+ Reply to Thread

Default Have you guys tried just ditching shampoo?

This might not be a "future" hair loss treatment, but for some of us who use it it will be. I spend my days glossing over this forum but dont generally say anything. Of late I think I'm onto something.

I've spent 6 years taking propecia and rogaine pretty consistently with the occasional hiccup here and there. I'm 24 now. I continued to lose hair each and every year. I also shampooed every single day because I liked the fuller looking hair afterwards. The dryer it was the fuller it looked and I loved it. But by the end of the day my head began to already look greasy, and by the next it would be a disaster and I would have to wash again. My hair was dry and it hurt when I ran my hands through it. I continued shampooing almost every day for years because of my obsession with a fuller looking head of hair.

I recently came across an article about a fad of going all natural and not using shampoo so I figured I'd give it a shot. Nothing to lose right?

I just want to say that I believe for some of us, those who propecia and rogaine havent worked much for. Your shampoo might be the problem.

By striping out the natural oils in your scalp, it causes an over production which leads to a overly greasy head in a short period of time. I'm no scientist but when you look at that and then the chemicals your putting in your hair it would seem to make sense. Once again, not for everyone, but for some of us, shampoo might aggravate and bring on hair loss. The shampoo we use in the modern age is a fairly recent "fad", we used natural cleansers for ages before.

The way I wash my hair now is with baking soda for shampoo, and then diluted Apple cider vinegar for conditioner. My head has never felt or looked better. It doesn't get greasy, I don't get random pimples on my scalp, my hair is soft, I can run my hands through it, and the next morning it looks great! Keep in mind that there's a transition period and you can actually ween yourself off everything completely and just use water at some point!

Here's an article about it below. Don't mind the people in it with heads of hair. Generally hippies have tons of hair, they might be doing something right in the scalp department.

http://www.thelovevitamin.com/2269/no-shampoo-method/

You are probably imagining it unless you have photographic evidence. There are times when my hair looks like crap and other times looks very full, I bet it depends on my mood and the hair is the same

You started using fin at 18? Did you self-medicated or what?

I had a scalp biopsy done. I realized I was losing a lot of hair and had a "use it, or lose it mentality" so I went on both rogaine and propecia at that age. Kind of wish I hadn't but, I did.

Possibly, but as a determined hair loss explorer of 6 years, my head feels really good for the first time in a long time. In our effort to thwart hair loss I don't think many of us actually think of just eliminating shampoo. I'm not saying to just do that and not use rogaine and propecia because I still do. However I believe my head has become healthier with this introduction of the no-poo method.

No; no one in the history of hair loss has ever tried dropping shampoo.

And sorry for the sarcasm, but this thread is rather pointless. I buzz my head; I haven't used shampoo in years. I continue to lose more hair.

/thread.

Also, this should hardly be posted in this forum section.

But hey, that's what our heavy moderation is for, right?