+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: S-equol again

For some of us it's not whether or not we want to take Propecia.

I've taken Propecia, and experienced sides. My body cannot tolerate Propecia. For this reason, I need to seek out other avenues to treat this condition.

Any updates on this?

Is it possible to test if you naturally make Equol?

Cheers

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/8/2188.long

Found this document that describes how to test for Equol productions. Basicly you drink 500ml of soy milk for three days then test your urine for Equol. I wonder who has the equipment to do this.

Might be worth drinking 500ml of soy milk a day for a month and see if it reduces my scalp itch.

FYI For those who have been waiting for Nature Made to release their S-Equol product, it is still not available. However, a large vitamin manufacturer called Natures Sunshine has released an equol product called Equolibrium. Each capsule contains 6 mg of equol.

As you may recall, the lead researchers of equol over the past decade filed a patent: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100076071 which concerning dosage, states:

"Generally, a dose sufficient to produce a concentration of equol or active fragments thereof in the bloodstream of the recipient of at least about 0.2 mg equol per kg weight of the recipient and preferably at least about 0.5 mg/kg. The dose may be increased dramatically without incurring significant dose-limiting side effects to greater than about 10 mg/kg."

Dosage depends on bodyweight but for me, I calculate that to keep a relatively steady state of .5mg per kg of bodyweight of equol in my bloodstream, I need to take 8 capsules, 3 times per day given the half life of equol (about 8 hours). See http://www.naturalequol.com/pharmacokinetics.html "S-equol is rapidly absorbed after oral administration and rapidly excreted in urine, according to a pharmacokinetics evaluation of 12 healthy post-menopausal US women, including equol producers and non-equol producers. The average half-life, the time for plasma concentrations to decrease by 50 percent, was 7 to 8 hours." This will be an expensive experiment costing somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 for 1 year but after many many years of success with propecia, which I am still, I am no longer winning the battle. Keep in mind this mainly a maintenance option. I will keep you posted.

Pinot>>> thanks for the update on s-equol. Although most don't seem to be interested I would really appreciate if you could provide updates for the s-equol treatment either here or by PM. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks1089 View Post
    Pinot>>> thanks for the update on s-equol. Although most don't seem to be interested I would really appreciate if you could provide updates for the s-equol treatment either here or by PM. Thanks!
    Definitely. I agree there does not seem to be much interest, possibly b/c some tried s-equol from sources that I would characterize as less than credible with no results But I believe this is the first legitimate source. I will be 7 weeks in on Monday.

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by PinotQ View Post
    Definitely. I agree there does not seem to be much interest, possibly b/c some tried s-equol from sources that I would characterize as less than credible with no results But I believe this is the first legitimate source. I will be 7 weeks in on Monday.

Pinot, have you noticed a reduction in hairloss at all? Any thickening?

Quote Originally Posted by nliyan25 View Post
    Pinot, have you noticed a reduction in hairloss at all? Any thickening?
    Nliyan25, I believe it is way to early to draw any conclusions. I have never counted hairs or really noticed an unusual or excessive amount of shedding. My hair loss has always been very gradual over time. I have tried many products over the years and many times had thought a product was working when it fact it was not as many factors such as weather, hair cut, length of hair, etc. can give the illusion of improvement in the short term. So I believe it will take 4 to 6 months, and maybe longer, before I am able to draw any type of conclusion. Two things I will note are that; 1) my scalp feels very good; and 2) in the last month my hair appeared to have grown at a much faster rate than usual. My hair was very definitely longer when I got it cut (every 4 weeks) however that could theoretically have been b/c it wasn't cut as short the previous hair cut. If this observation was not an illusion, it would almost certainly be b/c of s-equol's effect on the estrogen B receptors. Not only does s-equol bind to DHT but it also binds to the estrogen B receptor which is thought to promote hair growth. For those who have read the many studies on s-equol, it is without doubt that equol binds with strong affinity to DHT without negative hormonal side effects so there is certainly a reasonable possibility that it has the potential to shut down hair loss. The big question would seem to be dosage. Except for the cost of taking the 144 mg per day, I would take s-equol if it wasn't effective for hair loss b/c of the fact that it is a powerful antioxidant, reduces wrinkles and benefits the health of your skin, and it lowers LDL cholesterol.

Default Good results

Those results still sound promising to me. Let us know what your condition is in a few months.

Default Awesome

Hey Pinot I've been a lurker on here and *** for around 3 years now. Nothing ever sparked an interest in me enough to post. However I am very much interested in this stuff and have seen you'd been following this treatment for quite a while. Just want to say thank you for all your informative posts, and I will continue to check up on your updates. Good luck brother!