+ Reply to Thread

Default Taking .25mg - .5mg fin in hopes of reducing sides with same effectiveness. thoughts?

I was just prescribed finasteride 1mg once daily and took my first pill today. I cut the pill in half and took a .5mg dose. What is the consensus on taking smaller fin doses to yield the same hair loss goal, while hopefully minimizing sides? I have read as little as .2mg can have the same effectiveness for the hair treatment as 1mg... and surely the risk of side effects are lower. From the research I have done, the FDA recommended dose of 1mg/day for hairloss is a bit excessive and unnecessary... do you think .5mg/day is a good start for me? Could I even decrease it to .25mg/day or maybe .5mg every other day? I'm a young healthy male of 24 years old... and honestly I am not all that concerned with the side effects, as I have a pretty healthy body and usually don't run into problems like that. I just think there is no reason to load my body with more of this drug than I really need. what do you guys think, in your opinion, would be a good starting point for me as far as MG and per day or every other day??

Thanks a lot guys!

Hey Ben,

Its definately a good idea to start off slow and steady and allow the body to get introduced to the new drug. ).5mg of finasteride is actually nearly as effective as 1mg anyway at suppressing DHT

See this chart below

My advice is build up gradually and dont be on any rush - aim to build up to a minimum of 0.5 daily over the course of the next few months

See this topic i made on Propecia Transition

:http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ght=transition

Best
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Hey Ben,

Its definately a good idea to start off slow and steady and allow the body to get introduced to the new drug. ).5mg of finasteride is actually nearly as effective as 1mg anyway at suppressing DHT

See this chart below

My advice is build up gradually and dont be on any rush - aim to build up to a minimum of 0.5 daily over the course of the next few months

See this topic i made on Propecia Transition

:http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ght=transition

Best
    Spex
    This is exactly the reason that what OP is doing is pointless unless he's only trying to save money. Since most reasonable doses inhibit about the same amount of DHT, you'll get sides if you're going to get them at any dose you take. That is, of course, unless sides are caused by some unknown mechanism of fin but that is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    This is exactly the reason that what OP is doing is pointless unless he's only trying to save money. Since most reasonable doses inhibit about the same amount of DHT, you'll get sides if you're going to get them at any dose you take. That is, of course, unless sides are caused by some unknown mechanism of fin but that is unlikely.
    Wholeheartedly agree with you. But since so many guys are manic obsessive about sides, if it offers peace of mind, whatever.

What exactly is the mechanism by which sides occur due to fin? If they really are unknown, I'd just as soon err on the side of caution.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with you. But since so many guys are manic obsessive about sides, if it offers peace of mind, whatever.

What exactly is the mechanism by which sides occur due to fin? If they really are unknown, I'd just as soon err on the side of caution.
    I would imagine it's the obvious: the fact that we are depriving ourselves of DHT. I think the folks over at propeciahelp have a bunch of other hypotheses, including that fin interacts with neurosteroids (which I BELIEVE has actually been confirmed). This, however, is currently useless information since I don't think we know a great deal about them and there's currently no way to monitor their levels AFAIK.