+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Typical 20 Year Old Hairloss Story

Hi all,

I'm 20 and have been slowly losing my hair over the past couple of years however, now it's becoming more and more noticeable. I've been taking finesteride since July of last year so I'm coming up to my 7th month now and I'm seeing little to no results. I'm still having shedding (although not as severe as before) and I've still got an irritated scalp.

I've been to my doctor about my scalp and he seems baffled as I have no signs of ringworm etc and the finesteride should be helping with it. I'm trying to stay positive and ride it out until the year point to asses it then but I'm looking for any kind of help with stuff I can do or just general feedback on my story.

Thanks!

Some argue that it can take up to a full 18 months for Finasteride to truly kick in and give results. So you could just be a late developer into it. Any issue's with sides in all 7 months and are you on 1mg or 5mg Proscar cut up?

I'm on 5mg cut up and have only seen a continued receding hairline and thinning hair. I've always had really thick hair and since mine's a bit longer I've been able to hide it a little bit but it's becoming harder to do so

Quote Originally Posted by BMTridge View Post
    I'm on 5mg cut up and have only seen a continued receding hairline and thinning hair. I've always had really thick hair and since mine's a bit longer I've been able to hide it a little bit but it's becoming harder to do so
    You should be happy you did something about it early and already have 7 months under your belt.

No negatives based on what you said. So, I'd say just stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    You should be happy you did something about it early and already have 7 months under your belt.

No negatives based on what you said. So, I'd say just stick with it.
    I'm definitely glad I have 7 months already and will definitely stick with it for the foreseeable future. Although it seems like I'm going through a second shed and having the itch still is frustrating. Is this a normal thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BMTridge View Post
    I'm definitely glad I have 7 months already and will definitely stick with it for the foreseeable future. Although it seems like I'm going through a second shed and having the itch still is frustrating. Is this a normal thing?
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm about 5 days in on fin and shedding pretty good - shedding more profusely than I've ever shed before.

I'm committed to fin, so I won't be over thinking the shed or sides or any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm about 5 days in on fin and shedding pretty good - shedding more profusely than I've ever shed before.

I'm committed to fin, so I won't be over thinking the shed or sides or any of that.
    Oh yeah definitely, it's worth a shot and I'll definitely be taking it for the foreseeable future. I didn't have my first shed until my fourth month from memory so good thing for you that you're getting it out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Yes it's normal. Same thing happened for me.

Also, fin is sometimes said to be less effective on the hairline, so do consider that too.
    At what point did you start seeing results? I've had some issues with bad dandruff and I've noticed sometimes it pulls out what appears to be new/shorter hairs so it's hard to know if they're coming or going.

My hair was feeling pretty weak before I started taking it and had since gotten better but parts of it feel weak again. I'm thinking it's part of the shed though.

Just wanted to say it seems as though I'm still shedding which is hurting my thickness quite a lot now.

It's very frustrating to see people have results at 5 months and for me at my 8th month to be struggling. Any tips/guidance?

Thought I'd update this, still experiencing shedding after almost 3 months now. At my 9th month and balding is very evident. I'm going to stay on the medication but such a long shed doesn't seem normal and is really disheartening.