+ Reply to Thread

Default Where is the threshold for the shock loss of minoxidil-dependent hair?

I would like to find an answer to this question, hoping that someone has already unvoluntarily "mapped" this problem.

Two years ago I began experimenting with 15% minoxidil in order to regrow some hair in my temples. Maybe the biggest mistake of my life! Before this fatal decision, I had lived comfortably on 2-5% minoxidil for 14 years with an unchanged Norwood 1.5 hairline.

The application of 15% minoxidil ED regrew only few hairs, and caused a telogen effluvium. Being terrified by this, after 6 months I lowered my dose to 10% EOD, and I noticed no hair loss after this switch. After additional 7 months (in February 2012), I realized that 10% minoxidil does nothing, and stopped using it. I thought that a return to 5% minoxidil would constitute no problem. What a mistake! Mere 4 months later (in June 2012), my hair was virtually annihilated everywhere, where I had applied the stuff. And after 8 months, it is clear that it won't regrow back. Apparently, it was a loss of hair that had become dependent on 10% minoxidil in the meantime.

This loss terrified me so much that in April 2012, I began to mix my 5% Kirkland minoxidil with high-strength minoxidil to achieve a 6% concentration. In June 2012, I added finasteride and experienced quite a nice regrowth during the first 2-3 months. However, in November 2012 it stopped and I started to experience very aggressive shedding in my temples. Being again scared, I increased the minoxidil dosage to 6.2-6.3%. The shedding hasn't stopped even after 4 months and it is very depressing. Nevertheless, I must hope that it is a shed induced by finasteride, because it is unlikely that both finasteride and minoxidil would stop working at the same time. But to feel at least a bit safer, two weeks ago I added dutasteride, 0.5 mg every four days.

The problem is that the high-strength minoxidils are pretty unstable, they often arrive crystallized and the percentage of minoxidil in the mixture may thus fluctuate. I estimate that it may vary at least between 5.9-6.3%. (I tested them in a laboratory.) It is a big burden for me. I do hope that such fluctuations are not enough to cause a new shock loss, but since this high percentage is useless anyway, I would like to return back to 5% minoxidil. But I don't know, if it is possible without a noticeable hair loss. Maybe the difference is so small that I wouldn't notice anything, even if I switched directly from 6.3% to 5%. The fact that I noticed nothing after the switch from 15% ED to 10% EOD suggests that lowering the dosage by one-third doesn't reach the critical threshold for a shock loss. But maybe the hairs were not enough dependent on the 15% strength yet. I don't know. Therefore, I am asking the visitors of this forum. I know that a plenty of guys experienced problems after switching from 15% or 10% to 5%, but where is actually the point, when the problems start?

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    I would like to find an answer to this question, hoping that someone has already unvoluntarily "mapped" this problem.

Two years ago I began experimenting with 15% minoxidil in order to regrow some hair in my temples. Maybe the biggest mistake of my life! Before this fatal decision, I had lived comfortably on 2-5% minoxidil for 14 years with an unchanged Norwood 1.5 hairline.

The application of 15% minoxidil ED regrew only few hairs, and caused a telogen effluvium. Being terrified by this, after 6 months I lowered my dose to 10% EOD, and I noticed no hair loss after this switch. After additional 7 months (in February 2012), I realized that 10% minoxidil does nothing, and stopped using it. I thought that a return to 5% minoxidil would constitute no problem. What a mistake! Mere 4 months later (in June 2012), my hair was virtually annihilated everywhere, where I had applied the stuff. And after 8 months, it is clear that it won't regrow back. Apparently, it was a loss of hair that had become dependent on 10% minoxidil in the meantime.

This loss terrified me so much that in April 2012, I began to mix my 5% Kirkland minoxidil with high-strength minoxidil to achieve a 6% concentration. In June 2012, I added finasteride and experienced quite a nice regrowth during the first 2-3 months. However, in November 2012 it stopped and I started to experience very aggressive shedding in my temples. Being again scared, I increased the minoxidil dosage to 6.2-6.3%. The shedding hasn't stopped even after 4 months and it is very depressing. Nevertheless, I must hope that it is a shed induced by finasteride, because it is unlikely that both finasteride and minoxidil would stop working at the same time. But to feel at least a bit safer, two weeks ago I added dutasteride, 0.5 mg every four days.

The problem is that the high-strength minoxidils are pretty unstable, they often arrive crystallized and the percentage of minoxidil in the mixture may thus fluctuate. I estimate that it may vary at least between 5.9-6.3%. (I tested them in a laboratory.) It is a big burden for me. I do hope that such fluctuations are not enough to cause a new shock loss, but since this high percentage is useless anyway, I would like to return back to 5% minoxidil. But I don't know, if it is possible without a noticeable hair loss. Maybe the difference is so small that I wouldn't notice anything, even if I switched directly from 6.3% to 5%. The fact that I noticed nothing after the switch from 15% ED to 10% EOD suggests that lowering the dosage by one-third doesn't reach the critical threshold for a shock loss. But maybe the hairs were not enough dependent on the 15% strength yet. I don't know. Therefore, I am asking the visitors of this forum. I know that a plenty of guys experienced problems after switching from 15% or 10% to 5%, but where is actually the point, when the problems start?
    172 views and no people with the experience of shedding after minoxidil? It's hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    172 views and no people with the experience of shedding after minoxidil? It's hard to believe.
    Frankly, I think most people open the thread, see how much you wrote, and decide they'd rather not invest their time. I'm not sure that there's a quantifiable threshold for what you're asking; I'm really not sure how you would test that, or that researchers would find it an objective worth their energy.

Ditto BigThinker's comment. You made a really long, convoluted post that culminated in a pretty unclear question. I understand the tendency to use the forum like a journal, but when you're soliciting input, concision and clarity is a virtue.

Re-reading the post, I'm still having a bit of trouble determining exactly what you're asking.

That being said, it's hard to believe that switching from 6.xx% to 5% would cause much difference; it's such a minute variation. I think that, given your experience with minoxidil, you simply need to pick one strength and stick with it for the long haul. Given that 5% is the easiest to obtain and comes ready to apply with no mixing, I'd think that would be the easiest and most sustainable route.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    That being said, it's hard to believe that switching from 6.xx% to 5% would cause much difference; it's such a minute variation. I think that, given your experience with minoxidil, you simply need to pick one strength and stick with it for the long haul. Given that 5% is the easiest to obtain and comes ready to apply with no mixing, I'd think that would be the easiest and most sustainable route.
    I also think that I need to pick one strength; the 5% strength. Reliance on companies that produce 10-15 % minoxidils is risky, because they emerge and disappear quite quickly. But my question is, if the switch from 6.3% to 5% would lead to a shock loss of hair. Alternatively, how long should I taper the dosages? Has anybody an experience of this sort?

You know, saying that the difference between 6% and 5% is "minute" must be supported by some evidence. I also thought that the difference between 10% EOD and 5% ED was "minute". But it was a disaster.