and post-op. Anyway, I'd just like to know what's up with these early pimples and stubborn grafts that haven't fallen out yet. Thanks.
    I have had many hair transplant surgeries. Pimples are considered normal. I work at Dr. Cole's office. 19 days ago, I had 500 beard hairs grafted into thin areas on the top of my head. I tend to get mildly anxious about minor things related to the healing process and remind myself that anxiety is a complete waste of energy. Eat good food, don't smoke cigarettes, at the appropriate post-op time do 10-20 pushups every half hour if you are concerned about circulation. The crazy thing is, many people who do all of the wrong things get great hair growth. A sad example would be the homeless alcoholic sitting in an alley in poor health with a magnificent full head of hair.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Yesterday, our patient in the surgery room expressed an interest in using beard hair. Our surgery technician who spoke with him, asked me to come downstairs and show him my donor area. Unfortunately my donor area 19 days after surgery was not looking its best due to three pimples. I showed him the beard donor area anyway. The important thing was, he couldn't see any evidence of extraction sites. He went ahead and added beard hair to improve the density in his crown area. Scalp hair is of course preferred, but beard hair has proven to be a reliable alternative. The thick caliber of beard hair generally provides excellent coverage and the area under the chin and jaw heals remarkably well for most men.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

Pimples are quite common and could be a sign of new growth, ingrowing hairs or can happen if patients are always touching their heads to feel the stubble, maybe this is you?

Keep the area clean and you can squeeze any nasty pimples you do get.

Most of the grafts fall around 3-4 weeks but some will stay and grow for longer, if the grafts were placed in your crown it is unlikely for you to tell whether you have some early growth, your existing hair is just growing back or indeed that your new grafts are growing.

Try to relax about it all, if you are worried you should contact your clinic and ask their advice.

Londinium,

No doubt some of the grafts are growing, and probably most of them are retreating into the resting phase. The ones that go telogen rest for approximately 3-4 months before beginning a new growth cycle.

Everything sounds perfectly normal.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin