Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldymcgee
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by PinotQ
    Yes Nature's Sunshine is the only version currently available. Here is a link to the Equolibrium page:

http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/ge...(60%20capsules
    Thanks for the URL!

They only call this "Equol" as opposed to "S-Equol" -- is there a difference?

Comment

• redsiberian
      • Feb 2013

Yes there is a difference between R-Equol and S-Equol. THe fact that Nature's Sunshine won't reveal which type is in its product is a bad sign.

Comment

• baldymcgee
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by redsiberian
        Yes there is a difference between R-Equol and S-Equol. THe fact that Nature's Sunshine won't reveal which type is in its product is a bad sign.
        G*d dammit. Has anyone contacted them to inquire?

Comment

• PinotQ
          • May 2010

Originally posted by baldymcgee
          G*d dammit. Has anyone contacted them to inquire?
          They did not respond to my email but you could call them. My understanding is that s-equol is a GRAS product (generally regarded as safe) and therefore does not require FDA approval. But r-equol does not naturally occur as a byproduct of soy in the body and is not GRAS. So I assume if they can sell it, it must be s-equol.

Comment

• cthulhu2
            • Jun 2014

They did not respond to my email but you could call them. My understanding is that s-equol is a GRAS product (generally regarded as safe) and therefore does not require FDA approval. But r-equol does not naturally occur as a byproduct of soy in the body and is not GRAS. So I assume if they can sell it, it must be s-equol.
            I agree with this, the company seems to manufacturer only natural products and since they are marketing it for bph it sounds like s-equol.

Comment

• Californication
              • Mar 2013

good to see you back on this topic PinotQ, I remember discussing this with you before.

Theoretically, would this lead to gyno symptoms as well? Since even if the hormonal levels are not changed, DHT is an antagonist of estrogen? I know there's only one way to find out but I'm loathe to go down that path again so curious about any opinions.

Comment

• thechamp
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Californication
                good to see you back on this topic PinotQ, I remember discussing this with you before.

Theoretically, would this lead to gyno symptoms as well? Since even if the hormonal levels are not changed, DHT is an antagonist of estrogen? I know there's only one way to find out but I'm loathe to go down that path again so curious about any opinions.
                Good Qestion I also want to know if I will gain weight on this ??

Comment

• PinotQ
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Californication

Californication, To take your line of thought 1 step further, equol also binds to estrogen receptor B so it also acts as an estrogen......hopefully a positive with regard to hair. I don't know the answer but you might suspect that if DHT was an antagonist of estrogen, that lower levels of DHT would result in higher levels of estradiol. Numerous studies confirm that estradiol levels remain unchanged with the use of equol. Similarly and although I do not believe this has been studied enough in depth to confirm, but equol does not appear to increase the risk of estrogen sensitive breast cancer. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...129719753.html Beyond that, all I can say is that after 9 weeks at 144mg per day, I have experienced no negative side effects. I work out regularly and have also noticed no decrease in muscle mass or increase in weight.

Comment

• hgs1989
                    • Mar 2014

Californication, To take your line of thought 1 step further, equol also binds to estrogen receptor B so it also acts as an estrogen......hopefully a positive with regard to hair. I don't know the answer but you might suspect that if DHT was an antagonist of estrogen, that lower levels of DHT would result in higher levels of estradiol. Numerous studies confirm that estradiol levels remain unchanged with the use of equol. Similarly and although I do not believe this has been studied enough in depth to confirm, but equol does not appear to increase the risk of estrogen sensitive breast cancer. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...129719753.html Beyond that, all I can say is that after 9 weeks at 144mg per day, I have experienced no negative side effects. I work out regularly and have also noticed no decrease in muscle mass or increase in weight.
                    how about effects on hair ?

Comment

• PinotQ
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by hgs1989
                      how about effects on hair ?
                      Too early to say. I have tried many things over the years and have learned not to jump to any early conclusions. If the benefit is straightline maintenance only, it would probably take a year to make that call. If there are positive growth effects, I would suspect that might become apparent at about the 4 month mark at the earliest. I tried ACell powder/PRP injections and was told I would see nothing for 4 months.........and that is exactly what happened.........I saw thickening at 4 months which later faded. So anything I could say now would be little more than wishful thinking.

Comment

• baldymcgee
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cthulhu2
                        I agree with this, the company seems to manufacturer only natural products and since they are marketing it for bph it sounds like s-equol.
                        I totally get that but, if that was the case, then why wouldn't they market it as such? Or, at least, respond to inquiries with something like "we have confirmed the active ingredient in our product to be 95% S-Equol".

The silence troubles me.

Comment

• cthulhu2
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by baldymcgee
                          I totally get that but, if that was the case, then why wouldn't they market it as such? Or, at least, respond to inquiries with something like "we have confirmed the active ingredient in our product to be 95% S-Equol".

The silence troubles me.
                          I will call them tomorrow and report on this. I think most people understand Equol to be S equol, but perhaps they couldn't call it that for patent purposes or something along those lines. This was my guess behind why they were not marketing it for AGA or menopause.

Comment

• thechamp
                            • Jan 2011

Why is S equol so hard to find ?? I mean there have been companies before like foxelen not sure if it was a scam , but S equol itself sounds like a fairy tale product that only excists in fairy tale and on paper?

Comment

• cthulhu2
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by thechamp
                              Why is S equol so hard to find ?? I mean there have been companies before like foxelen not sure if it was a scam , but S equol itself sounds like a fairy tale product that only excists in fairy tale and on paper?
                              Folexen was definitely a scam. The thing about S Equol is it is very difficult to synthesize and mass produce. NatureMade was supposed to have a product out last year but they had some quality control issues which hopefully they will resolve by the end of the year.

Comment

• thechamp
                                • Jan 2011

This is the email I got from natures made about release date

Thank you for your interest in S-equol. In conjunction with our parent company, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Pharmavite LLC is currently studying the supplement containing S-equol for the management of menopausal symptoms. More information about the supplement containing S-equol, including results of studies, can be found at http://www.naturalequol.com. Currently S-equol supplements are not available for purchase and are only available in the U.S. via the Sampling Trial for menopausal symptom relief. If you like to get more information please visit our website at www.naturalequol.com.

Best regards,

Evette Aidinian
                                Associate Brand Manager
                                Pharmavite LLC

Comment

Working...