+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Baldy,

I see that you joined last month so welcome to this hairloss community. A couple of things.

First, at 23 years of age, you definitely have IMHO some visual signs of MPB in your frontal zone and the temporal lobe areas. I see both diffusing and some mild recession. I believe some of your hairline movement though is simply a matter of your youthful hairline moving up with age. This happens to many men even to those who do not have MPB.

You also do have some history of MPB so unless you get on some DHT inhibitor, the progression will continue. But it's the rate of progression that cannot be pre-determined by anyone. This is obviously why we ask about family history and why the hairloss meds are often recommended to buy us time. The meds never cure genetic hairloss.

If finasteride is giving you any sides or you prefer to just not take it, there are a number of shampoo related products which claim they remove DHT from the sebum layer of the scalp. You just have to do a search on the internet and see what is available. Most do not require a prescription such as Nizoral (Ketoconazole 1&#37. It also helps control flaking, scaling, and itching. You may already be under the care of a dermatologist and see what they might recommend in light of your seboreic dermatitis condition. HairGenesis is another popular product claiming to remove accumulated DHT from both the sebum and adds DHT blockers to the hair follicles. These are readily available from the over-the-counter pharmacy and even some upper end styling salons. I personally do not endorse either product but some guys state they have some good results with them.

IMHO, finasteride is still the single most effective hairloss medication available through prescription. If there are sides, your hairloss doctor can potentially adjust the frequency of ingestion since finasteride has a positive shelf-life.

The good news is that it does not sound like you have family history of men reaching the upper classes of hairloss. Yes, some HT surgeons may consider you for surgery but I believe many of them would be concerned about you experiencing shockloss when you have so much native hair exisitng and diffusing right now. Surgery can also start to advance the receding at a young age and I have talked with many guys who began to "chase" their hairloss with more and more surgery. This may have been the first doctor's concern, not necessarily his opinion that you did not have MPB at all.

But possibly doing a small FUE session would help you close some of the temporal recession as long as the lobes are not brought forward too much. Once the grafts are placed, you cannot move them south and you want to preserve donor for future work should you continue to recede which is obviously very likely over your lifetime. Your hairline can be potentially strengthened as long as again the placement of the grafts are not juvenile.

It's the diffusion that I believe that you are noticing in the frontal zone and yes there are some docs that can potentially examine your entire scalp with a high-powered scope and actually show you on a monitor where the diffusing is impeding.

Why do I suggest FUE? Because again of the family history and the likelyhood that you will never go advanced or completely bald. Notice the key word is "likely". This is why a safe more conservative approach is more fitted for you IMHO. I recommend strip to guys who do have lots of hairloss in their cards so-to-speak. But if you can get through this life without multiple sessions, then FUE will not leave you with a strip scar. You may want to buzz your scalp sometime in the future.

Hope this is of some help to you and wish you the best in your journey of research.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

VERY informative answers i got,thank you!Well as i said one uncle was bald not in the crown but he died young at his 40

i'll check for these sampoos for sure!

also what doctors are these who can examine my entire scalp?

is there any areas where i should use rogaine