+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 22 Years Old - I've decided to go on Finasteride.

So about 6 months ago I started to realise that I'm losing my hair, I'd say I'm about a NW2-2.5 on the scale. My hair is mostly still thick, but it seems I'm in the early stages of some crown thinning as well as hairline recession.

So I've been toying with the idea of going on finasteride for the last 6 months, and I'm finally ready to take the plunge - I'm well aware of the potential side effects, but I've reached the point where I can't bear to lose any more hair, it's started to really affect my confidence and mood as of late.

I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if someone would answer:

-How long does the inital shedding on fin last?
    -If I make some lifestyle changes, i.e. start working out and improve my diet, will it lessen the chances of me developing sides?
    -Where would I go about getting finasteride? do I just go the my GP, or should I make an appointment with a dermatologist? (I live in the UK)

It's very very difficult to get fin. for hair loss in the UK legitimately. I may have to give up using it as my GP won't have anything to do with me using it, or give me access to the blood tests that I need while taking it.

I don't think my GP would prescribe it to me either. He seems really anti drugs, I could just imagine him saying that I should just accept it and go bald and that it happens to everyone eventually or something along those lines.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentLine View Post
    I don't think my GP would prescribe it to me either. He seems really anti drugs, I could just imagine him saying that I should just accept it and go bald and that it happens to everyone eventually or something along those lines.
    That's what my GP said, and took my fin packet, denied me blood tests or any more fin., said "I'm disregarding this diagnosis and treatment plan", hand waved away the letter from the private dermatologist I saw. I didn't have any luck last time ages ago, so I went to a private dermatologist, which I couldn't really afford, TBH. My GP blew his top that I'd seen someone privately outside the NHS system without letting him know, but he didn't want me seeing an NHS dermatologist in the past! I have no idea what to do now, looks extremely likely that my hair loss battle ends soon. The NHS just doesn't want people using hair loss treatments.

I haven't used any of these myself as im to concerned about the thought of lowering dht: which im sure you know is a powerful male sex hormone responsible for the size and frequency of your erections. However i am still often tempted to give it a shot and have found that in the UK you can a prescription from your GP and if your lucky they might allow you to use 5mg finasteride if you explain to them your more than capable of using a pill cutter. If your able to do that it will save you a hell of a lot of money. Another option is to order online from ukfonasteride.info, lots of users order from here and speak very highly of it even though the website does nothing to instill confidence. Selected boots stores also do propecia at £90 for 3month supply under their hair retention program. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    It's very very difficult to get fin. for hair loss in the UK legitimately. I may have to give up using it as my GP won't have anything to do with me using it, or give me access to the blood tests that I need while taking it.
    Rubbish. You know you can buy it from boots or from the Internet or privately. My GP gave me a private prescription, but you can get it much cheaper if you look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Rubbish. You know you can buy it from boots or from the Internet or privately. My GP gave me a private prescription, but you can get it much cheaper if you look around.
    I think you've had a fluke. Are you allowed by your GP to get the regular blood tests?

It's not so much buying the drug that's worrying me, it's the lack of access to blood tests and so on. I don't want to have my hair loss worries 'treated' by being doped up on Lorazepam.

Yeah my GP tested me to see if it was a medical condition firstly (all tests came back normal, Im sure I can obtain a copy). After I was given my prescription for Fin and was told to see him for regular blood tests.

Wow, your NHS GP did all that?! And he was happy to prescribe you fin. for hair loss himself?!