+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: S-equol again

I tried calling them, and they asked about my account password blah blah blah. Why do they make answering a simple question so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu2 View Post
    I tried calling them, and they asked about my account password blah blah blah. Why do they make answering a simple question so difficult.
    If I get some time today, I will try to call them since I do have an account.

Default Natures made realise date not looking promising

Michael,

Currently S-equol supplements are only available through the Sampling Trial and a launch date has not been announced. If you like to get more information please visit our website at www.naturalequol.com.

Any updates pinotq ? Your hair loss stable or you stopped shedding , I'm really interested In adding this to minoxdill any ideas how much?

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    Any updates pinotq ? Your hair loss stable or you stopped shedding , I'm really interested In adding this to minoxdill any ideas how much?
    Too early to make any assessments. I have never really noticed much shedding so I wouldn't see any change in that respect anyway. 10 weeks in on Monday at 48mg, 3 times per day. No idea on quantity if you are mixing with minoxidil. I did email Nature's Sunshine regarding the S vs R equol issue and got a quick reply stating that they would forward my question to the health science department.

Nothing really new in this link but I think it contains a good summary of the many unique possibilities of the equol molecule:

http://techtransfer.byu.edu/products...weight-control

Note the inventors are the same group that have been researching equol for over 15 years.

The product page for Nature's Sunshine Equolibrium states that "equol is a naturally occurring flavonoid found in some plants, including beans, cabbage and lettuce. It is a powerful antioxidant. Nature’s Sunshine’s Equolibrium uses a nature-identical source of equol derived from non-GMO daidzein."

I'm guessing that this is probably a racemic mixture since they are non-specific about it:

http://www.masterorganicchemistry.co...cemic-mixture/

It appears that it is possible to synthesize an R/S equol mixture from daidzein:

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/2/3/340/pdf

"Racemic (±)-equol can be synthesized from daidzein and formonetin, which
    are readily available in sufficient quantities from plants or can be prepared by chemical synthesis."

You can produce pure s-equol using a certain bacteria (on daidzein, I believe):

"The pure S-equol enantiomer can be produced by microbiological methods"

They may be doing either, and they may be isolating the s-equol from the racemic equol. It's hard to say which, but I'm thinking it's a mix of R and S equol.

Also, Otsuka Pharmaceuticals, the parent company of NaturesMade/Pharmavite, released an s-equol product in Japan back in April:
    http://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/product/equelle/

It hasn't quite made it to the states, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Adaku View Post
    The product page for Nature's Sunshine Equolibrium states that "equol is a naturally occurring flavonoid found in some plants, including beans, cabbage and lettuce. It is a powerful antioxidant. Nature’s Sunshine’s Equolibrium uses a nature-identical source of equol derived from non-GMO daidzein."

I'm guessing that this is probably a racemic mixture since they are non-specific about it:

http://www.masterorganicchemistry.co...cemic-mixture/

It appears that it is possible to synthesize an R/S equol mixture from daidzein:

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/2/3/340/pdf

"Racemic (±)-equol can be synthesized from daidzein and formonetin, which
    are readily available in sufficient quantities from plants or can be prepared by chemical synthesis."

You can produce pure s-equol using a certain bacteria (on daidzein, I believe):

"The pure S-equol enantiomer can be produced by microbiological methods"

They may be doing either, and they may be isolating the s-equol from the racemic equol. It's hard to say which, but I'm thinking it's a mix of R and S equol.
    So your saying natures sunshine is not 100 percent s-equol

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    So your saying natures sunshine is not 100 percent s-equol
    Not necessarily, it could be, but I think it's more likely something closer to 50% R-equol and 50% S-equol. That may or may not be terribly significant. R-equol binds dht as well, as far as I could tell. I am not sure if the two are metabolized the same, however, which may affect the dosage. I plan to look into that when I get a chance.

I've been taking about 36 mg / day (12mg every ~8 hours) of Nature's Sunshine Equolibrium for 2 months now. Not long enough for any changes. In retrospect, I do think a blood test would've been a good idea before and after starting it.